RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strike Anywhere Matches

Banned

I can still get Ohio Blue tip matches in south Texas!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eck0313 View Post
    FWIW, I quit with matches years ago. A cheap disposable butane lighter has a MUCH better shelf life than the new strike anywhere matches. You can get them wet, and they’ll still light.
    /\ Yep, it really bugs some people but the cheapest and most reliable fire starter is a Bic lighter!
    A Bic lighter with a piece of rubber inner tube slipped over it gives you a very reliable fire starter and some tinder even in wet conditions.

I have a couple of match safes and they are "old school" and top notch but if the chips were down I think I would rather have a Bic lighter.

Boolit Master
    No problem finding "strike anywhere" matches around here, but they are not the same as they were a few years ago. They will not strike on a zipper like I used to do, and they will not strike on the side of a steel trash barrel. They seem to strike only on the box, maybe.

I am looking too.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

My preference is for wind proof matches. They have a match head about an inch long.

Boolit Mold
    Tatume, try a tobacconist shop. They might have them. Or Cabellas, is where I found a package. Came in a little pill bottle sized container with sandpaper on either end.

A neat little magic trick.
    Take a silver quarter, has to real silver, no not the counterfeit ones they make nowadays.
    Rip off a piece of the striker strip for a box of matches.
    Burn the striker material stuff on top of the quarter.
    You should have a greasy smudge on the quarter now.
    If you rub the smudge with your finger the quarter will start to smoke.

Haven't done this since I was a kid, so if the formula for the strike surface has changed it may not work.

[QUOTE=. They seem to strike only on the box, maybe.[/QUOTE]

Ya have to read the box--- they look the same, but one will say 'strike anywhere' the other says 'strike on box'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Attachment 115935
    Some months ago, well it could have been a year or more ago, there was a thread on strike anywhere matches and how they were all but impossible to find. Well, I found a source for them.
    I was in Amish country in Indiana camping this past week end and at a popular Amish grocery store in Shipshewana I found a very good supply of them and bought a few boxes.

Attachment 115936

There is a email address on the box and if you can't make it out it's custserv@penleycorp.net
    Snail mail address is;

Penley
    P.O. Box 277
    West Paris, Maine 04289
    I have no trouble finding them here. Most hardware stores and even some grocery stores carry them....but then again...I only live an hour away from West Paris, Maine. Many people use them "uptacamp" and there are a lot of camps up here!

Boolit Buddy
    mil surplus stores have the windproof and strike anywhere. at least in my area they do.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    They have actually been outlawed in places like NJ, NY, ME and CA.

In rural, areas of states that have hunting camping outdoors activities you can generally find them in hardware stores

the part that Meth makers want is the red phosphorous which is found in the striking surface on books of paper matches

BTW if you suspect a place has been used as a meth Kitchen, buy yourself a can of aerosol Spray Starch.
    Meth cookers leave traces of elemental Iodine around and starch reacts with this by turning Blue/purple/brown
    I have no trouble finding them here in Maine. Bought some for camp just the other day.

Banned

I still have a few big boxes of Ohio Blue Tips!

Grab them while you can, if you see them. Penley appears to be out of business. They closed the mill that made cloths pins with stainless steel springs.

When I worked in retail years ago I remember the store filling with smoke and being evacuated to the parking lot. Seems that one of the stockboys placed a case of strike anywhere matches on top of a high stack of boxes; someone bumped into the boxes, the case of matches fell to the floor and ignited on impact.

Boolit Master
    We can buy "strike anywhere" matches locally. "Strike anywhere" printed right on the box. The matches even have the white tip. But they WON'T strike anywhere. They will strike ONLY on the box, and then you have to be careful or the matchstick will just break.

Boolit Buddy
    Farm and Home in Alton, IL sells them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eck0313 View Post
    FWIW, I quit with matches years ago. A cheap disposable butane lighter has a MUCH better shelf life than the new strike anywhere matches. You can get them wet, and they’ll still light.
    A butane lighter is what I use. I have several boxes of the strike anywhere matches, and even a few boxes of strike on box only. NONE of them are reliable. They either won't strike, or will strike but then immediately go out, or the stick breaks. ALL of those matches have always been stored where it is dry. NONE have ever been wet.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I used to buy Hurricane matches at an outdoor store. They weren’t cheap, but half the match was covered with the flammable substance. They would strike anywhere and not go out for a long time. They were great when conditions were marginal to start a campfire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12