MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: What size compressor hose?

Boolit Buddy

What size compressor hose?

Since I am building a booth for powder coating I was thinking about mounting a regulator and water filter on the booth. I had to buy a new air compressor as mine died recently. I bought a 17 gallon Dewalt which is overkill for this use, but I use it for other things also, nailing etc. I know that I don't need a lot of pressure, not really sure how much just yet. I thought I could mount a regulator on the booth to step down the pressure from the compressor as they seem cheap enough and also a water filter as I have read humidity can be a problem. So if I do that I may as well have a short hose attached to the booth also and wondered what size people are using for the Harbor Freight guns. Thanks for the help.

Boolit Master
    something that helps to keep water out of your spray gun is to run the hose out of the tank, then coil up some hose, tubing or pipe, whatever works best, then submerge it in water before it goes into a water filter. By chilling the air, the moisture will condense and the filter will remove it. Warm air holds more moisture so the air will still have water that will go through the water separator. This works especially well in warm moist conditions to keep water out of your finish as most finishes including paint will not stick to a water spot.

Boolit Master
    The pressure needed for the hf gun is very low- your results will be best at 15psi or less, in my experience.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    something that helps to keep water out of your spray gun is to run the hose out of the tank, then coil up some hose, tubing or pipe, whatever works best, then submerge it in water before it goes into a water filter. By chilling the air, the moisture will condense and the filter will remove it. Warm air holds more moisture so the air will still have water that will go through the water separator. This works especially well in warm moist conditions to keep water out of your finish as most finishes including paint will not stick to a water spot.
    The above is correct with spray painting liquid paints because of the high pressures (90psi) and volume required. Not so much with PC at 15 psi and spraying for less than a minute, I can spray my 3 racks (714 boolits) in under a minute. Most of the time I let my small pancake come up to pressure and turn it off to let the air cool down for a while, and so that I don't forget to turn it off when done.

Boolit Master

1/4" hose would work fine.

HF comes with a filter but I got the upgraded one, both are at the gun. Any reg. hose but I've heard the coiled ones can be a pain. Filter is mostly to keep powder dry in the gun. I don't worry about air temp, but I got a 20 gal tank.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance

Friend of mine put in 2 air filter stations on his hose line. The first filter station just after the compressor and the 2nd filter station about 8` before the air connection at the end of the line of his 3/8" hose. He has an 1/4" line with regulator that can be hooked into the 3/8" line if an air brush or some other small usage tool is to be used.Robert

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I've always found it interesting that most of the hose available out there is 3/8"........with 1/4" fittings. Not critical when inflating tires, painting, etc. but just try to run a sand blaster with one! Pretty restricted flow....and of course the 1/2" hose goes up dramatically in price. Talk about conspiracy theories......

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I've always found it interesting that most of the hose available out there is 3/8"........with 1/4" fittings. Not critical when inflating tires, painting, etc. but just try to run a sand blaster with one! Pretty restricted flow....and of course the 1/2" hose goes up dramatically in price. Talk about conspiracy theories......
    I have noticed that also it pays to look at the connectors some are bigger then others.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Bigarm: I just use 1/4 hose eight feet long off the regulator, water filter. My gun works best at 8lbs. pressure so no need of more. To the booth regulator I just run my hoses I used in construction business at about 50 lbs off my work (over kill) compressor. GP

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Bigarm: I just use 1/4 hose eight feet long off the regulator, water filter. My gun works best at 8lbs. pressure so no need of more. To the booth regulator I just run my hoses I used in construction business at about 50 lbs off my work (over kill) compressor. GP
    Ok, thanks. I was hoping to use my regular hose to the regulator on the booth and then step it down there. I think it will be easier to watch a regulator there rather than the one on the compressor itself and I will mount a water filter there also. Probably should have one on the compressor itself as it doesn't have one.

Most bigbox store compressors will run out of CFM before the size of the air hose becomes an issue.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmm_3940 View Post
    Most bigbox store compressors will run out of CFM before the size of the air hose becomes an issue.
    I imagine that is true. I was thinking more in terms of using smaller hose to not overpower the gun. I am not very mechanically inclined so don't really know if that is a problem, but the gun and hose on it don't look real sturdy.

Ah, I see. You definitely want to install that regulator you mentioned in that case.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use small aquarium air line inside that corriguated wire wrap from HF with the HF gun coax inside also. ONE hose to mess with! The air line provides pleanty of flow and pressure (~12-14#) I use a small HF reg/gauge combo unit at the control unit with 120# coming from my pancake compressor. Pleanty of air. I took that stupid black fliter off. If you have a problem with moisture in your climalte, buy a dessicant dryer for your compressor output.

Get the hose barb x 1/4" NPT adaptors for the little hose at a hardware store and use a tiny tiewrap on each to keep them from working/blowing off.

banger

Boolit Master

This is the one I use. I got it at Harbor Freight for $9.00.
    I had to buy a extra fitting to hook it to my powder gun.
    I put the pressure regulator at the front of the hose and the water filter at the gun end.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Keep in mind pressure and volume are not the same. As far as the PC guns about any compressor will work but if you getting the compress for duel use around the shop keep volume in mind. A nail gun uses pressure more then volume a air wrench needs volume as well as pressure. That is when you can have a 80 gal tank compressor then add a small air hose and it just will not work right with some tools.
    Lots of different factors just kind of touching on the basics hope that helps those with any ?
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon