Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Star accessories to get?

Boolit Master
    Guys about 20 years ago I had a Star that had a extension tube that was 2x as long as the stock luber. I plugged the vent hole on the luber and had a machinest (sp) cut an adapter that allowed me to screw another Star tube together with the one one the luber. I used a piece of all thread for the lube screw IIRC and it worked great.

I think if a person looked around and found a small air cylinder that had a rod length about twice of the one that Magma sells that it would be possible to do it all with air....Wes

Banned

ive done just the same thing and it works great. Its a big time saver as the stars so fast that you can run it dry in no time with the stock resivour. Mine will hold about the equivelent of 3 sticks now. Only trouble is, out in the cold barn it takes some serious spring pressure to make the lube move or even more heat juggling to get it to work just right. Overall though i love it!

Banned
    where do you get the roller handle and how much? pics? -chris

Boolit Master

Magma Engineering lists the roller handle on their websight. Part number S117A Shovel Handle $33.95

Could someone show some pictures of their extended/modified lube tube set ups with required parts list? Will these adapt to manual and air lubing? I have two standard star sizers but haven't got a clear picture in my mind to start building from scratch.
    Last edited by buckndee; 02-02-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    buckndee, first plug the vent hole on the tube. You can place a piece of old innertube over it and then us a hose clamp to seal it off or tap the hole and put a very short screw in it.
    Then I took an old sizer apart and had the tube cap cut off to form a threaded coupler and screwed it onto the tube on the sizer and then screwed the spare tube on to the coupler with the vent hole towards the top of the tube. I then made a long lube screw from allthread to replace the original lube screw and threaded two large nuts on the top of it and used a ratchet to put pressure on the lube in the sizer. Sorry that the best I can do. A lot of this is fly by the seat of your pants stuff. I am sure someone will come up with a better description and a list of what you need...Wes

Forester on the first page wrote:

You are right about the lube recipe. Here is what I would have to say is the "local" favorite: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ght=felix+lube
    Wow! DUDE! That thread is 8 pages long. Holy cow!

As I get closer to actually casting bullets, I'll get back to that thread.

Some other dumb noobie questions for you all:

1. Once you make up your lube, all the ingredients are melted down and it's still in a liquid state, then what do you with it?

2. How do you get the lube from whatever or however state you're storing it in, into the lube reservoir of the Star?

3. I have a Dillon 550 with the roller handle. Do you all think the roller shovel handle for the Star is as good an accessory as the roller handle is to the Dillons?

Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Russel Nash View Post
    Forester on the first page wrote:

Wow! DUDE! That thread is 8 pages long. Holy cow!

As I get closer to actually casting bullets, I'll get back to that thread.

Some other dumb noobie questions for you all:

1. Once you make up your lube, all the ingredients are melted down and it's still in a liquid state, then what do you with it?

2. How do you get the lube from whatever or however state you're storing it in, into the lube reservoir of the Star?

3. I have a Dillon 550 with the roller handle. Do you all think the roller shovel handle for the Star is as good an accessory as the roller handle is to the Dillons?

Thanks!
    1. Either pour it directly into the sizer, or if you are making a large batch for later use pour it into short pieces of PVC pipe and let it harden.

2. put the hardened sticks in the reservoir and screw on whatever pressure assembly you are using (air or spring)

3. I have both. The Star handle is nice but not as required as the Dillon...on a Dillon they should not even sell one without the roller handle.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways
    to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."
    - Charles Austin Beard (1874-1948)

"The most effective way to find ourselves enslaved
    will not be done openly. If weakened we will sink gradually. I ask, who are the militia? They consist of the whole people,.... except a few public officers."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Banned

thats funny i love the shovel handle on the starr
    and hate it in the dillon
    course my dad is the opposite

on the starr set it so you are pushing down on it somewhat you will discover the size....lube
    cadence.
    ilike to put mine over a drawer and catch and inspect as many as i can
    just to keep up on little adjustments.

when I got my Star, the previous owner had replaced the stock handle with with a simple ball about 2" in diameter on a length of rod....works great
    Shotgun Luckey
    SASS #42629
    I'm not a top Cowboy Action Shooter, so I HAVE to look good doing it.

Boolit Master
    I got a dumb question, what is a two piece punch and what is the point of it? I get the impression its supposed to help make caliber switching easier, but how does it accomplish that?

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm guessing that you're asking about the die removal tool. It is two part....an adapter that replaces the normal boolit punch, and a threaded rod that comes up through the sizing die from the bottom and screws into the previously mentioned adapter. Once installed, you simply raise the operating handle and the sizing die is pulled out the top.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    No that's not it, that is normal equipment that comes with the press and I've used that to remove the bullet die. So nothing special about that.

This two piece bullet punch is supposed to be a punch, except it's two-piece and that helps for some reason... I keep reading about it in threads here and there but I've seen no detailed info on it.

Examples
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...27&postcount=9
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9&postcount=10

Boolit Buddy

Star Tall Boy

I have a pair of factory Star Tall Boys , one with home assembled air cylinder, but I need help posting 2 pics. Help please if you want to see pics. I think I can send as e-mail , but cannot figure out how to post direct to site.

Boolit Master

HDS: this is a pic of 2 piece punches. It is especially handy on a Star with a bullet feeder as you never have to play with that bothersome lock-nut when you change out the punch. It uses a standard base and only the punch section gets changed out. It is much easier to switch out longer, thinner, fatter, whatever punches, only take 10 seconds. Star doesn't make them, I had mine made by a local machinist. Lathesmith could make them, I'm sure. The top half is the original punch with the punch shaft cut off and a hole drilled and threaded. All 3 of my stars are so equipped.
    Last edited by Springfield; 08-08-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    HDS: this is a pic of 2 piece punches. It is especially handy on a Star with a bullet feeder as you never have to play with that bothersome lock-nut when you change out the punch. It uses a standard base and only the punch section gets changed out. It is much easier to switch out longer, thinner, fatter, whatever punches, only take 10 seconds. Star doesn't make them, I had mine made by a local machinist. Lathesmith could make them, I'm sure. The top half is the original punch with the punch shaft cut off and a hole drilled and threaded. All 3 of my stars are so equipped.
    what a GREAT system Mark....may i ask what thread size you used for the tapped hole in the base (looks like 5/16-24)....???

wyman
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

Boolit Grand Master
    Here is a picture of the die removal equipment that came with my Star.

The piece in the center is the thread adapter from 1/2"X27tpi to 1/4"X20tpi that fits into the ram where the boolit punch is normally located. Theoretically, you can make your own punch, and place 1/4"X20 tpi threads on the "pushing" end. In fact, the piece on the left that is used to push the last boolit from the sizing die is an example of that, and could be used as a punch for any boolit over .250" (although it's way too long).

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    Hope you don't mind bringing this archived post to the front.

I wanted to show a picture of a newly purchased Magma roller,or shovel, handle for the Star Sizer. I now consider this a worthy accessory.

*** Edit 9/20, re. the below, I think 454PB misquoted the tpi on the 1/4" rod. Pretty sure it's a 1/4-28***

But has anyone followed the 454PB/W. Winn comment above regarding attaching a homemade punch to the thread adapter base of the die removal tool? After viewing this thread I tried to turn a 1/4-20 die over the threads on the--stated--1/4-20 die extractor rod, but was successful. It seems to be the wrong size. If it had aligned properly, I was planning and buying some aluminum rod to thread and cut to size to see if it would hold up

Regarding the Star sizer, Magma just replaced the sizer heater that would occasionally run on tilt. I took a chance on the handle as I liked the equivalent for the Dillon. I just slipped off the standard, and slipped on the new one. I went thought the vertical motion and, no joke, it just felt natural--and easy. Immediately, you realize there's no need to clinch/tighten a grip around the handle. It fits the hand well and the rolling makes it ergonomic

In my opinion, it's constructed well
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	116910
    Last edited by chloe123; 09-20-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dang.....reviving this old thread cost me a trip out to my shop to check.....

Yes, those are 1/4" X 28 tpi threads!

Boolit Master
    Those folks that are using an air unit from Star to put even pressure on the heated lube....if your compressor comes on after the initial start-up, you are doing something very wrong. You should not need any more air and the compressor should not come on!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast