WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: pewter

Boolit Bub

pewter

When and if I find some pewter can I smelt it down like lead ( in smaller ingots ).

Boolit Grand Master

Yes. Same process, except lower heat.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Banned
    I made my own mold out of two aluminum blocks. Casts 1oz slugs.

Makes getting your ratios easier, makes adding a pound or two to the pot easier

Boolit Bub
    Thats what I was planing to do. When I start to make bullets can I then add the pewter to the lead.

Yes, it will make nice SHINY ingots. I cast some using a 45ACP mould. That way I can add it in small increments. There is usually someone on this site selling pewter.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Bub
    Copy thanks

Lately I've been going to thrift stores looking for old beat up pewter bowls and cups. Also found a large number of pewter picture frames for short money that way. I usually end up paying between $3 and $6 a pound that way and make small ingots from aluminum muffin pans.

Boolit Bub
    when melting down the pewter do you still need to flux or skim off anything that mat have been added to the mix? what is the melting point of pewter?

Boolit Grand Master

Pewter melts at 350 - 450 degrees depending on exact alloy. Yes you flux to remove dirt, old polish, and return oxides to the melt.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Think the main point is to cast your pewter stock into small or thin pieces since you will only use small amounts to sweeten a pot of lead with a little tin. So a thin wafer worth in a muffin tin, a large boolit mold, or an ingot thin enough to break apart for a few oz. at a time is what you want to end up with.

It would only take 1/3 of a lb. of pewter to make a 20 lb. pot of COWW's have 2% tin. Little over 5 oz. would do the whole pot.

FWIW - a wide cold chisel can cut through a disk of pewter from the muffin pan or a thin ingot from a half filled mold pretty easily. But casting pewter into bullets will give you very consistent weight chunks making your "recipe" a little easier to repeat and less hassle. Some people just use tongs and dip an end into the pot and melt the end off of the ingot.

Boolit Mold
    I went off to a second hand thrift shop and bought what i thought was a pewter tumbler - it was quite heavy and looked to be cast. It wasnt a shiny metal but rather matt looking. It bounced when i dropped it on concrete but shattered when i hit it with a hammer - does that sound like pewter?? I hope so cos i wanted to throw a bit in my next pot full of lead. I estimated about 5grains weighed in my powder scale for a 10Lb pot - does that sound about right?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leverlad View Post
    I went off to a second hand thrift shop and bought what i thought was a pewter tumbler - it was quite heavy and looked to be cast. It wasnt a shiny metal but rather matt looking. It bounced when i dropped it on concrete but shattered when i hit it with a hammer - does that sound like pewter?? I hope so cos i wanted to throw a bit in my next pot full of lead. I estimated about 5grains weighed in my powder scale for a 10Lb pot - does that sound about right?
    No, I'm afraid that isn't pewter. Check the thread in my signature for some good tips and examples.

Boolit Grand Master

If I were going to cast ingots from pewter I think I would use a large caliber bullet mold, like something for a 44mag or even a 45-70. The small sections of the Lee ingot mold would be another choice. The bullet mold would give you very consistent weights to work with.

Boolit Bub

Thanks for the suggestions for casting my pewter ingots using bullet molds. Smart, really smart.

Boolit Buddy
    Makes me want to buy a gang mold. I'm using a silicone candy mold, making coin-shaped puddles about 1oz each and 1/4" thick. With straight walls in the mold, thickness linearly translates to weight.

Banned
    I use my lyman ingot mould and pour them about 1/8 inch thick. Gives me 2 oz about every time.