Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A really awesome and touching thank you from an 8 year old boy

A really awesome and touching thank you from an 8 year old boy

There is no doubt that mail is not like it used to be. Well, for me, that wasn't true yesterday. I received this hand written note from Collin for helping coach him in shooting over a two day period. He accomplished a lot of things that most adults would yearn to do. Sorry, but there are no CB's in this story, but the thing I wanted to share (besides my joy) is the importance of passing on the sport to young ones around us. This dad brought his son on a 6.5 hour drive to get to where we shot at.
    If you want the full story I would be glad to share, but I thought this was the important part:
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Master

This is what we all should live for, the next generation!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Hat's off to you. I generally don't deal with young children. However, I have had to make an exception with my own.

She doesn't thank me, just asks if she can play in the sand some more.

Keep it fun and they will keep coming back.

Boolit Master

The best part of what we do is sharing it with others and when they are young AND grateful that is the pinnacle.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I have spent the last 11 years an SCTP shotgun coach and an international skeet coach for juniors 8 of those years. The greatest thing is to see the smile on their face! I applaud all who take the time to teach and mentor, it means so much. I know you will treasure that letter for years to come, and he will remember the experience as well. We would love to hear more of the story, and pics too

Outstanding!

To the guys who are passing it on and have shared-Thanks for sharing! Great stuff for sure.
    For those that want the rest of the story, here it is.
    WARNING: No CB's were shot down range during this time frame. Read at your own risk.

I was able to do some coaching with a 8 year old boy shooting distance with a Savage 6.5-284 Rifle (factory 9T barrel), 3-12 Huskemaw scope, and MAC brake.

Chuck McIntosh (Mac's Gunworks, Gillette, WY) was helping coach some as well.
    We ended up the day with the young man making multiple connections at 1440 yards using his (dad's) Savage rifle.
    Very proud of this young man.
    He also fired a suppressed 300 RUM and made a first shot connection (He only fired the rifle one time) at 500 yards on a 5" square target.
    The pics below shows him shooting a 6mm Creedmoor and the 300 RUM he shot.

The next day I brought a couple of Specialty Pistol's for him to play with.
    284 Win rear grip XP-100 (168 SMK's), McRee Chassis, at 850 yards.
    He went to 850 after he got bored with 10" targets at 400 and 500 yards.
    We ended up having switchy winds, which made things more difficult, but still fun.

And at 750 yards with the 6.5-284 bench pistol.

Can't wait to see how this young man develops as a shooter.
    He has no hesitation when it comes to distance.
    The thought of, "I can't" or "That is not possible" does not limit this boy
    It was a real pleasure coaching him.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Wow....I want this kid on my team!! Amazing....and huge kudos to you for investing the time and expense in this young man. This truly IS the future of shooting!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know some of the folks in the industry that deserve a "Thank You & Job Well Done!" for making this possible.
    Savage Arms/The Rifle
    Best of The West/Huskemaw Scope
    Mac's Gunworks/ Muzzle Brake, Load Development and Loading all of the ammunition. They have also (while the boy and his dad were there), chopped the stock and reworked the trigger. Chuck also began walking both of them through how to load and let Collin participate (supervised) in certain aspects of the process.

I have helped teach folks for quite a period of time now, but no one this young (with the exception of my son and daughter).
    It was my pleasure to teach him. I have a 15" XP-100 (Long Dasher) that I would have liked for him to run, but time didn't permit it.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Grand Master

Super!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

What a joy the young shooters can be. It is great when the combination is an eager but focused young mind and great equipment. GP

I know grown men that talk a big game and get nervous shooting out to 300yds when on the range. I hope the kiddo keeps it up and continues his practice, it certainly will be of great value to his whole life no matter what opportunity pops his way.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome! I sent my older boys (12 and 13) through Iowa YHEC on a local team last year, (they did horribly because they were only shooting for a couple of months, I grew up a suburbanite in Chicagoland and I've never hunted, but they were with a pile of farm kids.. which, well my kids actually are because I moved there before I adopted them) and they want to do it again. I will likely go through Iowa DNR Hunter's Ed Instructor training next year so I can be a coach... I hold NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Credentials so they think I'm a good candidate! (amazing what a weekend course will do for ya, eh?)

But it's wonderful showing them that guns are just simple machines that can be used for good or for harm, like so many other things. A few range trips and even a 12 year old can see through the invalid emotional arguments that are always thrown by the left. Reality and causality is a VERY good thing for a developing mind...

The very encouraging about having the worst ability kids with the best attitude at the state YHEC is that is the DNR officers and staffers were really happy to have them. We need to encourage more like that... Overall taking kids shooting is a really positive and worthwhile event. You teach kids to think about things and be safe and it transfers over to other things other than firearms. At almost driving age, the range safety lessons seem to have rubbed off into conversations about driving too... we will see.. I certainly hope, since that's more dangerous for my boys than a day at the range by far.

Thank you for investing into our future!
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Master
    Looks like it was fun for all involved! I find that most young people don't know that they are not supposed to be able to acomplish something until the old folk convince them they can't I think I can, I think I can, I think can, I CAN !
    Be a supporting voice always, you did very good!

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    If it were me, I would have to put that note in a frame and hang it on my wall. Great job and congratulations!

Dave,
    Thank you for that advice.
    In fact, I have a number of folks who have suggested the very same thing, and I think you are all spot on!
    I haven't done it yet, but I will frame it and put it in my reloading room.
    I do and will cherish it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    If it were me, I would have to put that note in a frame and hang it on my wall. Great job and congratulations!
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Buddy

Neatest part of it ? Your friend Collin. Priceless

Most definitely!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crowbuster View Post
    Neatest part of it ? Your friend Collin. Priceless
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Master
    Excellent job, Ernie!

Yup, teaching kids to shoot is wonderful... so much so that I've cleared it with the wife and now I'm waiting for the NRA to offer the instructor courses somewhere close to home again. I'll be getting all three certs, shotgun, rifle, and handgun, so I can teach my sons' boyscout troop and any other children who happen to wander across my path.