Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 circa 1977 Feeding Problem

Boolit Buddy

Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 circa 1977 Feeding Problem

I was hoping someone could possibly diagnose the problem I am having with my model 60 Marlin. After you chamber the first round and fire, as the next round is coming up, instead of coming up vertical as it is suppose to, to slide on the feed ramp and into the chamber, there is something that is throwing the bullet almost horizontal and then that round jams the hole works up. I have taken the rifle completely apart, cleaned and lubed as required and it still does the same thing. Has anyone had this happen to them or heard of it as a problem? Is there a gunsmith out there who might be able to give me some idea of what to check?

Boolit Bub
    Is the lifter coming up?
    Maybe the spring is not hooked under it?
    Not sure if I understand the problem.

There is an awful amount of info about feed problems in the RFC site.

Boolit Master

Older model 60s are notorious for feed throat issues. If you look, you will see that the feed throat itself is two pieces, riveted together. The newer style is a one piece with a slightly different lifter. You can get an upgrade kit from Numrich that will likely fix your problem. the two piece throat spreads apart over time and the slop causes all sorts of misfeeds.

Boolit Master

+1 on the kit. I had to drimel the corners and the side flair to get mine to work but it does great now. NO, FTF or FTE of any kind. That's with Federal and Remington ammo ( the cheep stuff) Just match it up to how yours looks and should go right back together.
    Great resource here:
    http://www.bwgriffin.com/marlin60/Marlin60b.pdf
    This is the one I got.
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...-prod8713.aspx
    Trust me it works and you will have a brand new rifle w/ many more years of use ahead. PS don't trim the spring. The Marlin uses the ejector spring point to eject the spent brass. If you need any help PM me and I'll see what I can do to help you out. My old feed ramp split(bad design) but the new design is one peace.
    If you look on my avatar that is my daughter holding the fixed Marlin 60. Great gun worth fixing.

Boolit Buddy
    I love the old Model 60 for its longer barrel length, as opposed to the new ones, but hate the feed issue. That feed kit may take mine out of retirement at last!
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Master

I have one I bought new in 1996 with LSHO and 14rd mag. Got a 1979 model year from a pawn shop for my boy. Had 18rd mag, no LSHO and feed throat issues. Fixed the feed throat. Major mods required to add LSHO but 18rd mag is nice. Great shooter!

Boolit Buddy

Thanks you guys for the great information. Now that you mentioned it, it is two pieces and they look like they are spread apart too far and the bullet is getting pinched and shove horizontal. I am going to get the kit and put in it and see if that fixes the issue.

Boolit Master

Mine has just started the feeding issue the last time I had it out and thank to you guys I know how fix it. Again thank much!!!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

Don't be afraid to take a dremmel to the feed throat box.... if you have an older model 60 pull out the old feed throat and the bolt. Dremmel the new one (feed throat box) to contour to your bolt and it will work.... you will see what I'm talking about when you get it. Just take it slow and remove a little at a time. Should only have to form the outside of the box. Let me know and I can take a few pictures of the work I did on mine and show you what I'm talking about. So far I've run about 500 rounds through it....no issues, not one. But if you are going to get the kit you may want to order the other springs too (sear and firing pin)

Boolit Master

Kungfu is right. Now I remember I had to stone to top of the new feed throat to keep the bolt from dragging. Also had to bend and stone the lifter spring for alignment and clearance. Took some fitting but wasn't difficult and works great

Boolit Buddy
    Before you order the fed kit from Numrich, check the Ejector Spring. Use a nickle for a gauge. That cured the problem on mine.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388240

This shows how to do it better than I can explain.