Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 4198 for .454 Casull

Boolit Master

4198 for .454 Casull

I had some EXCELLENT results using 4198 in a .357 magnum handi rifle. I'm kinda curious how it would work in a .454 Casull handi rifle.

Has anyone ever run this powder with say, a 340g boolit?

Boolit Master
    I notice Hodgdon's website lists .460 S&W data. It can't be too much a stretch to make this powder work for the Casull. Especially in a rifle.

Hi Dean,

My concern would be sticking a bullet in the barrel. Of course, it's not that big a deal, I had one two weeks ago. I carry an eight inch brass rod for just that reason.

Why do you want to do it? Do you have lots of 4198, or is it just curiosity? You might get it to work, but I'll wager other powders will be more satisfactory.

Let us know if you decide to try it.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master
    I don't think sticking a bullet is gonna be a problem. 13.0g of 4198 under an RCBS 35-200 in .357 magnum (Handi rifle) shot under 2" at fifty yards (10 round group) and i was hitting clays at 100 yards.

Granted, the casull case and the .357 are apples and oranges but the .357 load barked loud enough i needed ear plugs. No danger of a squib with it.

The little woman just bought me a new Chronograph for my Bday, so I'll be getting some concrete numbers soon.

Boolit Master
    I think 4198 should work OK in just about any strait-wall case--works good for me in 45-70

Boolit Master
    Playing around this morning, I can get 27.0g of 4198 in my case with the seating depth i require. That charge makes contact with the boolit base but doesn't actually compress it.

Might have to run a couple when my new chronograph gets here.

Dean

I think that may work out really well
    Ive jammed a "case full" of h4198 in my 460 s&w behind 340 gr and 405 gr boolits. 5" barrel. No pressure signs at all, and a bit of unburned powder. Im betting the smaller case and long barrel will work to good efficiency

Loads were from MD smith

Man, why dont they make a 460 s&w handi rifle?

Boolit Grand Master

Dean, I used 34 gr IMR 4198 in a 10 inch Freedom Arms revolver with a 240 gr bullet for quite some time in silhouette, standard primer at 1430 fps. Accurate load but a real PITA to load, an 8 inch drop tube is needed to get that much in the case and seat a 240 gr bullet to the canelure, yep, compressed load. You can't get enough in the case to run into pressure problems. Expect reduced velocity but an accurate, consistent load. I haven't tried it with heavy boolits in the 300+ range.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    27.0g of 4198 w/ 340g flat point plain base chronos 1440fps quite consistent and pretty darn accurate too from my handi rifle.

Curious though, between shots, the barrel is FULL of the thickest black smoke you ever saw. Barrel is running clean but if you blow in the breech you get a plume of smoke out the muzzle. I have yet to see that before.

Banned

not a complete burn [shrug]
    I seen it the other day when I switched from rifle to pistol primers in my 300 bo and i was only using 3.5 grs
    of 700-x.
    I seen it on the target too as vertical stringing.