MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Bullet not seating

Bullet not seating

I re-load 9mm 40 cal .308 and 22-250 everything is fine except when I reload my 22-250 the bullets do not seat and the bolt will not close I have to tap the bolt to get it open at first I thought it was a bullet thing but I can put just the brass into the barrel and that won't seat either it'll stick out a bit . The brass measures out but I haven't measured the shoulder and some say that might be the problem and it needs to be set back if that's the case how does one go about doing this ? All your help is greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master

P M sent, how's it going?

Does new brass work? What about factory loads? Is this happening with once fired brass? Had the same problem with a 243 win bolt action. Had to get a small base sizing die.
    Dd you try smoking the outside of the brass and then try it in the chamber. Look and see were the smoking is rubbed off.

This brass was given to me so I have no idea how many times it's been fired.
    What's this small base sizing die ? I've been away from re-loading for 30+years
    so I'm not to familiar with the new things.
    A factory run works just fine but this other brass will stick out 1/32 or so the
    measurements of the brass are what the book says but I need to measure the
    top of the neck to the shoulder I know there's something off somewhere.

Boolit Master

Are you neck sizing or full length resizing? If this is brass you've not fired in your gun, then it needs to at least be full length resized enough to chamber.

If you are just trying to neck size and load the brass given to you, then the chamber that the brass was fired in was larger than the chamber of your rifle. If full length resized brass won't chamber, then a small base die may be required (sizes your case slightly smaller than a full length resize die). I have loaded for a few different rifles and have not seen the need for a small base die. Not saying that there aren't instances where needed, but a full-length resize has always solved chambering issues for me.

Be aware of spring in the press. If you adjust the die to just touch the shellholder and it is still not resized enough, screw the die in another 1/4 turn past contact.

Brad

Love Life
    FL size the brass.

Boolit Master

To answer your question, to set back the shoulder just run the sizing die down further until the brass will seat.

Brad ,
    I've tried setting the die lower but it will not go down to the shell holder.
    This small case sizing die, who makes them and would Cabela's carry this or
    would I need to check out Midway or Graff & Sons

Boolit Master

The die should be adjustable so that it can touch the shellholder. That is the generic RCBS instruction for setting up a die.

What brand and model is your press and your dies. Are they a neck size set or a full length (F.L.) set?

I still think that a full length resize where the die touches the shellholder will fix your problem.

Brad

Boolit Buddy
    If you can't get the brass to run in a full length die, a small-base die will be even worse. Lubricate the brass and then make the shell-holder reach the bottom of the sizing die. If it absolutely refuses to go then: (1) it's the wrong die, or (2) it's the wrong brass

Boolit Grand Master

A small base die is cut to min dimensions at the body and base, normally used for tight chambers. On used once fired brass from a diffrent rifle full length sizing is almost always a must. Loosen lock ring on die and free up if sticky or stuck. Turn in to press untill it just touches the shell holder firmly. A cigerette paper between shell holder and die bottom will set you about +.002 high. Try a case here and see if it chambers freely. Measuring case heads ahead of the extractor groove and comparing to factory cases fired in your rifle will give you an idea of what is happening. Use a michrometer for this. Some 22-250s have been loaded to upper end + pressures expanding case heads more. To measure the Shoulder dimension you need a little gage to set over the neck and rest at middle of shoulder then you can measure the problem cases to working cases, not a true measurement but a comparative measurement. There are tools for this available from sinclairs also.

Thank you