WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: When to use what BP ?

When to use what BP ?

Ok, I normally use FG in my 45-110 compressed loads. Now I'm loading light loads in a 45-70. I used the same powder, but should I change to FFG and why? It has always seemed to me that the bigger cartridge fg and smaller ffg or fffg. Is that about it? Or does the amount of compression dictate the size?

Any advice would be welcome.

Owen

Boolit Grand Master

There a 1, 1.5, 3, 4 granulation with swiss and Old ensford. 1, 2, 3, 4 with goex. In bigger calibers I use 2 f smaller pistol calibers 3 f 4 f is basically priming powder for flint locks. I start with 2 f in most rifle calibers and work from there. My 45-70 does equally well with its respective loads of 2f and 3f. Compression varies from powder types and granulations. Testing and experimenting will show what is working and waht doesnt. Always keep in mind each rifle is a rule unto itself. What on likes another may not.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe that Swiss powder comes in granulations: 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, and NULL B.

Swiss Caviar powder comes in: 1, 1.5, 2, and 3.

Olde Eynsford comes in: 1.5, 2, and 3.

I use Olde Eynsford 2f for my 45-70 and .43 Spanish and OE 3f for .44 Special loads. I have no experience with a 45-110.

Boolit Master
    You really have to try it and see. You'll definitely pick up velocity going from Fg to FFg in a .45-70. My Browning BPCR in .45-70 really likes FFFg Express.

Chris.

To me at least, it seems swiss is finer in granulation than goex across the board. and i have noticed faster velocity in swiss using equal charges. Allows you to tailor to your liking.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    -Thomas Jefferson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    It also makes a diff. on fouling and how you control it, smaller grains like 3f tend to raise vel. but leave a harder, dryer fouling.

Boolit Buddy

Swiss seems to foul less than Goex in my Cadet musket. (FFFg)

Boolit Buddy

When to use what BP ?

My sharps 45-110 likes 100 grains of 1.5 Old E with a P-P .466 diameter creedmoor bullet

Boolit Buddy
    I run 3F Goex in both my .45-70 and .45-90 Shiloh's, push'n a PJ #45001 Creedmoor bullet cast 30:1.
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Boolit Grand Master

I havent given swiss any testing yet But Have tested and used the OLd Ensford with very good results, fouling is lighter and more controlable than Goex. It also seems to be more consistant as to grain size in the diffrent garnulations. Im using 56 grns under a 400 grn 40 cal Old West Nasa bullet in my 40-65 as the load currently with great accuracy and easy to clean fouling. Sunday after firing 12-13 rounds in each stage. A patch wet with windex vinegar , A quick spary and 2-3 strokes with a tight fitting bronze brush and 2 dry patches. 1st of these was a light gray with black streaks last one was just gray streaks. one stage I had sight setting problems ( mis read scale) and fired 20 rds getting on target with same basic results cleaning after the stage. I have some loads to test in my 45-90 with 500 grn paper patched bullets.