RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: help identify CSB powder

Boolit Man

help identify CSB powder

I have aquired some powder that came from MAAXAM , so it should be CSB , but i am not sure if it is CSB-1 , or CSB-5 . It weighs about 8.7 Gr per cc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NR485.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Looks just like the csb-6 that I picked up recently,no label telling you what it is?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Skimp View Post
    Looks just like the csb-6 that I picked up recently,no label telling you what it is?
    It is sold by NATMIL , they call it NR-485

From the data I see on the site the NR-485 matches closely in performance to Universal. That would make it csb-1.
    csb-6 seems to be a bit faster than csb-1 from the posted load data.
    Has anyone posted a pic of CSB-1?
    Found one. It looks very much the same as the CSB-6. Difficult to tell much from one picture to the next.
    Powders were not laying side by side or in similar containers, so proportions are a guess.
    Last edited by tazman; 09-03-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    From the data I see on the site the NR-485 matches closely in performance to Universal. That would make it csb-1.
    csb-6 seems to be a bit faster than csb-1 from the posted load data.
    Has anyone posted a pic of CSB-1?
    Found one. It looks very much the same as the CSB-6. Difficult to tell much from one picture to the next.
    Powders were not laying side by side or in similar containers, so proportions are a guess.
    So, looking at my chrono data in the other thread I had regarding this powder, you think i should experiment using starting universal data?

JIM

Boolit Man
    I may try it in 357, just to see how it acts - hodgdon site lists Titegroup at 5.4 to 6.1 , Universal 5.8 to 6.3
    Star with 5.9 or so NR-485?

JIM

Boolit Master
    I have data for NR-485 and CSB-1..

It looks sort of like either of those powders..

NR-485 claimed titegroup ballistics and I compared it to titegroup grain for grain in one or two calibers.. it is much more like Universal than Titegroup..
    Last edited by sargenv; 09-03-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
    I have data for NR-485 and CSB-1..

It looks sort of like either of those powders..

NR-485 claimed titegroup ballistics and I compared it to titegroup grain for grain in one or two calibers.. it is much more like Universal than Titegroup..
    So you think the NR-485 is CSB-1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by jim8115 View Post
    So, looking at my chrono data in the other thread I had regarding this powder, you think i should experiment using starting universal data?

JIM
    If I had some of that powder here to try, I would most likely use Universal data as a baseline. Your results may vary. Since I am not the one who will be doing the testing, I am hardly in a position to make that kind of suggestion to you.
    That said, I don't load my ammunition to full house performance levels. I go for accuracy. With my pistols I always end up at the lower end of the load range. That seems to be where they shoot the best.

Boolit Man
    Yea, most of what I load is on the mild side also. We shoot so much, I hate beating the guns up. I do keep some full house 357's around for fun , and load some 155 XTP's up for my XD 40 with a healthy dose of Power Pistol . 1200 + FPS... Those will get your attemtion, as well as everyone around you, but they are seriously accurate, but again I dont shoot a lot of them. My normal 40 load is a 165 at about 950

JIM

Boolit Man
    The only reason i am even messing with it, is because powder has been so scarce. I have 10 lbs of this, and am going to get another 10 while I can . I am afraid that with elections coming up again in '16 , we are going to see the panic buying / shortages again..Will it never end?

Boolit Mold
    I had the same problem, I think you have CSB-5, because of the color.
    http://www.shooterspagetx.com/rio/co...ts_powders.htm

I bought this powder a couple of months ago. It was unclear at the time as to what kind of powder it was.
    Here is a photo of the granular structure of the Surplus Powder, and a photo of the label.

I bought the Surplus Powder from North Georgia Reloading at a gun show in Richmond, VA. I called them and they said it was CSB-1. I don’t believe it. I think it is CSB-5 because of the color. CSB-1 is gray. CSB-5 is mostly greenish and slightly gray. The powder I have is mostly greenish and slightly gray. It looks just like CSB-5. I found the load data on the container is accurate. I also found others who posted load data using known samples of CSB-1 and CSB-5. I used a Oehler chronograph to check the velocities of the powder in 9mm, 40cal, 38 S&w and 45acp. The powder I have more closely matches CSB-5 than CSB-1.

So the moral of the story, the load data on the label is accurate for CSB-5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SurplusPowder.jpg  

Boolit Man
    Ron, here are some of the results ( NR-485 ) I got with a .40
    40 S&W 165 Zero JHP 1.120 XD40 4"
    For comparison- 5.0 w231 H 965 L 952 AVG 960
    5.0 NR-485 H 946 L 931 Avg 938

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jim8115 View Post
    Ron, here are some of the results ( NR-485 ) I got with a .40
    40 S&W 165 Zero JHP 1.120 XD40 4"
    For comparison- 5.0 w231 H 965 L 952 AVG 960
    5.0 NR-485 H 946 L 931 Avg 938
    Different that mine.40cal, 165 JHP; 5.5g Surplus 1.130oal, avg. 905 fps./ which is consistent with the label on the bottle of the stuff I bought.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron of Va View Post
    Different that mine.40cal, 165 JHP; 5.5g Surplus 1.130oal, avg. 905 fps./ which is consistent with the label on the bottle of the stuff I bought.
    What bullet were you using? That and the different COl may account for our difference, as well as the gun.. What are we talking, like , 3% ?

Boolit Man
    Whoops, just noticed, your 905 was with 5.5, mine was at 5.0

Boolit Man
    Although I load and shoot about 20,000 rounds a year, i never stray from published data, so this is new to me. Going with my test results so far, i am going to try upping the load a bit in the 38 . Most of what i shoot is target velocity, but i like to keep some warmer ones around also , plus I am curious. So, i am thinking of going to 4.0 and 4.2 grains with the 158 Zero Lead hollow point. Expecting 800 FPS with the 4.2 from the 4" model 10.What do y'all think ?
    For reference, results so far
    3.6 NR-485 706,719,694,713,695,706 AVG 705
    3.8 NR 485 H 774 L 708 AVG 736

JIM

Assuming it follows the Universal data which is has so far you are good to 4.5 grains.
    Going stepwise like you are you should notice any problems before they cause anything serious.
    You may get a little over 800 with the 4.2 grain load, but it should be close.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Assuming it follows the Universal data which is has so far you are good to 4.5 grains.
    Going stepwise like you are you should notice any problems before they cause anything serious.
    You may get a little over 800 with the 4.2 grain load, but it should be close.
    I will let you know. I appreciate everones help. i really like this powder , so far. I wish i could get some to you to sample....

Boolit Mold
    With the Surplus Powder that I have, and referenced in the above post, I got these results with .38.

4.6g Surplus 158 SWC, oal 1.458” produced 875 fps (I am staying here)
    4.6g Surplus 124 RN lead, 860 fps

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast