RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvil mystery oil

Marvil mystery oil

I have a Enfield that has a mint bore. When I got it, I could still see the blueing in the bore but over time shooting cast it turn silvery in color. I thought the blueing had just worn off. I had a bottle of MMO sitting on the shelf, and still not sure why I even thought to try it as a bore cleaner, hopps#9 my normal cleaner sitting beside it. Well decided to use it with the bore hot because that's were MMO works with engines. Now after about 3 sessions with it I'm seeing the original blueing in the bore again. Is anyone else using MMO?

Boolit Master

no, but i do use butchs bore shine with about 20% of kroil mixed in. imo hoppes is a pretty ineffective bore cleaner.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Go one better and mix up some "Ed's Red" I use the MMO in place of the Dexron Tranny oil and works great. One gallon last a LONG time and is the best I've ever used for shotgun bore cleaning!!!

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

+1 on the Ed's Red. I have not found anything better in the years I have been using it. Also the Ed's oil version which is just the kerosene and dextronIII mixed is the best machine oil I have used. I will try some with the MMO.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    the stuff sure smells great!
    Look twice, shoot once.

+1 on the Ed's Red.... the price is right too!

Boolit Buddy
    Only half joking with the successes I've had over the years with MMO for various uses I'm beginning to wonder if I should add some to my regular diet. It sure seems like some pretty handy stuff.

Boolit Master

might help if your plugged up !! LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Nevered tried MMO as a bore cleaner before. I have a Mosin with a dark-ish bore. I'll see if that brightens it up at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NY_Treeguy View Post
    Nevered tried MMO as a bore cleaner before. I have a Mosin with a dark-ish bore. I'll see if that brightens it up at all.
    You might be better served with a little lead in the bore, it sure does shine up a bore pretty good. I have a 8mm mauser that had a dark bore and after shooting a couple hundred rounds of lead boolits it's as shinny as a new one. Really can't say that it shoots better but it does look better. MMO so far looks like its stripping that fine layer of lead off everything I have used it in. I'm using it at full strenght on a hot bore and the lead comes out on the cotton patch.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1johnlb View Post
    You might be better served with a little lead in the bore, it sure does shine up a bore pretty good. I have a 8mm mauser that had a dark bore and after shooting a couple hundred rounds of lead boolits it's as shinny as a new one. Really can't say that it shoots better but it does look better. MMO so far looks like its stripping that fine layer of lead off everything I have used it in. I'm using it at full strenght on a hot bore and the lead comes out on the cotton patch.
    Still working on a cast load for this, but will give it a try as well. Thanks

Boolit Master

I use the Marvel Myestry Oil to lube my rifle cases with for resizing,have never stuck a case yet.I just barley wet the tips of my fore finger and thumb and smear it over the cse to be resized.Good stuff.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Buddy

I have read somewhere, can't remember where I read it though about using Marvel Mystery Oil as both a bore cleaner and for lubing cases and the writer noted in the article that his case life had decreased after starting to use the MMO. I think I will stick with Imperial case lube. I use Ed's Red and love it as well as a bore cleaner.
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog25 View Post
    I have read somewhere, can't remember where I read it though about using Marvel Mystery Oil as both a bore cleaner and for lubing cases and the writer noted in the article that his case life had decreased after starting to use the MMO. I think I will stick with Imperial case lube. I use Ed's Red and love it as well as a bore cleaner.
    Hi,
    +1 on Imperial Case Lube! None better!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Out of curiosity I did a bit of searching and found this on bobistheoilguy.com -

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
    - It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
    - Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
    - AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
    - AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
    - EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
    - EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
    - Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color

So from the perspective of our use, it's basically 70% mineral oil and 30% solvent (paint thinner). Nothing special.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well....I think MMO has always been used for its cleaning ability,MIXED with regular dino motor oil. Which is not a bad thing!

I had an old gentleman tell me one time many years ago that he used it on his knees and elbows for arthritis. He was always pretty truthful with me so I tend to believe him. Who knows, in his mind it might have worked.

Steve.........
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

I had an old gentleman tell me one time many years ago that he used it on his knees and elbows for arthritis. He was always pretty truthful with me so I tend to believe him. Who knows, in his mind it might have worked.
    I think I know him, is his name TIN MAN.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Is anyone else using MMO?
    Yes, a 50:50 mix of pure pine tar turpentine and MMO. Also the same ratio of Turpentine and ATF
    A friend in CA put me onto it and I cleaned a 74 Sharps that I had cleaning problems from day one. After brushing and patching, let a patch soak overnight and the next day the bore was clean as a whistle.

The 50:50 mix of either is a good leader remover also
    Last edited by John Boy; 09-15-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    imo hoppes is a pretty ineffective bore cleaner.
    Plus one on that. Hoppes #9 containing Nitro-benzene was a good product, but Nitro-benzene was removed from the formula in 1982 or 1985. My supply lasted until the mid-90's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast