Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darn, loose gas checks, no sizing die

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Pat,

I think this would be hard to beat ...........

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    There you have it guys. It would take me months and months to even come close to compiling that info.

What I'll do sometime is do a photo shoot of some of the steps I use with my Checkmaker dies. Ben has that covered in his tutorial:

Making .45 Cal. g/cs with Pat Marlin Tool
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...at-Marlin-Tool

Here's my sizing technique:

Using the Checkmaker™ 45PB Pistol Caliber Dies
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=133265

Last edited by PatMarlin; 09-05-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Banned

Of course I use my ROCKDock as a heater for lube presses, but one trick I've always used is Frankfort Arsenal Case Lube. Canbe purchased at Midway which is no more than rubbing alcohol and a little lanolin. I make up my own.

Before you size your bullets, you need a fine lube coating, just as you use when sizing your brass.

I take a zip lock baggie- spray a few squirts of the case lube in, then shake your cast bullets or your cases. 50 to 100 or so at a time. Few less is OK too. It perfectly coats them quickly for processing.

You can actually see the lube barely migrate perfectly in the case mouth of your brass and control it with the amount of lube you spray in the baggie and the length you shake.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Pat,

I think this would be hard to beat ...........

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    Excellent - I will study this. Thanks.

Ok guys, i have conceded here... Im not having any luck getting the chex to stay securely in place without the sizing die. I ordered a .430" lee push thru, ill probably lap it to .431" or so.

Funny thing about the LASC online book... After i first found this site a few years back, i learned about the 'ingot to target' book, and studied it as best i could. Lots was over my head, or seemed unintersting at the time. As i have continued using this site (mostly browsing, but occasionally starting a thread or responding), ive found that a HUGE amount of the knowledgeable info presented here is also presented in that volume

One just has to know where to find it, and that means knowing the categories and terminology involved. And that takes some apprenticeship or deep research.

One item i didnt find (feel free to show me where it is, if i missed it) was the crimping of gas checks onto boolits with undersized shanks and optimally sized driving bands. I now see that the driving bands and GC should be sized to the same diameter, regardless of whether any actual 'sizing' occurs on the boolit

My throats are measuring .432" (ish)
    The bore slugged a solid .429". That was measured across several wide points

The lee 430-310 boolits for me are dropping about .430x.432. Ends up being a firm push through the cylinder, but the mic definitely shows a smaller diameter across the seam. I dont want to size them smaller

Pat: could i expect different performance from GC made from your tools? If they have a smaller ID, and less spring, then ill pay you gladly instead of hornady!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12