Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sources of tin

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Back in the day when Sn was cheaper than the "new" technology of electro-galvanizing steel, sheet tin was used in stuff. There is also Sn coated steel! Always have your magnet at the ready. I remember seeing it as a kid in the scrap yards I scrounged relays, tubes, resistors, and capacitors from! Had no interest in it then.

Last year I ran across a "new" old roll of pure 1/4" ID tubing in the Pb bin at a local yard. About 30# of it......for the price of Pb. They though it was Pb covered wire. I have heard it was used in the early days of refrigeration for potable liquids? Nice stuff.

banger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Iowa View Post
    When we refer to solder, the terms 50/50, 40/60 etc. are used.

Is that tin/lead content or lead/tin?
    The bar solder we have from KESTER such as 63/37 or 60/40 always refers to 63%Sn/37%PB and 60%Sn/40%Pb.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master

When we refer to solder, the terms 50/50, 40/60 etc. are used.

Is that tin/lead content or lead/tin?

Also, I found some rolls of OLD solder laying around. One is marked rosin core another acid core.

I am certain the rosin core is fine to use, but what about acid core?

From what I recall from my younger days, solid core solder was typically used for plumbing and general soldering, rosin for electrical, and acid for sheet metal.

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    The bar solder we have from KESTER such as 63/37 or 60/40 always refers to 63%Sn/37%PB and 60%Sn/40%Pb.

Jerry
    Correct! The first number is always tin percentage.

The solder alloys that Ken in Iowa mentioned are the solder alloys that I have. More 40/60. From what others have posted, this is somewhat uncommon, where the alloys that Jerry posted are more common.

Acid core solder works just like any other. I would not melt it down by itself to cast into ingots. That much acid(or rosin) makes a mess(IMHO, ask me how I know). Better to just snip off what you need for the pot and then use sawdust if there is too much left on top. There shouldn't be a need for the sawdust.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

I would rather slam my di... hand in a drawer than put acid or rosin core solder straight into my casting pot.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

When I started casting I found 95/5 solder (which is 95% tin and 5% antimony...practically pure tin) on sale for $10/lb at a local hardware-type store. I only bought two rolls. Should have bought all they had - but it did quite nicely until I found a source of pewter here in the S&S forum.

I am still amazed at how people in some parts of our nation can find truckloads of pewter at less than scrap prices; here (meaning a large swath of a three-state area) I can go through thousands of square feet of junk stores and never find a single pewter piece, or if I find one they want $20 for a half-pound of material.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I would rather slam my di... hand in a drawer than put acid or rosin core solder straight into my casting pot.
    I hope you have more choices that that.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    When I started casting I found 95/5 solder (which is 95% tin and 5% antimony...practically pure tin) on sale for $10/lb at a local hardware-type store. I only bought two rolls. Should have bought all they had - but it did quite nicely until I found a source of pewter here in the S&S forum.

I am still amazed at how people in some parts of our nation can find truckloads of pewter at less than scrap prices; here (meaning a large swath of a three-state area) I can go through thousands of square feet of junk stores and never find a single pewter piece, or if I find one they want $20 for a half-pound of material.
    I am the same way. Pewter is non existent in most junk stores around me. Only "collectable" garbage they want too much $$ for. And my time much too valuable to be roaming 2nd hand stores every day looking for a lousy pound or two of pewter.

I get my Sn at scrap yards. Just hauled home over 280# of it..............at Pb salvage prices!

banger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    From what I have read about the rosin core solder, this is pine rosin. Isn't that used as a casting flux? I'm thinking of just using a computed amount to increase tin content as alamogunr suggested. The amount of rosin would be negligible.

It appears that the acid core solder uses Aniline hydrochloride. I think we should forget about that one.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Tin - $15 per pound v RotoMetal at 20 bucks a pound
    John Walters
    500 N. Avery Dr.
    Moore, OK 73160
    Phone: 405-799-0376
    Email: thetinwadman@cox.net
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

From what I have read about the rosin core solder, this is pine rosin. Isn't that used as a casting flux? I'm thinking of just using a computed amount to increase tin content as alamogunr suggested. The amount of rosin would be negligible.

It appears that the acid core solder uses Aniline hydrochloride. I think we should forget about that one.
    Your choice of course, but I don't put dirt in my casting pot. Clean metal goes in, clean metal comes out. The rare fluxing that might be required is done by stirring with a paint stick.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 10-28-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: danged autocorrect
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Watch garage sales, I just picked a 25lb roll of 95/5 for 20 bucks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12