RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-9 or 4-12

3-9 or 4-12

Would you rather have a Leupold xv1 4-12 or a vx2 3-9 both 40mm. They are both $300. Is the 12x magnification still good on the vx1? Is the quality difference big between the 1 and 2?
    Thanks
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    I think if the higher magnification was important I'd go for the 4-12
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

In Remembrance

Where do you expect to be using that scope? I have found a good 3 x 9 to fill the bill for most all situations including a 350 yd. 1 shot drop antelope in Wy.Robert

Boolit Master

Lenses fully multicoated on the vx1?

Boolit Master

Six of one, one half dozen of the other.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

IMO the 3x9. You won't often really need the difference on the high end. But the field of view difference on the low end can often make a big difference. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Lenses fully multicoated on the vx1?
    Yeah fully coated. I cant tell the difference in the quality by the descriptions but I was hoping someone could testify either way as to a difference with the vx1 and 2.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    Yeah fully coated. I cant tell the difference in the quality by the descriptions but I was hoping someone could testify either way as to a difference with the vx1 and 2.
    Then it would come down to intended use.

Boolit Buddy
    Depends on the use but in general I'm a VX-II 3-9 fanboy, I have that particular scope on several rifles and wouldnt mind a few more. Very versatile scope.

I think I am going wiith the vx2. I ve never had any high magnification scopes before and do not really NEED one. So I think the slightly higher quality is by route. Thanks guys!!!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Banned

heres my take on it. the new vx1s are great scopes. there fully multi coated and have the same glass the varix 3 had in it a few years back. that said everywhere I look the 4x12 cost a bit more and in my opinion when you get over 10x in a scope it about needs an adjustable parallax to give a good clear picture out at long range. ill add this. Ive got a couple 4x12 vx2s on a couple long range rilfes. I don't think ive ever shot anything with them at any more then 9x anyway and im talking deer at 5-600 yards. I think where the 4x12s shine is on something like a heavy barreled 243 or 2506 that's going to do double duty as a deer gun and a varmints gun. 12x and even more sometimes is nice when shoot gofers at 400 yards

Boolit Master

Shooting prairie dogs at long range, like 300, 400 and even 500 yards? Takes a good rifle & load plus a good scope. I use Leupold's and have them converted to higher power. I've boosted 20X and 24X scopes to 30X and 32X - mirage can really hamper your shooting once you go past 32X on those "mirage" days. Once past 250 yards, one can use the lower powered scopes as a reason for the miss.

X-hairs need to be thinned as well, otherwise they will cover your target and then some.

As to the OP's question, I think if I was choosing, I'd go for the 4X12 with no difference in price, as the 4X isn't much different than the 3X relative to in close shooting and you have just a tad more power if you feel the need to crank her up a bit.

Boolit Buddy
    Will it be more important to acquire the target quickly or be able to see it out a little farther?

Like others have said I think it boils down to your intended use. Small target at long distances I'd vote for the VX1 but the VX2 is a better scope and should handle 90% of your needs.

The idea is to be able to see farther. But I am wondering if the 9x in better glass is better than the 12x in lesser glass. I ended up getting a VX-R in 3-9. Its fantastic. I havent shot it past 100 yards in daylight yet tho
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    I have (1) 3x9x40mm, 4x12X40mm, (2) 6.5x20x40mm (1) 6.5x20x50mm all Leupold's and a 6.5x20x50mm Zeiss love the side focus.
    I like 12 or more power for seeing the bullet holes at 100yards while sighting in but for deer hunting I usually set the power on 6 or 6.5 depending on the distance.
    I have dropped several deer at 200 to 300 yards using 6 or 6.5 when I turn up the power more I have trouble finding the deer in the scope.
    In the past when p-dog hunting I used a 6X24 Bausch & Lomb scope set on 6 then after found I turned it up to 24X so I could see them better.

Is the coating as good on the low end scopes you will have to check with the manufacture to find out.
    I do not own and VX1 Leupold scopes but they might work as good.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I don't even like 3-9 on a big game rifle....2-7 is plenty for my purposes. I do use a 3-9 on a 6mm dual purpose rife that will double on prairie dogs. I find anything over 9 is about useless under the field conditions that I hunt in. I have shot mule deer at 300 yds. and my scope was a 2-7 set at 5.
    The high power scope is heavier, more complicated, and glass quality is more critical. (read that as more expensive)
    Nope, I am perfectly happy with a 2-7 VX2 Leupold on any big game rifle to be used in the wide open and I actually prefer a 1.5-5 for woods use.
    The only place I use the higher power if shooting targets off a bench. (Yes, I do own a 4-14 on a heavy bbl. Savage, but again I only use that power from the bench)

Banned
    For shorter hunting distances, like those usually involved in the eastern U.S., lower power and larger field of view are useful. I'm solidly with Rick on this one, 2 x 7 is plenty and 1.5 x 5 is better. In fact even 1.25 x 4 is good where shots are never over 150 yards and often much less. The rifle is carried with the scope set on the lowest power. If a long shot is presented there is time to adjust the scope to a higher power.
    Now, once you start talking about long ranges and small targets, the game changes. If most of your shooting is at long ranges, higher power becomes an important factor.
    I would have to advise the OP to consider the intended use and select a scope accordingly. Don't be afraid to select a low power scope if that is what fits your needs. Magnification isn't everything and it comes at the cost of a reduced field of view.
    Bigger isn't always better.

Boolit Buddy
    I am planning on getting a .223 with a 4 X 12 Leupold on it. The reason for the variable is that I like the field of view of my fixed 4 X' s and the fact that the front sight does not appear when looking through the scope as it does in my 2 or 2.75 power. I can't remember its exact magnification. Not a big deal though and as I plan shooting this thing at 200 yd. targets the extra magnification will be helpfull (old eyes).

Word on the street is that Leupold is discontinuing both the VX-1 & 2. Next generation models will be announced at the SHOT show.

If you want a VX-1 3-9x40 check out this deal - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-VX-...MAAOSwQr5ZqFW8
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast