RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice loads for my .40S&W Shield

Boolit Master

Practice loads for my .40S&W Shield

I recently got my Shield and decided to increase the power with the .40 version. This will be my dedicated carry gun. I have an upcoming ccw class at the end of October. Not surprisingly the little Shield is a pretty wild ride so to speak.
    Understand from the beginning I am not a newcomer to pistol shooting. I send several thousand rounds downrange every year. I reload almost all of that several thousand.
    The Shield while controllable, is not meant to be shot 100 times in a practice session. It is meant to save you bacon when the dookie hits the fan. It was scaled back by design to make it very concealable. it is small and thin. Since my first session with it at the range I have determined that some better traction is going to be key for control. I got one of the Hogue Handall slip on grips. Vast improvement!
    I also added the Pierce grips to the magazine. This gives my Pinky a place to rest.

SO here is the meat to the taters
    I need a good practice round that will not punish me. Lower recoil with good accuracy.
    Not just a Bunny fart load but one that performs also.
    So I have taken it upon my own to do a bit of a ladder test. Possibly not the most scientific methodology. But I think in the end it will be suited to me.
    At present I only have 2 .40 molds, the Lee 175 TC in a 6 banger and an MP brass 4 cav with multi pins also in the 165 to 175 Gr range depending on which pins are used. I am currently hunting a 140 Gr mold without grooves I can PC, and the same configuration in a 180 Gr. For now I will stick with the 175 Lee. It has worked nicely in all my other .40s
    It is by the way a Powder Coated round.

My plan is to start by looking at book loads and make a number of rounds with each powder I have. Starting just below minimum and working up to just less that maximum.
    I have the Alliant book and the latest Lymans to reference.
    At present I have
    Unique
    Bullseye
    Power Pistol
    Tite Group
    CFE Pistol
    Red dot
    Green Dot

I plan on at least 3 loadings of 10 rounds with each powder and possibly more depending on the powders range.
    Again keep in mind I am not attempting to break any record here. Just find a nice easy shooting PRACTICE load that is also reasonably accurate at 5 and 7 Yards.
    At this point I have 100 rounds made up and will most likely make up another 200 when I get all the powders included.
    The biggest variable in the equation is ME. I plan to take notes as I shoot and eliminate the loads that, for what ever reason just don't cut it. Then I will go back and evaluate the ones that are left and possibly try a variation. Like different Boolit? Slight variation in powder charge, and continue eliminating until I have 2 or 3 left
    I would take any comments, Ideas, criticisms or ?
    This undertaking is as much to share my information and also learn from your experience.
    I will add pictures and notes as I progress.

Blanco
    Last edited by Blanco; 09-02-2014 at 11:46 PM.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

The spring on the shield is pretty stout. I would try 3.8-4gr of RD under a 175-180gr cast.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Just a guess, but I would say the spring on my Shield is between 4~5 lb.. not terrible.
    I think I remember reading that some areas were getting heavy springs (Lawyer Proof)
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master
    Are there lighter springs available?? With a 1911, there are springs available down to the single digits. That way you could shoot lighter loads.
    for practice. Don't forget to switch back. Don't forget to practice with full power loads either.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Although I shoot a G22 I agree with fredj338 on 3.8 - 4.0 gr Red Dot / Promo under a 175 gr boolit.

Boolit Master
    My USPSA Minor load is a light charge of Bullesye under the Lee 175 TC bullet. since you want an easy load start at 3.5 gr and work up.

WST is even better for Minor 40 loads if you can find it.

Boolit Master

I load the 175TC cast from 50/50 Pure/COWW. Drops at 182gr. PC with HF Red and loaded over 4.8gr WST. Gives me 975fps from 3" XD. Not a light load but drop to 4.0-4.3gr is much more controllable.

Love Life
    The steps of the scientific method are to:

• Ask a Question.
    • Do Background Research.
    • Construct a Hypothesis.
    • Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment.
    • Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion.
    • Communicate Your Results.

Personally, I would load full snort and practice with those.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The steps of the scientific method are to:

• Ask a Question.
    • Do Background Research.
    • Construct a Hypothesis.
    • Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment.
    • Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion.
    • Communicate Your Results.

Personally, I would load full snort and practice with those.
    Yep, get used to full load, then go lite to play.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    Yep, get used to full load, then go lite to play.
    I can tell you haven't shot a Shield.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Having loaded .40 and much more its bigger brother 10mm with lotsa cast of that design(175 lee tc) skip titegroup, I love it in 9mm especially with plated bullets for high volume practice. However it's just a mess, filthy, hot burning, and with little margin of error in the 40 with cast in my experience.
    Power pistol is great in 9,40,10mm and does great full power.
    I am eager to see your results with CFE pistol and cast.

I have to second Love Life's recommendation. Full power costs next to nothing in comparison to "practice" or "play" loads. If you are serious about using that pistol for defense, I strongly recommend building an accurate load that has as much orMORE recoil than your selected defense load.
    It costs next to nothing more, and is added value for a training regimen.

I use blue dot fairly frequently in the 10mm and 9mm and have had moderate success in the 40 with it. It'll probably be flashy in the short barrel of the sheild. But it seems to be easier to get than many pistol powders these days if you run into any.

EDIT: I missed that you were powder coating. The smoke and mess may be considerably reduced in the .40 with titegroup, I stand by the small margin of error though.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I would agree that full power loads are the only true way to practice for concealed carry. The Shield in .40 is not just a gun you pick up and start shooting. Some may be able to do it, but it is not just a point and click operation. There is a definite technique involved in keeping this little powerhouse under control. I think once the technique is mastered with a practice round that works well, then progressing to the full house loads will give better results.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Love Life
    I have shot a shield. 40 S&W sucks in all handguns.

My opinion reflects this^
    I just went to the ten. I reload 40 for buddies.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Bub
    If its your carry gun the best load to practice with is what your going to use in it for self defense period

Boolit Master
    There is a reason you see so many Shields for sale or trade.
    Durring the panic S&W couldn't make them fast enough and people bought just because there was a panic, kinda like a stampede.
    Now that the stampede is over and they take their Shield out and shoot it a bit they realize they don't like it, because they have a hard time shooting accurately and the muzzle blast is a bit overwhelming... AND thats just on the 9mm.

The .40 is that X3. Our Texas hunting forum has a classifieds and last week i saw no less than 4 Shields for sale.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a Lee 145, 4.1 grains of TiteGroup, 1.090" OAL or a Lee 175 with 4.4 grains of TG at 1.135". I favor the 145 load as it recoils less and is much more accurate. We are trying to put together a group buy for a 6 cavity Lee 145 mold if you or anyone else is interested? Here - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...grain-SWC-mold

My go-to load for 40 S&W (a full size M&P 40 and a Sig SP2022) was the Lee 401-175-TC powder coated with 5.0g Unique with the bullet seated to where the edge of the cone sits right on the case mouth. This gave me an average MV of 1025 fps measured 10' from the gun. I have since backed off on the seating die to seat the bullet at the spec'ed 1.135" COL (0.208" seat depth) and those rounds average 925 fps. Good recoil, but not too bad.

For "9mm like" recoil, my favorite load is 3.0g Red Dot, Clays or Titewad with the same bullet. It gets me 770 fps which feels almost exactly like the Lee 356-120-TC with 4.2g Unique @1100 fps through the same M&P 40 with the 9mm barrel. I would recommend that load for target shooting so long as the Shield cycles properly with that load. It should, but wear a hat and eye protection because the cases may not fly over your shoulders but instead land on your head.

You could change the springs for the ligher load, but I would not recommend it in the event you forget to change springs and start battering your gun. The 9mm Shield spring is the same fit, just lighter. The original FS guns used the same spring for 9/40/357, they have since changed to different 9 and 40 springs.
    Last edited by rsrocket1; 09-04-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    I can tell you haven't shot a Shield.
    Nope, no need to unless someone has one they want me to shoot, there is a reason I have Glocks.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    Just a guess, but I would say the spring on my Shield is between 4~5 lb.. not terrible.
    I think I remember reading that some areas were getting heavy springs (Lawyer Proof)
    A really bad guess, No one puts 5# springs in anything but a 22lr.
    The Shield is quite a bit smaller than the XDs45. I got to shoot one last month, a beast in 40 with full power ammo. If I bought a Shield, it would likely be in 9mm for that reason. Same thing for the G26 vs G27, the 9mm is just a lot easier to shoot well in a small/light gun.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast