Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality problems with 22 cal Rimfire

Boolit Bub

Quality problems with 22 cal Rimfire

I was wondering if anybody was having this problem or if it’s my equipment.

I have a Ruger 10/22 which I use to pick off an occasional squirrel .
    I was using CCI LR and was getting a lot of misfires so I bought a brand new box of Remmington LRHP. I am still getting about 20% misfires with my Ruger.

I purchased a new magazine thinking mine were tired after 20 years, cleaned and oiled my rifle and have the same result. I took the misfires and tried it in my lever action Marlin and they would not fire in that either You can see that the rims are well struck and are actually deformed.

Has anyone had similar problems with 22 ammunition?
    Am I just unlucky enough to get bad batches of ammunition from two different manufacturers? The Ruger is feeding fine until it gets to the dead round so it does not appear to be a feed problem or other malfunction.

Boolit Man
    do the 22 rounds fire if struck a second time by the firing pin?
    does the ammo have the same problem in another weapon?
    it sound to me like a weak firing pin spring or
    a battered firing pin.
    Start with replacing the spring IMHO

Banned

if you have that many problems with 22lr ammo it's the gun for sure.

I'd look at anoother firing pin spring and firing pin.

Boolit Man
    the only 22 ammo i have had misfires with is federal,afew 12 guage also

Boolit Bub
    As stated I tried it in another rifle and they will not fire. You can see the rim is well struck.

Not Lately But...........

Years ago Remington green box standard 22's cost me a match. I had an indoor match to shoot at 50ft and was out of match ammo, so I stopped at the store and the only standard velocity ammo they had was Remington. I bought the box and went to the match. I checked zero with 3 shots, all good. During the match I had a shot go low and sounded weak. After a second low (out of scoring)shot, the rest of the match I was waiting for "the other shoe to fall". I shot the rest up that day outside and out of the box of 50 ,8 missfired. They sounded like no powder.

Yes you can get bad ammo 22 rimfire and center fire (Winchester White Box Varmint OVER LOADS !!!). If the box of ammo in question has some left call CCi and Rem and have the boxes with you when you do. They will need the code on the box and can tell you if they have any other reports of that batch being bad.

Good Shooting,

TwoTrees

I've shot 10's of thousands of rounds and don't remember a single misfire. Most of those were in a match grade rifle or pistol. They have tighter chambers. Try your ammo in more guns maybe you have some loose chambered guns. The rim should not be deformed, but should have a sharp strike mark from the firing pin. If the forward side of the rim is deformed then you are not getting a good crush on the priming compound in the rim.

Boolit Master
    I've had lots of misfires in the last few years from both Remington and Federal bulk packs of .22

BD

Banned

I get all kinds of stuff from misfires to bloopers, some crack, some pop. The factories are making the things so fast they gave up on quality. The machine that spins the priming compound into the rim might be warn out or run too fast. The powder dump is so fast some shells might not get enough and it goes on the floor.
    I have had problems with CCI Blue tag ammo in my Mark II once in a while too. It used to be the best.
    The Ruger 10-22 is reliable until it gets real dirty but I have shells that don't eject because they are so weak.
    The bulk ammo is bad stuff but I don't think it is any different then what they stuff in the little boxes anymore.
    By the way the WW bulk stuff sucks big time. Long gone is the time they were the most accurate.
    .22 ammo is secondary at the factories, just a money maker made for plinkers.
    I would not blame the gun

Boolit Grand Master
    I would latch onto some CCI Mini-Mags before taking tools to the rifles, CT. It costs, but the stuff is pretty decent quality and its use resuscitated a couple of my 22's that I thought were hors de combat. I'm thinking you have an ammo problem--my 10-22s (past and present) have been the most reliable and least ammo-sensitive of my self-loading 22 LR platforms, in a dead heat with the 22/45 Ruger pistol. The Marlin 39A has a healthy hammer strike, too. If I had happen what you are describing with my rifles--I'd bet the rent on sorry-assed ammunition. It wouldn't hurt to clean the 10-22's firing pin channel/gallery--if you haven't already--but Mini Mags are less effort and more likely to Do The Right Thing.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I had some Remington bulk pack that, in my autos, sometimes required two strikes last year, my Single Six would fire it everytime.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Boolit Buddy
    I've had problems with Winchester standard velocity in a Browning .22 auto—I thought it was because it was old ammo.
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Boolit Master
    I've had some similar problems with mini mags in a marlin model 60. Some would just go pop others would go bang. Difference in the sound was quite apparent. Stingers would go bang every time. This was with a rifle that had the innards cleaned every time it was fired, so carbon/gunk build up on the bolt face and breech was minimal. Frank

Boolit Man
    spray lubes and oil can kill rimfires too

Moderator Emeritus

I have had plenty of misfires in a bulk pac of Remingtons. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I havent shot a 22 in a while but I was having misfires with Remington and Federal a few years ago. I switched to Winchester and quit having them. I had a rat problem in my barn back in TX and bought some CCI Ratshot, they'd fire but I had to point the barrel at the ground to get the shot to roll out of it.

The last Remington 22 LR's' I bought, most would fire but you could tell from the sound of the report that they weren't all loaded the same. I have just about quit shooting 22 rimfire on account of the ammo.

Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a lot of problems over the years shooting all different kinds of 22 ammo. It seemed that I got the most problems from the cheaper "bulk" brands of ammunition from pretty much all of the major manufacturers. When I went to their regular standard boxed ammo, I had less problems. But I still had some problems with all different brands of handguns, until I went to Ruger Single Six handguns. It seems their springs are so robust, the ammo has to be completely defective for them not to set a round off. Rifles, I haven't had a problem with really.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    I've had lots of misfires in the last few years from both Remington and Federal bulk packs of .22

BD
    I'll second that. I only buy CCI 100 round packs anymore, usually .22 Short HP for squirrel hunting. Plinking misfires don't bother me much because I shoot single shot falling block or a single-shot bolt, but I won't stand for them hunting.
    Selmerfan

Boolit Master
    First, go cheap and simple. Clean your rifle well being sure the receiver, chamber, bolt face, bolt body, and extractor grooves are all free of excess crud in the crevices. Lubricate properly.

As stated, check the firing pin and spring. Use a consistent ammo to check function, (CCI mini mag comes to mind) and that should solve your problems.

If not, your friendly neighborhood gunsmith should be able to help. What you do there is enter the shop in the correct frame of mind, genuflect deeply at the counter, extending said rifle in one hand and a large amount of money in the other.
    Gets results every time!

if any of you frequent the .22 forum at rimfire central you will see that Rem, Federal and Winchester, all have problem with some of the bulk and low cost ammo they produce. Its funny I never had a misfire with some of the Russian steel case olive drab .22's I've used but the stuff sure is dirty. Someone must have had a deal on this stuff cause at the range the other day there must have been a foot high pile of empties at the shooting line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast