Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marvil mystery oil

Boolit Buddy
    Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil, For years, Hoppies #9 has always reminded me of J W toilet paper.

F. Guffey

Boolit Master
    Might save on bathroom deodorizer too! I'm always learning new things here....

Boolit Grand Master

I have used MMO in my impact wrenches and other air motors since 1969. Does loosen carbon on the tops of engine pistons. Haven't tried it on guns yet.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the tip! I believe my next batch of ATF/5W30 gun oil will have MMO added instead of the usual 8oz bottle of Hoppes.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Plus one on that. Hoppes #9 containing Nitro-benzene was a good product, but Nitro-benzene was removed from the formula in 1982 or 1985. My supply lasted until the mid-90's.
    I stocked up on the old formula of Hoppe`s #9 when I heard of the change coming. I transferred the gallon kegs into brown glass jugs. Down to my last 2 jugs of 1/2 gal. each the old formula. Still works great.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I was shopping at Walmart with the wife and saw MMO in the auto section so I bought a bottle. About a quart for $3 or $4.

Both of my Swedish mausers had heavy deposits of carbon build up in the bore. I brushed used hopes and brushed and brushed and after about 7 or 8 sessions it still had heavy deposits in it but was getting better. Then I used MMO in it the last outing and it's now clean. The second Swede had the same problem, the first outing, with a hot bore and a soaked bore mop with MMO and the bore was clean. The carbon came out in chunks. Then after looking down the bore I could now see all the pits from the years of military ammo and wished I could put the carbon back.

I've had a Swiss k31 that had lead deposits for about 6 inches of the throat, from trying the Lee 230 blkout with titegroup. Shot a few rounds at the range and did the same thing with a hot bore and soaked bore mop of MMO and the deposits pushed out with a cotton patch.

I'm really not sure if it's the MMO or the shock to the hot bore that makes it work, but one thing is for sure MMO is cheaper than any and it works.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    +1 on Imperial Case Lube! None better!
    Seagiant, I usually agree 100% with you but my experience has been different. A friend was having trouble sizing his S&W 500 brass. I went to my favorite go-to lube, Imperial. It took a LOT of effort in my Rockchucker so I grabbed some pure lanolin and put a thin smear on a case. The effort required was probably 40% of that required with Imperial. Subsequent cases sized equally easily. I was surprised and impressed. Apparently lanolin is a better high pressure lube. Imperial is still the go-to for most jobs.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Seagiant, I usually agree 100% with you but my experience has been different. A friend was having trouble sizing his S&W 500 brass. I went to my favorite go-to lube, Imperial. It took a LOT of effort in my Rockchucker so I grabbed some pure lanolin and put a thin smear on a case. The effort required was probably 40% of that required with Imperial. Subsequent cases sized equally easily. I was surprised and impressed. Apparently lanolin is a better high pressure lube. Imperial is still the go-to for most jobs.

David
    Been using lanolin from randyrat for sizing for quite a while now. People keep talking about Imperial so I ordered some about 2 weeks ago. Got it but haven't tried it yet. From the sound of your post I should have saved my money.

Super Moderator

.............Not about guns, but since MMO was mentioned, my Grandfather had an old rag on his work bench doused with the stuff. Before he'd put a tool back in the cabinet he'd wipe it down with the rag. He'd also pour some in the gas tank of his '56 Ford pickup truck on occasion. My brother had a friend whose dad was a real desert rat. He was a retired Air Force Colonel and would spend days tootling around in the desert. He had a '55 Willys 4WD pickup truck with a camper in the bed he'd made out of 2x4's and plywood It had an injector system that apparently added Marvel Mystery Oil to the gasoline somehow or the other. IIRC I think the unit held about a pint or so.

I just searched for Marvel Mystery Oil injectors but nothing came up about that, but a lot came up about MMO

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I have used MMO in just about every engine I own. In the fuel only, never needed it in the oil. From motocross race bikes, (works wonders on a two-stroke engine), to the hottest diesel hot rods I built, farm equipment, air tools, and finally, 50/50 mix with good ole WD-40 for general penetrating oil around the house and shop! Now I have to try it for bore cleaning,for sure after this thread! Thanks guys for another suggestion on bore cleaning! As far as Hoppes #9, I guess I'll just look at my last bottle of the stuff sitting in the shelf as it is pretty much useless now.just my .02 cents.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Used it for years good stuff Iput some in my boolit lube!

Boolit Buddy
    Many years ago, I used to be a buyer for a very large auto parts warehouse distributor in Houston, Tx. Marvel Mystery Oil was one of around 100 companies I dealt with. Nice oil additive that's been around for a darn long time. Don't know if its still true, but back in the 70's, an Exxon refinery outside of Houston made the basis for Marvel.....one of few plants in U.S. that could do the kind of refining of oil needed to make Marvel.

Anyway, my version of Ed's Red has Marvel in it. Also use it in a gun lub I blend for oiling my rifles.

Boolit Grand Master
    Been using Ed's Red since reading about it on the defunct SurplusRifle.com Pretty much my go to cleaner. A gallon is a LOT of cleaner

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12