WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: My copy of Cast Bullet Handbook arrived today

Boolit Buddy

My copy of Cast Bullet Handbook arrived today

Now I can start reading!

Boolit Master

Great way to start!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy

If you sit at a computer all day for work, this is a nice site to check out in your downtime

http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by IraqVet1982 View Post
    If you sit at a computer all day for work, this is a nice site to check out in your downtime

http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm
    Thanks for the link. I will read it. I retired in June, so most of my time would be considered "down time", but I seem to be as busy or busier than when I was working!

Super Moderator

Just for grins...have your wife read you the section on cast bullet metallurgy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Just for grins...have your wife read you the section on cast bullet metallurgy.
    The third edition's metallurgy chapter is much easier to read and comprehend. It, too, was written by a metallurgist but with verbiage and a style that doesn't require a doctorate degree to decipher and comprehend.

I gave up reading the fourth's chapter and re-read the third's.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, I prefer my 3rd Edition over my 4th. IMO the 3rd seems to be a bit more for a new caster, and the 4th has bunch of info on Cast Bullets for Black Powder Cartridges. I too got into the metallurgy section of the 4th Ed. and got a bit confused (into like two sentences...). But both are excellent books for any caster's/reloader's library.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    I got mine yesterday too. Ive read it all, including the metallurgy chapter. Now Im generally considered a pretty smart guy but that Dr. Blocks explanation of a phase diagram left me a bit befuddled. I read it...but I only got about 70% of it, and that may be being generous to me. Maybe I need boolit metallurgy for dummies

Boolit Master

How does one acquire this book?

Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    How does one acquire this book?
    Try this link http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...et%2Caps%2C569

Then download this one. It helped me more as a first time caster http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    and I'm and old hand at this game (4 months)
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned

sometimes you just have to read the metallurgy sections of those books a couple of times to get the full meaning clear enough to understand what they are saying.
    once you understand the verbage things become much easier to understand.
    engineers also have a tendency to use acronyms that they think everybody else understands, i run into this when doing research on lube ingredients, i found out the use of poe, poa and pag were quite common terms.
    it just took me a while to be able to translate them in my head and then look up and understand just how [and from what] they were made.
    it then took a little bit to figure out the differences between the grades and compositions of the off shoots.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    bigarm - I have the 3rd edition and it sits on the end table right by my chair. I pick it up almost everyday - either to check on load data I'm thinking about or to just read (and re-read) some of the chapters. A great book and I refer to it more often than to any of the other manuals I have.

BTW - I'm retired too . . . and I don't' know how I ever got everything done when I was working! The days go by much too quickly . . . so take time to smell the roses along the way!

Boolit Grand Master

Good choice, I'll save a more thorough reading of the metallurgy section for sleepless nights.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.