Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to try to get my Texas concealed carry

Getting ready to try to get my Texas concealed carry

Alright guys. If money allows, I am gonna try to take my concealed carry class beginning of October and have a few questions

Can I take hand loads? I think I have to take 100 rounds. Can I just cast up some 230gn bullets and load them for the class? Or should I just go buy a couple boxes of ball ammo? I'll be shooting a 1911 .45acp

What all required. I get different answers online. From what I gather, I have to pay for the class, and also get a background check and finger printed. What do I actually need, and about how much should it all cost?

Am I gonna have to conceal the gun in the class? Like demonstrate how I'm gonna carry?

Anything else I am not thinking of? I know I had other questions but can't remember them now that I am actually writing out this post.

Thanks guys.

Boolit Man

negative on the reloads...1 bx/50 rounds store bought ammo. yes show up with gun in whatever rig you intend to carry in. as for fees other then dps fee, all other fees are regional, all different. some classes are two days others are 6hr and range time... good luck. all i can tell you about the actual range test, shoot as good as you can on the first distances, if you score your quota i think a 300 then the instructor has the option of letting you skip the last/farthest distance...again good luck...tx.

I hate buying factory ammo. Can I reload ammo that looks factory, like with ball bullets and then tumble it to get rid of the sizer die marks?

Love Life
    Just buy the factory stuff.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/

Boolit Master
    The rules state no reloads. The rest is up to you.

Doc

Boolit Man

i suppose you could but if found out at the range the instructor will ask you to go get factory...luck with that...tx

Banned
    State dropped the minimum class time to 6 hours as of September 1. Factory ammo only, and no need to show how you will carry. As for the shooting requirements, you will be shooting 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 5 yards, and 10 rounds at 7 yards. If you can't keep at least in the nine ring at those distances, you are doing something wrong. Time requirements are very generous, as well. Don't sweat it.

Opps, wrong distances. 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yard, and 10 rounds at 15 yards. Still no problem, time limits are never less than 2 second per shot. As far as 70 yards, you better have a really, really good reason for a SD shooting at that distance. Also better have a really, really good attorney.
    Last edited by Charley; 09-05-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, factory ammo. State rule so might as well not try to skirt it, most instructors won't go for it anyway. Instructors around here want you to keep your unloaded pistol in a case in your vehicle until qualification and the course of fire does not include drawing from a holster. Don't show up with your gun concealed in a holster, no sense in violating the law while trying to get a CHL. Don't worry about the qualification course, I can do it blindfolded. The important stuff is the paperwork and the classroom instruction.
    Lots of good info in this course, if well taught. New, "improved" shorter format loses a bit of that so read your course material and pay attention.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Well...at 25 bucks a box, that just upped the price by 50 bucks. Do I at least get to keep my brass?

Love Life
    What gun will you be using?

ETA: I reread the OP and I asked a stupid question. I am ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Charley View Post
    State dropped the minimum class time to 6 hours as of September 1. Factory ammo only, and no need to show how you will carry. As for the shooting requirements, you will be shooting 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 5 yards, and 10 rounds at 7 yards. If you can't keep at least in the nine ring at those distances, you are doing something wrong. Time requirements are very generous, as well. Don't sweat it.
    7 yards, or 70 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    What gun will you be using?

ETA: I reread the OP and I asked a stupid question. I am ashamed.
    Springfield milspec 1911

In Remembrance

Reloads in a factory box will not get inspected.imho

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Reloads in a factory box will not get inspected.imho
    I don't have any factory boxes though lol. Most of my ammo is kept in random ammo cans, zip locks, solo cups, empty bullet boxes, plastic coffee cans, Amanda's Tupperware (I didn't say that) and other things that are handy when I need them.

Boolit Master

Stage 3:
    Ten shots (10) fired from 15 yards fired in two 5-shot strings.

A. Five (5) shots fired in two stages:
    1. Two (2) shots fired in 6 seconds.
    2. Three (3) shots fired in 9 seconds.
    B. Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds
    So it looks like for this stage (the longest distance), you will need to hit a man-sized target 45 feet away, 7 times out of ten, with plenty of time for aiming. Sounds like some pretty serious marksmanship there!

20 rounds at 3 yds, 20 at 7 yds, and 10 at 15 yds, with a minimum score of 70% to pass. Since shots not taken are scored as a miss, it sounds like you really should need no more than 35 rounds of factory ammo, not 100.
    Last edited by fatelk; 09-05-2014 at 12:06 AM.

The instructors I have talked to require 100 rounds. Really, I wish there was a way to skip the class, just do the shooting and be done with it.

Love Life
    You have to get your check in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    You have to get your check in the box.
    ?????

Love Life
    It means you just need to get the class done and be on with your business.

Oh. I know. It just sucks. I'm gonna have to ask for time off work.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast