RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Best boolit for 30-30 with deer

Boolit Buddy

Best boolit for 30-30 with deer

I am looking to start loading for a 30-30 I recently picked up. I have looked into various bullets but not sure which one to start with. I heard that the 31141 is a good one to get but is hard to find at times. Looking for feedback on a good bullet and than a search for a mold will begin. Hoping to find one that will shoot fairly well in this new gun but put down deer as well.
    Thanks!
    Mike

Boolit Master

What is the rifle?
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Buddy
    Marlin 30as, it has the micro grooves

Boolit Master
    The Lee 160 RF is a decent mold to start with as is the 180 grain model. I have used quite a few molds with my Contender single shot that would not be a good idea in your tube fed gun. The 311041 is a nice one if you get a correct mold. Some are not as accurately cut as others.

Boolit Master

I shoot a Lee 309-170-F in my Marlin. Mold cost around twenty dollars and lots of people have had great success with this mold and the 150 gr version as well. Bullet has a good flat which aids in hunting effectiveness and gives people less heartburn when loaded in a tube. I personally wouldnt hesistate to use a round nose in a tube but to each their own. A great place to start (or end) in my opinion.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

The Lyman 311041 is still in production.

I got the Lee 309-170F for plinking and for general hunting. I haven't worked up a hunting load, yet. It shoots real good with 8.0gr unique for plinkering. 1 1/8", 10 shot groups at 50 yards. That's probably the best that I can hold it using a H&R youth model.

Boolit Buddy
    Its hit and miss on the lyman's casting .311+ last one I got new was about 2 years ago and it cast under .310. (it was a 311041 and they sent me another one that cast under size)I don't know about the lee's. I recently got this one and it cast .311+
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...gh7s75bmlbank1

Bardo

Boolit Buddy
    The SC311 165Gr. RF RG4 cavity GC (RD) from NOE is what I use.

Yup, Noe 311-165RD
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409980355.458517.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	115597

Banned

I agree, Ranch Dog 165, except I have original TL version. One Lee Precision group buy mold and a NOE version.

Boolit Buddy
    Ranch Dog TLC311-165-RF hands down. It was designed for the Marlin Microgroove 30-30. Fills the sloppy throat and performance on game is second to none. There are a few versions out now and they are being cut by NOE so the molds are second to none as well.

Banned

the noe [RD] version is the one I would want in a marlin, the nose sections shape and oal is correct for the rifles ball seat section.
    it's also designed as a hunting boolit.
    barring that the rcbs 30-150 or 30-180 rnfp are very good alternatives as is the flat nosed LEE in airc 170 or 180 grs.
    you'll definately want a boolit of 311 or a slightly larger diameter for the marlin rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Today I'd join the chorus for the RD 311-165 RF. Awesome boolit but the 311-041 may be better, just not in my rifle. I have the original RD 311-165 TL and it has served me well. Some days I'd like a PB plinker version of that boolit but I've got a few other moulds I want to buy first.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.