MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Voere rifle 458 Winchester Magnum

Voere rifle 458 Winchester Magnum

I found a wonderful Voere rifle made ​​in Austria in caliber 458 Winchester Magnum.
    I do not know that twist rifling and he wanted to use it with cast bullets, i saw that load with 500, 550 grains weight.
    I found a particular mold but not sure if the weight is excessive.
    With these pills you may also enjoys long range?
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/458-675-BT-NE...item1e8ff18b20
    Of course I could pour more bullets!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	114387
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

Boolit Master

For what it is worth in regards to your question about rifling. I have a Austrian Voere rifle factory chambered in 308 Norma Mag. Surprisingly the twist rate is 1-12. Why they chose 1-12 instead of 1-10 that 99.999% of every other 30 caliber rifle is puzzling.

The Voere rifle although light weight has been a disappointment for me. The sight hood didn't survive the first shot. Despite free- floating the barrel. It creeps high/right as it heats up. The shotgun type tang safety was nearly impossible to move when cold so I replaced the entire trigger assembly with a Timney trigger with side safety. On the upside. With 180+ gr slugs, my preference being 200. It will instantly drop an Elk.

As a side note. The Austrian Voere is NOT the same as the German Voere that made the original Weatherbys.

Boolit Master

No idea what the factory twist rate is on those, but *generally* speaking, those VLD-type bullets require faster twists than typical factory twist rates.

Boolit Master
    I kinda thought that Sauer made the Weatherbys, there were 2 Voeres, Voere of Kufstein Austria, and Voere of Voerenglad or some such in Germany, I always felt that the German outfit made better guns, and they and some of their models were swept up by Mauser, esp. the nice model 201 rimfire.

Those VLD shaped cast boolits almost always shoot very poorly. Too much unsupported nose and not enough bearing surface. I would not buy that.

-Nobade

Banned
    I have 5 or 6 Kleinguenthers & they had Voere actions. 2 are 375s & one 416. They all like the larger bullets. 270-300 in 375 & 350-400 in 416. Most big bores are made to shoot the large bullets & all my 45s & I have several shoot the 500s best. Some do shoot the 400s well also. I the older I get the more I like that 25% reduction in recoil with the 400s.

I just got the NOE 405 & made up some bullets but havn't shot them yet. Have molds in 450 & 500, both shoot well in 458WM, 458lott, 450 Watts, & 458 double rifle.

I also have Barnes 600gr which I think shoot good but my headache & double vision kept me from being sure.

lol so big usually works.

Boolit Master

wait, what? I was looking at that auction for a long time. Did YOU buy that mold?

We need to talk. I'd like to send you some money (I don't want the mold)

I did not buy anything, I happened to see on Ebay but is no longer available.
    I believe that it is possible by contacting the manufacturer.
    I found this rifle used and before buying it I tried a bit 'of news on charging.

Boolit Master

Ah, too bad. I'd love a few of those boolits but had no desire to pay $200 for a mold just to cast a few then sell again.

Boolit Master
    Hornady used to or still does make some 500 grain bullets for the 458 win. I fired exactly one shot in a pre '64 win model 70 chambered in that caliber. That was not fun in my estimation. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I kinda thought that Sauer made the Weatherbys, there were 2 Voeres, Voere of Kufstein Austria, and Voere of Voerenglad or some such in Germany, I always felt that the German outfit made better guns, and they and some of their models were swept up by Mauser, esp. the nice model 201 rimfire.
    I was told by a Weatherby rep about the two different Voere manufactures. The manufactures are different but the families are related but he wasn't sure how close. According to the Weatherby rep. The German manufactured rifles are superior in quality to the Austrian made. From what I've heard from different people, internet chatter and other unreliable sources. Voere Austria has struggled to stay in business after investing heavy into trying to develop case-less ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    Hornady used to or still does make some 500 grain bullets for the 458 win. I fired exactly one shot in a pre '64 win model 70 chambered in that caliber. That was not fun in my estimation. Frank
    Frank I did exactly one better!! Fired only two shots of 500 gr factory jacketed ammo. Shot them in a Stevens Model 200 I converted to 458 with a Shaw barrel kit. The next day the barreled action was on its way to Shaw for a muzzle brake and iron sights. My shoulder barely survived but the cheapie Chinese scope didn't.

I still have 12 rds of the original 500 gr factory ammo left. I've turned the rifle into a large bore lead slinger. Shooting home cast 350 and 405 gr slugs using 45/70 loading data. It is a pleasure to shoot

This is the rifle that i found, model 2165
    http://www.granitearms.com/Voere-Model-2165.htm