Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: emulating self defense ammo

emulating self defense ammo

I have recently changed my carry from a j frame to a m&p 9mm. Now I need to get me some hollowpoints for it. While perusing the internet I keep reading how a lot of people recommend shooting at least 100 rounds of the selected ammo first to ensure it functions, is accurate.... etc. I don't have that kind of money. I am considering buying a pack of xtp j words and just loading them to approximately the same velocity and calling that good enough. What are you guys thoughts on that? I will be using factory loaded ammo for carry. I honestly have just shot a few to check function and called it good in the past.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

At approximately $1 or more per shot, practicing to any extent with factory defense loads is unaffordable. I buy xtp j-words and load my own for practice. It is a lot more affordable.
    Matching or exceeding the velocity of factory ammunition is easy enough.
    I can see where shooting a lot of them to break in a pistol is useful but cast can do the same thing. I get similar impact points with similar weighted projectiles so impact point isn't a problem for me.

Boolit Master

I think reliable function when both clean and dirty is more important than what goes down the barrel breaking in and proving reliability of a carry gun. I agree with shooting cast to keep costs down, but definitely load it somewhere equal to the ammo you will be carrying. 100 rounds is a good place to start, but I like atleast 500 rounds without a stoppage. The big thing is to shoot as much though it so you feel confident it will go bang when you need it to.

Boolit Master
    IMHO you definitely want to run a few mags of your chosen self-defense load through the gun to insure that it functions reliably with same. It could truly be terminal to discover that your gun chokes on your SD ammo during a gunfight...

Practice with reloads by all means; just insure that the gun will run with the ammo you bought!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I carry what I shoot all the time. So right now in the 1911 that would be a 200gn lee over 6gn of unique and in the 32 mag 4gn of unique under a 125gn NOE HP

Boolit Grand Master

I carry factory ammo in my everyday guns, I run at least a 20 round box of "defense" loads thru it to ensure functioning and POI when changing ammo/gun and I shoot up my old carry ammo when I replace it with fresh. As far as reliability with a new gun 300 consecutive troublefree rounds of defense ammo equivalent is my personal standard. It's a regimen that I carried over from my LE days, passed on by my mentor. Confidence in your weapon and ammo are paramount and there's no substitute for knowing that the round will go bang and impact where you want it to. The cost of a box of carry ammo isn't a big deal when you consider the big picture.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I have a hard time accepting that I would have to shoot more than 6 or so rounds of ammo in a self defense scenario. I have owned a m&p compact in the past, and while it was a great gun, and was accurate (when I practiced with it), I did not practice with it enough,compared to my 1911. Well... my gun ownership roller coaster brought me finally to Mecca... for me at least, with the wonderful beretta design I hated so much when qualifying. Long story short... my 1911 had some isssues... traded that puppy in for a s&w 637... no regrets, great gun... my M&P just felt.... lacking.... sara, sara..... the gun traded continues..... I am getting used to the M&P again... but one thing I will say... it is a very reliable platform, even though I am trying to relearn how to shoot it accurately.
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

A bullet hole is a bullet hole. Trust me. I know.

Boolit Bub
    Whatever you choose to do don't just load it up and call it good. Make sure to shoot a few rounds and see how your handgun handles it.

Boolit Master
    that is what i did bought a 500 box of golden saber 124 gr. loaded them and got them shooting good and that is what i carry in my hi-power.

Boolit Master
    I will interject here and please take it for what it is worth. I have 3 friends/customers that are now retired cops. they all have been involved in shootings.... with that little 9 MM pistol. everyone of the shooting victims, shot in the face/head.................. survived. now you understand why they hold more ammo then any other semi-auto pistol. shoot what you like.... but if you do not kill with the first 3 shots............ you are in some deep dooo-dooo.

Find a reasonable flat point design that will feed 100% through your pistol and stay with it. Shoot it lots and you will be better seerved than with any "Self Defense," whizbang projectiles ofr factory ammo and also be hundreds of dollars ahead.

When I change carry loads I buy two boxes one to test and the second to carry. But I also don't roll my own for carry loads. I can see it being too easy for an over zealous prosecutor to call them "kill loads" or some other BS like that.

The best thing I have heard and do myself is to talk to the local police in your area and see what they are carrying and if it functions well in your gun and shot POA-POI go with it. In my case in my 9mm I carry hornady 9mm 147 grain xtp. And federal hydra shok in my .32 and in my .357.

If the DA wants to ask why I use that ammo (God forbid I ever have to use it) it is because that is what the local PD has tested and decided has the best effect with the least risk to by standards and I wanted to stop the threat without endangering any innocent people that might be near by.

If they want to cause trouble, they will find something no matter what you carry. My opinion is the bigger entrance hole the better. The 9mm entrance hole will only leak so fast, no matter how much it tears up inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    If they want to cause trouble, they will find something no matter what you carry. My opinion is the bigger entrance hole the better. The 9mm entrance hole will only leak so fast, no matter how much it tears up inside.
    True but why help them by allowing them an edge. If they want to say the round I used was designed to cause excessive damage then the local PD needs to change their ammo too and since many times the DA wouldn't want to embarrass the police that aren't on trial, It's just one way to CYA.

I do fully agree that big holes bleed more but sadly can't always carry my .45 or .357 and keep it concealed as required by Texas law, so sometimes I opt for something smaller and easier to hide such as a Glock 10 or Walther PP. Now in the winter time it is a .45 or .357 but in the SE Texas summer which usually last about 9 months at a time, my 1911 doesn't cover well in jeans a tee shirt and a polo not even on my 6'2" 210# frame. Modern 9mm ammo isn't the same as 9mm bullets were 20 years ago or even 10 years ago. Times change and designs improve. While a .45 caliber with the same design is often a better choice sometimes we just have to use what we got.

Now using reloads that simulate POA-POI of your carry loads would be a good way to practice without breaking the bank. But I will keep my carry loads as the same factory off the shelf loads that are common for law enforcement in my area.

I can hide a 1911 fairly easy. I've never had to conceal a gun before though.

This is what I have been shooting in my 1911

Those are swagged from 40smith

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    I have recently changed my carry from a j frame to a m&p 9mm. Now I need to get me some hollowpoints for it. While perusing the internet I keep reading how a lot of people recommend shooting at least 100 rounds of the selected ammo first to ensure it functions, is accurate.... etc. I don't have that kind of money.
    I think you're confusing running the several hundred rounds of practice ammo necessary thru any firearm to assure break-in & reliable functioning with the several magazines of zero failure testing of a chosen self-defense round. Since the self-defense pistol ammo is sold in half-boxes, you should be able to afford two boxes of practice on a thoroughly broken-in firearm and a third for the "job." Don't forget to run the old "job" ammo thru every 6 months or so & get some fresh loads in the mags.

Boolit Grand Master
    Before I take a pistol out to the range, I cycle the action a minimum of 300 times. Then I shoot 200-300 rounds of good reloads, usually cast these days. If the gun has gone through the practice sessions without stuttering, then I'll spring for a couple boxes of quality defensive ammo. If the gun digests five mags without trouble, I'll load up and call it good!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I went ahead and bought some xtp j words, did some ladders, and settled in 5.8 grains of unique, lyman max load. I'm not too worried about lawyers, hopefully never use them in self defense

Banned
    What was wrong with the J-frame S&W ????

OK, now that I have that out of my system;
    1. Break the gun in first. minimum of 200 rounds of something, even something cheap. It would be nice if that cartridge shot to the some point of aim as your intended carry load.
    2. Decide what you want as a carry load and make damn certain that cartridge functions in your gun.
    3. Carry what you know will work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast