Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: New to me Remington RB1 sporter rolling block 45-70

New to me Remington RB1 sporter rolling block 45-70

I bought this gun off of gunbroker (item 436782251)and Numrich was the seller. It has half octagon half round barrel with tang sight and spirit lever front. It appears Numrich bought some parts from Remington and assembled this gun. They stated it was test fired. Anyway, I have lyman's 457124 that drops close to 400 grains unsized with water hardended wheel weights and is deadly accurate in my repro officers model trapdoor with 14.6 grains of Unique (1250 FPS), so that is where I am going to start for my 200 yard plinker. May add a leather lace recoil pad but it has a shotgun butt so it may not be too bad. Anyone here with one of these and what load is working well? thanks

Boolit Mold
    so you're the reason the bid went higher than I could afford.lol.nice snag

Yea, I always wanted one, but didn't want to pay what Remington thought they were worth. $1000 was my max. bid. It is scheduled to arrive today. Numrich sold one early for $700 but it didn't have the sights. Again I am speculating that maybe numrich put these together as they are selling parts for these.

Boolit Master
    Pictures man. Would like to see your new treasure
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Mold
    good you got one.i wound up buying a pedersoli rolling block the next day.my first one as well

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Pedersoli RB creedmoor in 40-65. Very good gun.
    The sights for these can get verrrrry expensive. I bought a pedersoli mid range sight for the rear and it is much better than the original tang sight.

The shotgun butt is pretty comfortable on my gun. I shoot a 400 grain boolit at about 1,400 fps and it does not hurt.

Just picked up the gun today. The ammo that was fired in my repro officers model trapdoor fits without being resized. I will dedicate 45-70 ammo for each. I have yet to fire it. No owners manual, so I may call Remington to see if they will ship me one. I am trying to figure out how the screw stop should be placed on the veneer sight, because when try to lower the sight, the screw backs out upward and the sight does not move down. Over all happy with it right now for the price. The wood fit on the forearm is a little sloppy but its minor. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0481[1].jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	116139

Howdy Smkummer
    You have to loosen the eye piece to adjust the elevation.
    The windage is adjusted by turning the knob clockwise to go right and counter clockwise to go left ,each full number is
    is 1 MOA a full turn is 2 1/2 MOA .
    Take Care And Shoot Straight
    Dusty Ed

I would advise the addition of an adjustable aperture. I had to run a Hadley on my Pedersoli tang sight, but my Marble tangs sport Merit discs.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0487[1].jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	117147Well the rifle is fun. The front sight was both loose in the base and the aperture so the first day I was unable to sight in at 100 yards on a 12" plate. Peening the dovetail on the barrel now allows the front sight to be firm and allowed me to hit this 10" plate at 200 yards. I broke the chain after about the 3rd hit so it was easy to hit the other 16" plate that I first sighted it in. Again this gun was auctioned off by Numrich and maybe it was not a completed gun or had issues. I still have a front insert that is loose and only held by the U shaped spirit level. I have to research that more to see how to make it firm. I was delighted to find it has a set trigger that you push forward to make it set.
    Last edited by smkummer; 09-24-2014 at 09:01 AM.

very cool. looks like a ton o fun.

For what it is worth to shooters that may not know this fact, heavy kicking guns such as what a 45-70 can be, a shotgun type butt plate which is on this rifle makes the felt recoil less compare to a tradition style carbine or old style curved butt plate. My plan was to put on a lace-on leather recoil pad such as what I have on my H&R officers model trapdoor but it is not needed on this rolling block. Of course this Rolling Block is heavier with the longer and fatter barrel and that helps also. I am currently shooting trapdoor level loads.

that is a very nice looking roller. thanks for sharing it with us.