RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Cook's portion?

Boolit Master

Cook's portion?

With the accumulated knowledge of the cooks and chefs on this board, I am confident that someone will know the answer.

I am looking for the word that describes the great little tidbits the the cook always gets. I am sure that there is a French word, and probably a Spanish word as well. I was trying to describe it to a friend at a BBQ. We always throw a little something special on the grill for the cooks. It is usually consumed while standing at the grill while cooking the other things. Is there a word for that something special?

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Moderator Emeritus

Chefs treats I call them. Like the best parts of the crispy fat on a pork butt off the smoker

Perma-Banned
    not French or Spanish & not really the answer to yer question but, after my granny cut out her biscuits she'd knead the scrap pieces of dough together & bake what she called "the cook's cake". luck & have a good'en, bubba.

Boolit Master

The "Chef's Cut"

My favorite piece of the mealThe chef's cut is the portion of the meal that is set for the head chef to taste prior to the meal being served to the guests. This ensures that the guests are being served an exquisite meal that meets and exceeds the artistic vision and palate of the chef.

On Heaven's Range

Anyone who has never carved a turkey, has also never tasted the best parts of a turkey....
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master
    I threw some bacon wrapped scallops on the grill. That was the cooks cut. Same when trimming that piece of diaphragm meat from the rib slab. That is the cooks piece. Been know to have a test steak as well.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Wife wonders sometimes why I don't eat much at the table when I grill...... I like my meat a bit more rare than the rest I also have never walked away hungry after roasting a hog, dang now I'm hungry!

Boolit Master
    When I do fish fry meals for 4-30 people I always laugh when the folks running food from the fryer outside to the dining table inside ask me, "Is there enough for you?" Little do they know that I have my own little 8x8 pan lined with paper towels that the best looking pieces drain on and never make it to the dining table...
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Master

The closest word I have found so far is "lagniappe". ​Loosely it is Cajun for "something extra".

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Moderator Emeritus

A friend refers to this as a test drive. He cuts meat and will warm the shop with a wood stove, throw some game meat on it when we are cutting and see how the flavors are. You can decide right there how much to grind.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quality control. If it's not good enough for me it's not good enough for my guests.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just had the piece of meat from the diaphragm portion of a rack of ribs. The other one will be mine as well.
    That would be that small piece that runs diagonally on a whole rack of ribs. One was pretty good sized.
    The one I just had was much smaller.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

That piece of the rib cooked fajita style is some really good eating. Have to slice across the grain or it is chewy grilled.

Banned

that would be a nice crispy piece of skin!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Anyone who has never carved a turkey, has also never tasted the best parts of a turkey....

Moderator Emeritus

The turkey tail renders down into almost bacon...

Boolit Buddy
    Man, I've been doing it wrong! If something gets burnt or not so perfect I'll eat that so no one else has to eat my mistake. But y'all probably past the making mistakes phase like I'm in!

Perm-Banned
    la partie des cuisiniers, or you could say, cuisiniers partie. the part of cooks or cooks part.

Boolit Master

As the cook, you choose whatever portion you want. Cook's portion--that reserved for the cook, usually by the cook, for their consumption. Steak, ribs, roast, backstrap?--whatever, that's how it's done around here. BTW, I'm the cook!! That's why you have a spatula/knife/spoon in your hand!!!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.