Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: black powder and 9mm auto how to?

Banned

black powder and 9mm auto how to?

Probably not real soon, but at some point i want to start using black powder for my 9mm auto. Iv seen it done with larger calibers such as 45. but how would someone get started doing this as there really isnt any data for it. obviously not having a pressure curve as with smokeless it would in tale much more caution.

anyone out there with any experience with this?

Other then the obvious question of WHY

Other then powder is hard to come by.

If you get over the black powder / messy not recommended for autos.

Banned
    powder availability and cost. yea its messy, but nothing a little cleaning wont take care of. as far as smoke goes, iv bought remanufactured ammo that made not much less smoke.

still, would like to speak with someone with some experience loading it, so i have a starting point to work up from.

Banned
    guy on youtube said he just filled the case and let the bullet pack it

Boolit Master
    it is on the internet it has to be true

Banned
    why do you think im asking around to find someone with experience? or is it too much for a guy to ask for help?

I've no practical experience with 9 mm. black powder loads to share. I'd just mark a dowel with the length of space the bullet takes up in the case & fill the case a little bit (0.10") higher than that & try it. Have fun.

Boolit Master
    I don't have experience either but this isn't dangerous in the least. Basically you want 100 percent loading density and some compression. Use a blackpowder lube to keep the fouling soft. Three f will give you more pressure and velocity (over 2f) and the better chance of functioning the pistol. The case capacity is so low that velocities will be very low, too.

When you get around to doing it, post the results.
    Rule 303

I tried BP in my 9mm rifle. Much less than impressive results. It works fine in the 45 ACP, but that 9mm is so small that it doesn't really work. Velocities were maybe 300 fps, and when I tried really compressing the powder it ended up burning like rocket propellant and made a even lower velocity tracer round. Stick to something like the 38 spl, where BP works wonderfully.

-Nobade

Birddseedd your scary. I think it is mostly because you appear to not "think" about what your talking about. I saw it on the internetz and everything on the internetz is true so how do I do this? It is all just a game to you, nothing really important.

Scary scary **** man.

You want to go blow yourself up, fine, have a good time. You want to go blow yourself up and then sue castbullets because we gave you bad advice? Naw, not from me. I am done reading your threads.

There is a reason there isn't data on 9mm BP loads and for the same reason there aren't direction on matches for checking fuel levels, because while is can in theory be done it is a bad idea on many levels.

Boolit Master
    Pretty sure Birddseedd was posting in the survivalist forums same sort of questions, plenty were things you were likely to end up in the hospital for, like grinding smokeless powders to get different burn rates. Bought a progressive press, no experience, and no load manuals. Ignored any advice given, argued everything else, finally people ignored the posts. Play the game if you like.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Birddseedd your scary. I think it is mostly because you appear to not "think" about what your talking about. I saw it on the internetz and everything on the internetz is true so how do I do this? It is all just a game to you, nothing really important.

Scary scary **** man.

You want to go blow yourself up, fine, have a good time. You want to go blow yourself up and then sue castbullets because we gave you bad advice? Naw, not from me. I am done reading your threads.
    im not sure how you expect my thoughts to be conveyed over the internet.

what bad advice are you referring to?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

Scary scary **** man.

oh. sue castebullets. didnt read that.

thats silly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I tried BP in my 9mm rifle. Much less than impressive results. It works fine in the 45 ACP, but that 9mm is so small that it doesn't really work. Velocities were maybe 300 fps, and when I tried really compressing the powder it ended up burning like rocket propellant and made a even lower velocity tracer round. Stick to something like the 38 spl, where BP works wonderfully.

-Nobade
    Hickhock45 did 45. worked but yea it was real slow. the guy that i saw that did 9mm was able to get 800 fps. but he only got it to register once. not sure if it was his angle, or the smoke, or perhaps that one was the only one fast enough. dunno.

his proccess was to fill the case, let the bullet compress when pushed in. what was your proccess when you did it?

thanks for the help

Boolit Buddy

Have loaded bp in 38 spl and 38 s&w, the 38 s& w cartridges didnot have much ump to them. The 38 spl shoot ok.No air space in the cartridge with black powder, bp needs to be compressed.

A friend tried BP in a M10 submachinegun in 45 acp. Not enough power to cycle the action in his Mac. In 9mm, I am guessing you would get the performance of the old 38 Colt short that shot a 125 grain bullet at about 700 FPS. There was a reason the first auto pistol cartridges were smokeless, one was that the small case capacity was mostly filled with smokeless powder that had more power then the volume needed with black.

Boolit Grand Master

While it can be done safely the 9mm cases capicity is such that it may only hold 10-15 grns of black powder 3 f would be better than 2 f here but I can see alot of stuck bullets and no functioning of the semi autos with out going to light wieght springs. If your bound and determined to try this leave no airspace in the case even some light compression to start, and use a lube that is meant for black powder fouling. Lybe not only is for the bullet in black powder loads but to keep fouling soft and managable. SPG is good, emmerts you can make yourself is good. I see this as an effort in futility. The big black powder rifle rounds burning much more powder were only in the 1200-1400 fps range it was the heavy bullet that did the real work. You have niether with the 9mm round. Alot of the black powder pistol lounds were really pretty anemic compared to todays loadings. 600-800 fps again with soft lead bullets.

Banned
    sounds like my gun might have issues. wonder if i can get a lighter spring for it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    If your bound and determined
    I don't understand why people always interpret my questions as "bound and determined". I thought there was no stupid questions accept the ones not asked? Bound and determined does not come until after information is gathered. i don't just blindly follow direction. if i don't understand something, I will always ask follow up questions.

I thought this forum was different. at first people seemed to eager to help. but i decide to do one thing someone says they don't do, when they cant give me any real reason why i shouldn't, and its stated that it will work, again, i don't follow people blindly. i gather information and make decisions for myself once i have enough information to do things properly and safely. if people here don't like that, then ill just use a proxy and come back with a different name when i need information i cant readily find searching.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast