WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Corbin CSP-2 vs Walnut Hill Features and benifits

Boolit Mold

Corbin CSP-2 vs Walnut Hill Features and benifits

My first post ! I would like to reload 416 Barret , form bullets in 223 30 cal 40,416, 45,458 draw jackets from 223 to 416.
    I have been looking at the Corbin and Walnut Hill press. Never have owned a swaging press I am sure that I am missing a lot between the two in understanding all of the nuances.
    Can someone provide a clear comparison between the two presses?

Thank you

Boolit Master

Corbin's CSP-2 is a smaller press, will not use as much room on the bench. If you are ham fisted the walnut hill might be easier to feed.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Before looking at either press make sure you can get the dies...you might find yourself waiting years for them

Boolit Mold

Corbin Swaging presses

I own both the Corbin CSP-1 and the CSP-2. This is a case where you get what you pay for. RCE is great for components such as jackets but for the presses, its Corbin all the way. My CSP-1 does all my .357 work and the CSP-2 is used for 45-70 and the 452 sizes for the 45 colt. I take cast bullets and
    reform them in point forming dies into perfect projectiles. I also have several Corbin core molds for .452, .458 and .357. The swaging lube becomes the bullet lube for shooting. The down side of this is cost. The up side is I swage all my bullets. Reforming cast bullets is a lot of fun. I like to experiment.
    I have been casting since 1960, reloading since 1958 swaging via CH since 1962 and Quickload since 2010.

I think I've seen it all.

To many people would think nothing of going spending 30K on a new car but go nuts at the thought of spending 2K on a great hobby.

Boolit Buddy
    I am just getting started in swaging myself. I looked at all the available options, and purchased the RCE Walnut Hill press. It is half the price and is much more robust. It uses 7/8" threaded dies as opposed to 5/8" dies from Dave Corbin. With the Walnut Hill being larger, you can get converter bushings and use either Dave Corbin or Richard Corbin dies (allowing you to pickup good deals on used dies for either press if you run across them.) Richard Corbin will not make the conversion kit anymore, because his press is so strong it can easily crack the smaller Dave Corbin dies. You can get a machinist to make the conversion kit though. The Walnut Hill being 7/8 x 14, you can also use any of the dies made for standard reloading presses, plus us the Walnut Hill press as a reloading press to handle tough full length resizing jobs and the like.

Richard Corbin is a one man shop, so you could wait a while for custom orders from him. If you need dies fast, you can just use Dave Corbin dies in the Walnut Hill and be careful not to overpower them with the press. If you need stronger dies, you always have the option to step up in strength with the Walnut Hill that you don't have with smaller presses. Again, others have more experience, but this is just my thinking on the issue. Stronger and more versatile at half the price, I choose RCE all the way. I do not believe you will find better design, better craftsmanship, or better materials in any press, anywhere, at any price, than you get with the RCE Walnut Hill Press.

Roll Tide
    Last edited by rolltide; 09-10-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Boolit Master

rolltide - I just ordered dies and jackets from Richard a few minutes ago and asked him about the kits for "S" dies. I have one kit but could use more. You are right about used dies. It's sometimes the only way to get dies in a reasonable length of time. I should have read your post first. All I really need from Richard are the 7/8-14 to 5/8-24 bushings. I can make the adapters for the internal punches but I havn't done threading yet on my Logan. I'm going to get a second Walnut Hill but it will be next month. I got 308, 284, 264, 452, 458, & 500 dies already this month because they were available. They don't come up for sale very often so I have to find the cash and jump in when they do. I do prefer Walnut Hill dies but "S" and "H" dies are acceptable if I need the caliber or point form.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the input and opinions, I think for now I am going to order a Walnut Hill press. Then hopefully find a set of 458 dies to start off with for my 458 Socom. Once I get familiar with all the ins and out of bullet swaging start with other projects. This press will also get things rolling in reloading the 416 Barret with solid lehigh bullets.

Boolit Master

If you load the 416 Barrett with the Walnut Hill you will need to get a 50 BMG screw in shellholder. The Barrett case is a shortened (3.26in) necked down 50 BMG case and has the same base dimensions. Richard's 50 BMG option can be purchased along with the press.

Bob

You won't regret it. One thing I did was take a plate of 1018, 3/4" thick ('cuz that's what I had on hand... overkill) about 6" wide and 8" long. I made a mount plate for the Walnut Hill to effectively increase its footprint on the workbench. The bench I made from two parallel lengths of 2x12's, with 4x4's as legs. I had been using lag bolts to hold it down to the bench. Could tell that some of the lead core swaging was stressing out the smaller footprint. I'll try to put up a picture of what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyarms View Post
    Thanks for all the input and opinions, I think for now I am going to order a Walnut Hill press.

Another vote for the Walnut Hill press. You will not regret the purchase. Dave Corbin's presses are okay, but they are not as good as brother Richard's. I own a Series II press - forerunner to the CSP-1. I also own two WH presses. In my opinion, the WH is a superior value. It's better built, cheaper and stronger than the CSP-1. Either press will work for most bullets, but this is a case where you do not have to buy the most expensive press to get a better product.

I should also say that either of the Corbin presses is head and shoulders better than a Rockchucker or similar press. Good choice!!
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

Here's a picture of the steel plate I cut/drilled/tapped for my Walnut Hill:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1301.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	118475

The three smaller grade-8 bolts pass through the WH bottom plate and thread into the plate I made. Then, the two larger grade-8 bolts pass through my plate and through the 2x12 of the bench, with washers/nuts secured from underneath.

This is mega-stout

Boolit Master

This is crazy. How many times do guys ask if the swage 50 cal bullets on their RCBS junior?? FINALLY some one has the good sense to ask about SWAGING presses for swaging!! That's great.

I went with the Walnut Hill. A great press, and built very well. I've had mine for a few years and I am very happy. You have made a good choice.

Glad to see someone using their nogen. Good start.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I'll second lizard on the Walnut Hill. Walnut Hill dies are much easier to use than "S" dies. The ejection punch design is much better. I do wish Richard would make a larger manual press for "H" dies though. Last time I talked to Richard he said he was not going to offer the "What Cheer" press. Dave Corbin's large Mega-Mite (CHP-1) is up to $1300 and UP North is having his problems right now. I have "H" dies for .500, .458, .452, .446 PP, and .308 and have to use the hydraulic press with them. A large manual press would work nicely with them. Then I would only have to use hydraulics for the BMG and lead wire extrusion. I may have to go back to Aneat's thread and build my own press. Aneat's design apears to be an enlarged Walnut Hill. I just need a ram threaded for 1-12 dies.

Bob
    Last edited by midnight; 10-09-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Mold
    If I may,

Aneat's press is nothing short of wonderful!!! I used scrap hot roll and plate except for the ram and the two guides. Mine isn't pretty but it works like a charm. In my opinion, the drilling of the alignment holes for the 2, 1 inch diameter alignment rods and the 1 1/2 inch ram is the only real critical issues. I have a 1 1/2 half 12 tpi tap but it takes a lot of cheater bar to make it work properly. If you make the press you might consider getting a machinest to thread the top plate for you. It took me a few months to finish but I am totally thrilled with it. Aneat is one he-- of a great designer and an even greater man.

Good luck, LP

Boolit Master

I just priced out the steel necessary to make two presses. It came to about $325 from Speedy Metals with another $20 from McMaster-Carr for the bronze bushings. That only comes to around $175 each. I'm lucky, Speedy Metals is about 20 miles from my house so shipping will be close to zero. Do you realize that the steel alone weighs 125 pounds. I already have O-1 & W-1 drill rod for the pins. I can case harden them too. I'll have to hire out the welding and will be checking that out Monday or maybe Tuesday ( darn holidays). Can't wait to get started.

Bob

Yeah I thought about the Aneat press project, but I think I will purchase the Walnut Hill and make my own dies now! Got enough in the toy account to by the press! Yay!!
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!