Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strike Anywhere Matches

Boolit Master

Strike Anywhere Matches

Attachment 115935
    Some months ago, well it could have been a year or more ago, there was a thread on strike anywhere matches and how they were all but impossible to find. Well, I found a source for them.
    I was in Amish country in Indiana camping this past week end and at a popular Amish grocery store in Shipshewana I found a very good supply of them and bought a few boxes.

Attachment 115936

There is a email address on the box and if you can't make it out it's custserv@penleycorp.net
    Snail mail address is;

Penley
    P.O. Box 277
    West Paris, Maine 04289
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I had herd that they aren't strike anywhere any more, the EPA got to em and they can only be struck in a regulated areas only!

Boolit Master

These are imported here from Chile.
    Maybe they just can't be manufactured here.

Diamond still lists them on their site and I see them for sale at the local grocery store and farm store too.

http://www.diamondbrands.com/
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Mold
    The last batch of diamond matches that I bought appeared to have a very short shelf life.

Boolit Master
    Main reason strike anywhere matches are impossible to find in some areas? Truth be told it is because the chemicals used to make them are used by crystal meth cookers as one of their ingredients. Yep same reason you can't hardly buy sudafed anymore. Along with Propane and a couple other chems in the right proportions you get that crud that some morons actually put in their body. Is it any wonder we keep seeing meth houses and trailers blow up? Can you imagine some half out of it junkie scraping the end off of a match while another one is trying to adjust a propane tank? In my area stores have simply stopped even trying to carry them because of these motards.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

WOW, I paid only 89¢ a box for mine.
    Amazon want $5.25 + shipping. I should have bought more.
    Last edited by Hickory; 09-12-2014 at 07:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    I find them at the gun show 3 boxes wrapped together in shrink wrap for $5. Yes, they strike anywhere thats rough enough. Only problem is they absorb moisture and do get impossible to light if kept in a damp environment. They do dry out quickly in a warm or dehumidified area and work as new.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

I picked some up at the local ACE Hardware awhile ago.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    They are fairly common but not well distributed; meaning readily available but at a limited number of retailers.
    I can always find them in specific hardware/country stores.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't believe I just spent what I did on matches. They are unobtanium around here. Bought some of the storm proof matches since they get good reviews. Now it's just a waiting game. Wonder if I can light them w/ my fingernail like the old ones

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    ...... Wonder if I can light them w/ my fingernail like the old ones
    Or make clothes pin flame throwers!

For those not in the know you can modify a clothes pin so that the spring snaps down and strikes the head of the match both lighting it and sending it shooting forward. Amazing we survived childhood, didn't even have bike helmets.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

They have actually been outlawed in places like NJ, NY, ME and CA.

In rural, areas of states that have hunting camping outdoors activities you can generally find them in hardware stores

the part that Meth makers want is the red phosphorous which is found in the striking surface on books of paper matches

BTW if you suspect a place has been used as a meth Kitchen, buy yourself a can of aerosol Spray Starch.
    Meth cookers leave traces of elemental Iodine around and starch reacts with this by turning Blue/purple/brown

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Also if someone sells you such a place without disclosing that use, that's a serious health problem and illegal as heck. Iodine can also end up if an amateur chemist / scientist lived there tho (Nitrogen Tri-Iodide is "Fun" if loud, for example. And lots of people use Iodine for disinfectant etc. - Betadine, Gimp, etc.)

Boolit Mold
    When I was a kid in Jr. High school the Science teacher had all the kids come up with their own "Experiments" ideas, build it and explain it and demonstrate. so I cut the heads off about 50 strike anywhere matches. put them all in a large test tube and sealed with a cork. Went to the front of the class and explaind Energy expanding gasses. Had a large plastic shield to protect the class. and I put the test tube over the bunson burner and walked away. only took a few seconds and the entire area exploded with a big blast. I was not allowed to play the science games after that, but I did get a good grade. You can get the strike anywhere matchhes in most Market Basket stores. I always have them in the hunting, camping packs and for lighting the wood stove.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoat View Post
    When I was a kid in Jr. High school the Science teacher had all the kids come up with their own "Experiments" ideas, build it and explain it and demonstrate. so I cut the heads off about 50 strike anywhere matches. put them all in a large test tube and sealed with a cork. Went to the front of the class and explaind Energy expanding gasses. Had a large plastic shield to protect the class. and I put the test tube over the bunson burner and walked away. only took a few seconds and the entire area exploded with a big blast. I was not allowed to play the science games after that, but I did get a good grade. You can get the strike anywhere matchhes in most Market Basket stores. I always have them in the hunting, camping packs and for lighting the wood stove.
    My high school science/chemistry teacher owned an apple orchard. Sophomore chemistry class one day mid fall he comes into class with a bushel of apples, a 10# bag of sugar, and a couple packets of Red Star yeast. Said "Y'all gonna get an education on fermentation and distillation now."

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, I quit with matches years ago. A cheap disposable butane lighter has a MUCH better shelf life than the new strike anywhere matches. You can get them wet, and they’ll still light.

[QUOTE. Wonder if I can light them w/ my fingernail like the old ones [/QUOTE]

Probably, but I quit doing it myself when most of the head broke off of one,
    and got stuck under my fingernail---- as it lit.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

In Remembrance

As a young boy growing up on a farm I recall the cast iron match box holder hanging on the wall near the propane gas stove. Dad would get a few of the white headed matches and put them in a pants pocket to light his pipe with or for any other need, never had a fire in the pocket from them rubbing together. Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast