RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CVA .32 cal. Squirrel Rifle

Boolit Mold
    I only joined the forum this morning and one of the first things i found was this thread.Kind of funny as last saturday I was in a local pawnshop checking out the inventory when I spotted a smaller than usual smoke pole.Turned out to be a TC .32 for $240 and as i was offered(not accepted)$400.00 for my Seneca I thought it was a no brainer.Took it to the range yesterday,screwed up and packed the ff instead of the fff and forgot the wiping stick.After 2 offhand to see if it would hit paper with 30gr followed by 2 off a front rest,I increased to 40 grand started making one big hole.Cant with to try the fff and wiping between shots.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0541.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	116434

Wiping between shots is overrated 😉

Boolit Grand Master

I found with my 32 if I don't wipe at least once every 3rd shot, accuracy falls off quick. Each gun reacts differently.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    S&W can shove it where the sun dont shine. on another note, Id bet that a mould maker could make a new maxi-mould. always wanted the complete collection

I ended up with an older CVA Squirrel kit that someone assembled without really finishing. Traded an archery rest for it if I recall correctly. Had a gun builder make a new stock for it as there's very little drop and very difficult for even kids to get down far enough to align the stock. What he sent to me was nothing short of beautiful, being a decent piece of curly maple and trimmed out like a classic half-stock. She shoots great and the kids love it as I do.

Here's one of my boys telling me all about it after we got her back from getting her new clothes...

Boolit Master
    FEI... wiping after and between shots really improves group size.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Makes loading much easier also .

Boolit Master
    Funny how stuff happens. Just returned from visit with my Fathers best friend and his wife, kind of an aunt/uncle and has been since my parents passing. The Mrs. and I met them for lunch and a chat and he informed me I needed to swing by after lunch to look at some things. Well, it turned out things were an 1873 trapdoor, a Parker double, and a 32 squirrel with set triggers. Nothing museum quality but I informed him I needed that 32, we will see.

Boolit Master
    That's a lot of powder for a .32cal.I use about 20 grains of 3fffg & never over 25.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    Neat little rifles. I have a kit in my garage that I started on years ago and never got around to finishing. Maybe this winter.

Boolit Mold
    I have a left-hand CVA squirrel rifle. It has 1:48 twist and double set triggers. I bought it and another one from a guy on an auction site. When he bought them as kits.All he did was to slobber some ugly blondish stain on the stocks and hang them on his cabin wall.Didn't even wipe the cosmoline off the steel parts.
    I got lucky and was able to win the bidding for what normally one was selling for at the time,6 years ago. I cleaned them up and have since sold one for more than I had invested in the two,even with a cracked stock. I am saving that one for my daughter and have a Crockett for myself.

In Remembrance
    The mail lady just delivered my new to me crockett woo hoo. It is right handed (which sucks for my use) but I actually bought it to see about getting the grandaughters started in muzzies. We will see how that turns out.lol

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    the CVA, (.32)and most everything but the TC is 1-48 twist Mine all seem to lean about 20-22 grains (with Goex 3f) and are more finicky do dial in. The TC has a twist of 1-30 and seems to just do well with any load. you can load them down to 12 grains or so and still be accurate. Loaded heavier, a 108 grn maxi shoots pretty well to 70-80 yards. (roundballs are 41-47 grn depending on size/mix)
    Im right handed, left eye, So I shoot most everything lefty. all my guns are right handed

Boolit Master

Squeeze
    I think my cherokees are 1 in 48 twist as that was the standard TC twist for all their rifles except I think the big boar. Can't find my list of all the calibers and twists right at the moment.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    I have 3 of them, all 1-30 something else is possible, but its probably not a TC barrel then.

Boolit Bub
    Just got a Joe Schell southern rifle in .32. THEY ARE A BLAST TO SHOOT! Cannot believe I waited so long to get a real squirrel rifle.

I never wipe between shots and get one hole accuracy. The trick is to use the right lube and shoot a snug fit prb. I lube with Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube. The Traditions Crockett is amazing. Mine was capable of sub 1" groups at 50 yards without wiping.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master

2f or 3f works anyway

Quote Originally Posted by scouse View Post
    I only joined the forum this morning and one of the first things i found was this thread.Kind of funny as last saturday I was in a local pawnshop checking out the inventory when I spotted a smaller than usual smoke pole.Turned out to be a TC .32 for $240 and as i was offered(not accepted)$400.00 for my Seneca I thought it was a no brainer.Took it to the range yesterday,screwed up and packed the ff instead of the fff and forgot the wiping stick.After 2 offhand to see if it would hit paper with 30gr followed by 2 off a front rest,I increased to 40 grand started making one big hole.Cant with to try the fff and wiping between shots.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0541.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	116434
    I did the same thing taking my brand new Crockett to the range. Was using 777 2f as I had grabbed the wrong bottle.. Using 20 gr. 2f 777, a .310 ball & .015" patch I put the very first shot in the center of the X with no sight adjustment and first 3 into an inch @50yds. Love that gun.

In Remembrance
    My first .32 was a Dixie Mountain rifle. I got it from the daughter of a friend....man, could she shoot that gun! It was a right hand percussion ( don't think they made a LH .32) and I swapped out Dixie parts (lock plate, hammer, frizzen and spring)for about $45.00 instead of paying $130.00 for the flint lock. I eventually sold the gun as I was wanting left hand flintlocks. The one I have now is a semi-custom left hand .32 Flintlock that cost 3 times as much but is a very nice rifle.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

I built CVA Squirrel Rifle from a kit in the early 80's. I tiger striped the stock with a small brazing tip on a O/A torch. It turned out beautifully and shot great. It had DST and if I remember correctly my loads approached .22 Mag ballistics. I took it to a gun show to show it off and a man grinned and paid me twice what I had in it. Yes, I miss it! Best, Thomas.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast