Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Tell Me About The Rem.550-1 Rifle!

Boolit Master

Tell Me About The Rem.550-1 Rifle!

Hi,
    Looking at one of these in my LGS. It's in "good" condition. Seems a robust rifle. Grew up with a Rem "Targetmaster" single shot on the farm and don't know how many squirrels went into the pot with that tack driver!

Still have a soft spot for old Remingtons,wondering what you .22 experts thought of this rifle???
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Bub

.22 550-1

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Looking at one of these in my LGS. It's in "good" condition. Seems a robust rifle. Grew up with a Rem "Targetmaster" single shot on the farm and don't know how many squirrels went into the pot with that tack driver!

Still have a soft spot for old Remingtons,wondering what you .22 experts thought of this rifle???
    In my opnion it is one of the very best auto loader ever built. Have owned 3 wish I had kept all. Will outshoot any 10-22 made. Never had any trouble with any I owned. Feed any ammo that I bought. If I could find one now in good condition I would buy it immediately. My $.o5 worth

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    What's one in good condition worth? I will take it out of the stock and look at the sear spring screw keeper at the bottom of the reciever and make sure it is not cross threaded. I hear that is a problem sometimes done by owners that don't understand how it works?

I think they want around $250 for it but can usually get them down a bit? Thanks for the info!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    What's one in good condition worth? I will take it out of the stock and look at the sear spring screw keeper at the bottom of the reciever and make sure it is not cross threaded. I hear that is a problem sometimes done by owners that don't understand how it works?

I think they want around $250 for it but can usually get them down a bit? Thanks for the info!!!
    I really don't know the value of one now. They were bringing around 200 in 2000 if in good condition. It has a floating chamber for long and lr. If its clean and looks unabused I would buy it. My 31st editionlist it for 250 in 100%. I would offer a little less.

Boolit Master
    The earlier ones weren't drilled and tapped for scope but later, they put a dovetail on them. I have an early one and a later fancier version and love them both. Floating chamber allows use of all 3 .22 lengths even when they are mixed together. No jams, very accurate, can't beat it-get it!

Boolit Master
    Last edited by seagiant; 09-01-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

For gosh sake DON"T take it apart!!!! If you drop out the screw on the bottom you will need special tools and three hands to get it back together. You will probably need to really clean out the floating chamber to get it working with shorts. I usually just pull the barrell but I have the tools. They were a good old gun and I still see them in now and again.

Boolit Master
    Hi KCSO,
    Yes if you look at the links^^^^ you will see I've done a little research on that! The "floating chamber" was an invention of Carbine Williams,which is interesting!

I'm going to look at the rifle tomorrow and have them pull the stock and look at that sear spring screw at the bottom of the receiver. If it is straight and not cross threaded and the rifle functions(I'll have them test fire it for me) it should be good to go! They have two working Gunsmiths there, that are friends of mine (not that it does me any good) so I'm not really worried about problems!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Marshall_Williams

In Remembrance

This was our "farm gun" from the mid `50`s till we sold the place in the late `90`s. Wish I could put a figure on the number of bricks of various .22`s that were put thru it. It had a grooved reciever that we put a b-4 Weaver scope on till it finally got damaged and a later version 4X scope went on it. Finally in the late `80`s we put a 1" 4X scope on it till my brother took the rifle to Ga when he moved. It had a decent piece of plain walnut for a stock that we never let get dinged up and kept the stock and metal lubed and waxed. We always had a problem with the large knurled back end of the reviever loosening up with shooting. We would screw it back in tight and keep shooting. We finally found out that a tension "L" shaped piece of metal in the bottom of the action had lost a screw and fell by the wayside somehow. I keep half heartedly looking for another 550-1 to keep the memories of my younger years with my family on the old homestead alive. Problem is the last 2 of them I saw at the same gunshop back 4 years ago were refinished and had $275 marked on them both, a bit much for this old man, both rifles were gone the following week.Robert

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Jeez, I went to see the rifle today and they actually had $300 on the tag! There was no bluing left on the metal and there was a crack on the stock! I would of bought it for a fixer upper, but not at that price! I will wait and see if one shows up later!

I own one and it is one of the most reliable .22 I have ever seen. Someone said "don't take it apart" but, I must stress that in order to clean the barrel properly, you will, at least, have to remove the bolt. I do agree that a complete dis-assembly is rarely needed.
    Whoever owned mine prior to me appears to have run a cleaning rod down the muzzle end of the barrel enough to ruin the rifling at the muzzle. The accuracy is now dismal. I plan to shorten the barrel slightly and recrowning it to see if I can fix it.
    My brother-in-law had one that belonged to his Grandfather and it was super accurate. (he pawned it and, lost it.)
    And, as mentioned, they shoot shorts, longs and long rifles no sweat.

Al

Boolit Mold
    Owned one growing up in 70's, wonderful rifle. Only trouble it gave me was the floating chamber would foul badly and not move but still worked for Long Rifles anyway. Very accurate and solid. Wished I still had it...

Boolit Master
    Interesting. Never saw one. A close look at the pic seems to show a deflector over the ejection port. Is that how they come? I know a lefty that might be interested in that feature.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Yes they should come with a deflector,but are alot of times it is missing! Numrich Arms has them and the screw you need to mount it,if you need one!

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...50-1-39530.htm

Boolit Master

Nice full size 22 rilfes! I had one for years, til I tripped and fell on it. It broke into. Haven't found a replacement for it yet. Would like to get one in good condition.
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Bub
    I have a 550-1. Mine looks like the picture except for the deflector. I don't know how else it may differ. It has been around for as long as I can remember. I have a "thing" for old .22's. I believe the best ones are from the 1950's. Of, the dozen or so I own, it is the most dependable and accurate. It is dead on accurate. I believe it to be the best of the best. Just had it out yesterday, trying to convince some squirrels to leave my pears, alone. They don't get second chances to learn.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kerreckt View Post
    I have a 550-1. Mine looks like the picture except for the deflector. I don't know how else it may differ. It has been around for as long as I can remember. I have a "thing" for old .22's. I believe the best ones are from the 1950's. Of, the dozen or so I own, it is the most dependable and accurate. It is dead on accurate. I believe it to be the best of the best. Just had it out yesterday, trying to convince some squirrels to leave my pears, alone. They don't get second chances to learn.
    Hi,
    Found another one today had nice old wood but missing a lot of blueing and the deflector! They still wanted $280! Wondering if I should buy it and clean it up,just so I have one. Seems the old wood and steel .22's keep going up in price?

Boolit Master

I have 2. One my Uncle sold me when I was 9 or 10 for the whopping sum of $10.00. He would have given it to me but wanted me to feel as though I had earned it I found out when I got a little older. The other was my Dad's. I plan on giving my Uncle's to his grandson when he get's old enough for it. As stated earlier it will feed anything you throw at it. I used to be able to get shorts for 10 cents a box, I have traded many coke bottles for ammo. Good grief I feel old!

Boolit Bub
    My college room mate introduced me to small game hunting. When we made the move from shotguns to .22's, he bought a 550. I bought a 552 BDL., the 550's uptown cousin. He purchased his 550 for fifty dollars from Best Products. He was the best country shot I've ever known. Every shot that I witnessed, was a head shot. CCI .22 short h.p.'s were the preferred squirrel medicine. Good and simpler times.