Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger 327 mag

Boolit Grand Master
    K-frame S&W 4" with adjustable sights, to hold hands with my 16-4 x 6". Short of that, I'll sit the sitch out--I have most of the other 30/32 calibers on hand already, and it will take a SPECIAL, SPECIFIC variant to prompt action on this front.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    K-frame S&W 4" with adjustable sights, to hold hands with my 16-4 x 6". Short of that, I'll sit the sitch out--I have most of the other 30/32 calibers on hand already, and it will take a SPECIAL, SPECIFIC variant to prompt action on this front.
    But have you seen "Project 616," my custom stainless 4" K-frame gun, built on a Model 66 (no dash) using rebored 617 barrel and cylinder? That is a SPECIAL SPECIFIC variant! See build history at;
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ect-616-a.html

Photo courtesy of Dale53

Froggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Charlie's Custom .327--3_1024x683.jpg  
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    You know what always happens to me on these deals. Just like it did with the Black Hawk version.
    I start saving for when one is available. Then before I can get one, I run into a super deal on some thing else.
    Boop there goes my money and they missed out and so did I.

Frustrates me, the para-dime is all screwed up. It should not be me begging to give them money for some thing I want.
    They should be ready to take my money and give me what I want when I have the cash.

I dont know, I suppose they figure if they stock enough volume on small demand guns, they will some how miss out on that sale of another 30-30 marlin. :-/

Some day one of these gun companies will figure out how to cut out these middle men and offer an alacart order system.
    How cool would that be... pop onto Rugers site. Order the gun you want with the extras you want in the caliber you want.
    10 days latter it shows up at your FFL.
    Man I would pee myself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Frog Man, I've seen that thread and admire the gun greatly. I wish I had enough faith in the gun/component industry in general and in gunsmiths in particular to tackle such a project, but their stock with me is flatter than DeLorean's Mastercard presently. My interest in acquisitions is pretty much played out.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post
    You know what always happens to me on these deals. Just like it did with the Black Hawk version.
    I start saving for when one is available. Then before I can get one, I run into a super deal on some thing else.
    Boop there goes my money and they missed out and so did I.

Frustrates me, the para-dime is all screwed up. It should not be me begging to give them money for some thing I want.
    They should be ready to take my money and give me what I want when I have the cash.

I dont know, I suppose they figure if they stock enough volume on small demand guns, they will some how miss out on that sale of another 30-30 marlin. :-/

Some day one of these gun companies will figure out how to cut out these middle men and offer an alacart order system.
    How cool would that be... pop onto Rugers site. Order the gun you want with the extras you want in the caliber you want.
    10 days latter it shows up at your FFL.
    Man I would pee myself.
    I hear ya.

I have avoided going to my usual LGS as I really, REALLY want the new .327 coming out, and don't want to stumble on to something else that I've been unknowingly wanting.

And that project 616....S&W needs that in production. Now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
    ... And that project 616....S&W needs that in production. Now.
    Smith has all the pieces to the puzzle... they have reintroduced the Model 66 and still make the 617, so all the parts I used would be available. They are set up in-house to bore barrels and cylinders to 32 caliber, so there's that taken care of. The only downside is that if it were made today it would have an internal lock and all MIM parts along with their "modern" grips, and I can hear the purists complaining already. They would probably sell out a limited run quickly, but I don't know where things would go from there. JMHO, of course!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    The .327 I really want is Froggie's but like 9.62, I have no faith in my ability to get there without wanting to fire the first shot at the gunsmith or part vendor.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OuchHot! View Post
    The .327 I really want is Froggie's but like 9.62, I have no faith in my ability to get there without wanting to fire the first shot at the gunsmith or part vendor.
    Actually, to recap the project briefly, I started one Saturday afternoon by ordering the barrel and cylinder online from Brownell's and Numrich respectively. The parts arrived within 2-3 weeks and I sent the barrel out to the West Coast to Delta Guns, who has about the best national reputation for reboring and rerifling. This was actually the most time consuming portion of the process as they are extremely busy and seem to have run into some machine and equipment problems during the time they had my barrel. It took about 5 1/2 months for this step, which I understand can vary greatly (and does.) Andy Horvath had responsibility for reboring the cylinder and doing all the rest of the fitting and assembly including reworking the extractor star (a nasty surprise for us both) and replacing the front sight (not a big deal.) I already had the Model 66 no dash that was my "donor gun" so there was no surprise there... I'd been shooting it for over 20 years. Once Andy had the barrel, the rest of the build only took about two months or so. All in all, from that Saturday in late June until I drove up to pick up my finished gun (which had been ready about a week when I finally got there on my way to an OGCA Gun Show) was about 9 months. A long time? Not if you're a tree! Good things take a long time. (Good,Fast,Affordable... pick two.) I had and have no real belief that S&W will "see the light" and actually build the Model 616 and even if they do, I doubt it will come up to my full custom, purpose built to my specs and wishes.

Of course, this was my own experience a couple of years ago. The stars may align differently if and when someone else might try to follow my footsteps (interesting mix of metaphors) and that project may go fast and smooth or it may seem to drag on forever. This is a prime example of "your mileage may vary!"

Froggie

PS If I didn't already have this project done, I'd probably start it... I'd send the barrel to Delta and try to forget about it until they called that it was ready, then send the rest to Andy when the barrel got back. I would use a no dash or a -1 cylinder from the Model 617 or the Model 648 (22 Magnum) rather than one of the later ones that have those really funky extractors.
    Last edited by Green Frog; 09-16-2014 at 09:17 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Grand Master
    Dream Gun.......Colt Diamondback in 4" or 6", blued, chambered in 327 Federal. Since S&W won't get off their aspirations and make a K-frame. A 6" GP-100 might prompt some spending, though.

Boolit Buddy
    Stopped by the LGS today and got one ordered. About $80 less than MSRP, now just have to wait for them to ship. Maybe order some .327 brass next time Starline has it available. Got several hundred .32 H&R loaded and another few hundred ready to load, so that's not an immediate need.

Quote Originally Posted by goryshaw View Post
    Stopped by the LGS today and got one ordered. About $80 less than MSRP, now just have to wait for them to ship. Maybe order some .327 brass next time Starline has it available. Got several hundred .32 H&R loaded and another few hundred ready to load, so that's not an immediate need.
    Right now you can backorder this brass from Starline. Don't know how long they'll keep it open.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goryshaw View Post
    Call me crazy, but I really like the 327 brass because it can be loaded up good and hot and will not accidentally be shot in a gun not intended for it... it just won't fit! I have some leftover 32 H&R brass from my days with a Buckeye Special and a Model 16-4, and I'm not above using it, but will only load relatively mild loads in it so I have that extra margin of safety. YMMV

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I saw it on Starline's site, but I've already got 500x .32-20 and 500x .45-70 on order with them. And got 10 lbs of powder in the last 2 weeks. Blown this month's reloading/shooting budget, next month's too probably. Trying to arrange a trip to the CMP Western Games next month as well, so more brass is on hold for a while

Boolit Grand Master
    That Starline 32-20 brass is head-and-shoulders above the mainstream brands (WW and RP) in terms of toughness, mouth thickness, and overall durability. DEFINITELY worth the wait.

Boolit Master

Grafs still has 327 Fed Mag brass listed.

RB

Boolit Buddy
    Just looked at gunbroker and a few of the Single 7s have shown up, one just south of me.

Guess I'll be hitting my LGS to see if mine is in yet.

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if that is a pre-sale or if they have it in their hands. Never the less, good sign that they will be shipping soon.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I wonder if that is a pre-sale or if they have it in their hands. Never the less, good sign that they will be shipping soon.
    The verbiage for the auction says that the pistol will not be available for shipping until 9/22. Although I've only used GB once, I don't think selling an item that is not in hand is very smart. Then again, the auction ends on 9/22, so the gun could actually be in possession by then.

Boolit Master
    I've had mine for about a week, haven't shot it yet, but thought y'all would like a few comparison pictures with the 8 shot Black Hawk.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

If you want to push heavy, long bullets, it doesn't have the cylinder the big gun does. It's just almost the same size and balance as my old single six .22lr. The only thing I see about this one that I'm not crazy about, is that the cylinder gap is a little larger than I would like, but hey, kudos to Ruger for putting this one out! Now I have to figure out how to save the bling to buy the long barrel model!

Ive shot a 8 shot blackhawk. Not impressed. Im hoping to get my hands on the single seven later this week.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast