Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: So I ran out of GI Ammo can's yesterday

So I ran out of GI Ammo can's yesterday

I was going to get some 7.62x25 and my bag was empty so had to bust open one of the nasty can's of ammo from overseas surplus guys - the kind that look like they should be easy to open but buy the time you get done you've got a container that's designed to maim and slice just about anyone not paying attention.

So I was going to dump the contents out into a 30 or 50 cal ammo can but all my can's are full
    I checked on like and the price of ammo can's has gone nutz

So at the goodwill I found a Dewalt case for a drill or some such - good heavy duty plastic and latch
    $2 so not bad size for 7.62x25 may even work with 7.62x39 or 223 depending upon the tool the box originally held.

Got it and loaded it up and like it even more than GI can for actually carrying around, as it's slimmer.

Slapped some masking tape on it and wrote what's inside. Done Deal - just thought some of you might like it instead of paying thru the nose for GI Ammo Can oh and this looks sturdier than the "plastic" ammo cans at Bass Pro
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Actually, I am seeing more cans listed in places like Midsouth and Midway. Someone said here that cans are easier to come by because the wars are winding down.

Boolit Master

Recently Harbor a Freight had plastic .30 size ammo cans on sale for $4.99 so I bought 6 of them, regular price was $6.99
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by dg31872 View Post
    Actually, I am seeing more cans listed in places like Midsouth and Midway. Someone said here that cans are easier to come by because the wars are winding down.
    seeing more for sale but at like $10-$15 each - I used to get 4 30 caliber cans with carrier from Dillon for $20 +tax aka $5 each for the metal ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Recently Harbor a Freight had plastic .30 size ammo cans on sale for $4.99 so I bought 6 of them, regular price was $6.99
    Have you loaded 'em full with lead and tested them for breakage? - at least the price is reasonable at 4.99

is this the one?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ex/?q=ammo+box

Item #61451
    Only: $9.99
    Sale: $6.99
    Last edited by Artful; 09-07-2014 at 04:48 PM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

I bought new cans from Wideners. Same price for new ones as they want for used beat up ones locally. They stopped being cheap around here well over a decade ago.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    seeing more for sale but at like $10-$15 each - I used to get 4 30 caliber cans with carrier from Dillon for $20 +tax aka $5 each for the metal ones.

Have you loaded 'em full with lead and tested them for breakage? - at least the price is reasonable at 4.99

is this the one?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ex/?q=ammo+box

Item #61451
    Only: $9.99
    Sale: $6.99
    What I've used them for is filling with bulk reloads in 38 and 9mm, I squeezed 1600 22 rf in one, some 30-30 and 357mag in others. The two used for bulk reloads have 800-1000 and so far have held up well but it has only been a couple of months. Yes, that is the one.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

The problem I've had w/ the plastic cans is seal breakage. Not in seal failure. As in you load the can up and pick it up. The tops flex which breaks the seal temporarily. If they sit in a shelf and aren't moved they work okay.

I look at yard sales. I am going to start making some wood crates. Oh and 5 gal plastic buckets work pretty well but are real heavy.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought fifty cans for $1.50 each about nine years ago, wish I bought another hundred. A new can for 19.95 is insane, keep them. I store my ingots in them, have moved twice with them and the cans make it work well.

Boolit Grand Master

The 1 gal mayonnaise jars from restaurants, store brass in manageable weights. loaded ammo gets the ammo cans, and boolits save in coffee cans. That lets the ammo cans go further. I place a couple vapor barrier chips (Midway) in each container.
    I once bought a pallet of 30 cal cans and made good money selling them at $3. ea. I wish I could buy them back.

Mold Maker - you still have a chance....
    http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...ds=Ammo%20Cans
    je suis charlie

Interesting web site. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Last gun show regular 50 cal cans were low of $10 to high of $20 ea. I guess the thinking on prices is war time they end up over seas, peace time plenty left over from training to be sold.

The plastic ones sell for $7 at wal mart, you do need to watch the weight. A bunch of 223 not to bad, full of 45 and I worry about the handle coming off.

Boolit Master

i'll stick with steel. i get a little over 1500rnds of 223 in a 50 cal can, and i just dont think you could pick up a plastic can with that much weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Last gun show regular 50 cal cans were low of $10 to high of $20 ea. I guess the thinking on prices is war time they end up over seas, peace time plenty left over from training to be sold.
    check this out...
    http://oldgrouchsurplus.wordpress.co...arder-to-find/
    Everyone has noticed that ammo cans have been harder to find and that when you do find them they cost more. Lots of folks are asking why, and lots of rumors are flying.

First, to dispel the biggest rumor, there has been no executive order or directive that all ammo cans be crushed. Now some are being destroyed, but it is do the incompetence of government workers, no an executive order. But more on that later.

The first thing causing prices to rise is that the Army changed how they issue 5.56 ammo stateside. It used to be that when a unit went to the range they drew ammo that was packed just like “go to war” ammo- it was in stripper clips, bandoleers and and .50 cal ammo cans. That meant that every day lots of cans were opened, the ammo used, and the cans went to be sold. Someone saw that this was wasting money, and they changed so that 5.56 training ammo is now issued in cardboard boxes. The result is that the taxpayers are saving a lot of money, but there are a lot fewer surplus cans sold.

The second thing is that more and more national retailers are starting to bid on the cans, and that drives prices up. Chains like Northern Tool have found that they can get $15 or more for a 50 cal ammo can. This drives prices up further.

Lastly, you have typical government bureaucrat idiocy. First, somewhere somebody decreed that all ammo cans sold must have the lids removed. Why? Who knows. I guess they are scared to death that some of that evil ammo might be in it. Of course, that same ammo is available to anyone outside the military, but logic does not matter here. So they pay a government employee to sit there and take all the lids off so nobody finds a .223 blank out there.

What happens then? They put them all on a pallet. And they sit exposed to the elements for months before they get sold, letting water pool up in them, causing the insides to rust.

And then those typical government employees strap them down to the pallet. But what happens when you take the lid off an ammo can? It loses it structural integrity. So what do you do when you are a government employee who doesn’t care if he damages government property? You take the ammo cans that are easily bent and strap them down to the pallet so hard you bend them.

And the top ones are badly bent, as you see. But the bottom layers will be bent as well, and it only takes a slight bend before the can won’t shut or seal properly. You can figure at least 20% of the cans on the pallets are now good for little more than scrap. And for no other reason than the folks at the ASP and DRMO are lazy and don’t care.

So, add all these together, and the end result is that fewer cans are sold, many of the cans that do get sold are junk, and there are more people bidding for that. That all comes together to drive ammo cans prices higher.

All of us in the military surplus business are used to seeing the stupidity that comes with the way the government manages it, but I figured folks out there might like a glimpse into the factors that affect price and supply.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Buddy
    My local Rural King store had new 50 cal. size cans for around $12. They are metal with the rubber seal no markings painted on I kinda think they are repros but can't say for sure. Looked it over pretty good and didn't see any manufacturing data, sure didn't say "made in china". They had a pallet full.

Boolit Grand Master

I know for a fact that ones that have "Blackhawk" stickers on them are made in the US. Well the sticker says so anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Hickory gun show this weekend didn't have a single ammo can for sale, at any price. Only full cans of ammo.