Thread: Got a new one

Boolit Bub

Got a new one

Well cleared out a spot in the safe and got one,,,,,,,,,,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3994.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	113778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4000.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	113779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3987.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	113780

Whatcha' think?

It's a 12 over 30/06 Baikal MP94. Very nice and she shoots! It comes with screw in chokes and chrome lined bores. I had an old TC Eltra Dot 4x Rail Mount that fit the grooves nicely.

Now I have to work up some loads for my RCBS 165 SIL mold that has been waiting for a use for about 15 years. Also gonna try some round ball loads after I drill out the flash holes on a few cases.

nice piece though, I think it's Turkish Walnut, cut checkering, good fit and finish. I will be a nice woods roaming gun. The scope may come off for the woods though.

Thanks for looking

Neat gun!

Darn Combo guns are so addictive - I'd be happy to find another Savage 24 I could afford
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Darn Combo guns are so addictive - I'd be happy to find another Savage 24 I could afford
    They are alot of fun.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4001.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	114278

Took it out for some round balls today after drill the flash holes on a few cases. Loaded them at the range with the Whack a' Mole tool. The group is from me and my son, we took turns loading and shooting the little buggars. It is a nice load, not that creative, but real nice. And the sight is still at the 100 yard setting! This was shot at 25 yards.

Boolit Master

I love mine. I have one in 12/223 and it's my crow gun. Built like a tank and a tack driver too. Adjustable sights, adjustable Barrel, great wood...I can't ask for more.

Boolit Bub
    Janoosh,

They are going fast, they are no longer imported due to the Ukraine problems and all. 30-06 are the only ones left. I really like em!
    Due you use the 12 gauge on crows? I patterned the full choke the other day and it was pretty tight at 25 yards. Gotta try it out further, wondering if you have.

Boolit Master

Yes, I use the 12 ga on crows. Kinda hard with the scope on but I learned to shoot both eyes open. I've shot slugs through mine and they pattern nice at 50 yds except they are high left about 4-6" from center. The rifle shoots so well at 100 with my handloads that I wont play with any adjustments. 223/50/ 25 grns of BLC -2 If I remember correctly.
    I have a BSA Cats eye 1.5-5 on mine. To test the scope, I shoot 1 shotshell then 1 rifle and it worked well. I used this gun to test the reloaded steel 223 cases with jaxketed. They worked fine and I got 7 loadings out of them before a neck split. I'm going to try boolits next.
    I wish they made interchangeable barrels for them...20/223....20/30-30...12/45-70......IDEAL..!!

Boolit Bub
    Huh very interesting gun, great for the woods.

Boolit Master
    trail troll, I ordered one of these in 12/30-06; it should be here next week--while I'm waiting I've been thinking about loading up some boolit loads and wondering--what is the twist rate in your '06?

Boolit Bub
    It is a one in ten if I remember, .300/.3085 by my calipers.

Trying some 4064 with an rcbs 165 sil boolit now. Got some promising groups but not there yet. Round balls are a hoot!

The deflection in the rifle barrel from end to end was unnerving at first but it shoots where you point it well.

She was on at 100 with condom factory stuff and then on at 50 (a little high maybe) with slugs in the smooth bore. And that is with the sights as they left Russia. I really like the iron sights on them. Crisp and sharp for me anyway. Triggers are hunting weight, rifle one is a little heavy but for a woods gun its good.

I think you'll like it, keep me posted.

Boolit Master

nice looking gun i got two old savages in 22/410 22/20ga like them a lot those Russian guns a built to last
    my SXS is built like a tank
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Nice groups and cool gun. Either way, you pull the trigger and you'll know it when it goes off....

I always wanted one of those heavy suckers. The12 gauge works great for when you jump a deer walking to the stand. The 30/06 works great for longer range shots.

The Lyman 314299 cast with #2 will work very good if you size bullet .0002-.0005 smaller than free bore....I would try .310 sizer and .311 sizers to see what works best. Lee sizing kits work good, but does not come in .310...you will have to open their .309 larger using 600-800grit paper. Despite what you read, the Alox works very good. I size and seat gas check dry, then next I hand dip bullets in thinned alox. Let bullets dry overnight on wax paper resting on their bases.

The bands on the RCBS sil may be a little too small. Mine measure .3095-.310 using linotype and smaller .309 using #2 alloy

Boolit Master
    tt-
    picked up mine today and per the pamphlet that came with it it is a 1in10 twist--

It's very stiff but it should loosen up a bit after shooting it a box or two of shotgun ammo--
    I like the way it shoulders it fits me good.

I only had 50 yds for safety reasons today but the iron sights are good for windage and 150gn Hornady interlocks hit about 1.5" low at 50 from a bag rest. Low recoil slugs hit dead on at 50 too; 6's hit the ground in front of the stump I was using for a target stand.

Only problem besides the stiff action is that the "pin, replaceable" that sits in the regulator immediately in front of the band that holds the rear sight, between the barrels, came loose after 4 30-06 and 4 slugs, and 4 shot loads. I noticed it being loose when removing the forend after those 12 rounds. It was tight when I took the barrels/forend out of the plastic wrap but I didn't pay close attention at that time.

I didn't shoot it any more and will be calling the number on the front of the pamphlet monday.

I had the pin apart but couldn't see how to remove it from the regulator but the last shot I fired was a slug that hit the center of the target so I'm not too worried..

Is this pin loose on your gun?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by CHeatermk3 View Post
    tt-
    picked up mine today and per the pamphlet that came with it it is a 1in10 twist--

It's very stiff but it should loosen up a bit after shooting it a box or two of shotgun ammo--
    I like the way it shoulders it fits me good.

I only had 50 yds for safety reasons today but the iron sights are good for windage and 150gn Hornady interlocks hit about 1.5" low at 50 from a bag rest. Low recoil slugs hit dead on at 50 too; 6's hit the ground in front of the stump I was using for a target stand.

Only problem besides the stiff action is that the "pin, replaceable" that sits in the regulator immediately in front of the band that holds the rear sight, between the barrels, came loose after 4 30-06 and 4 slugs, and 4 shot loads. I noticed it being loose when removing the forend after those 12 rounds. It was tight when I took the barrels/forend out of the plastic wrap but I didn't pay close attention at that time.

I didn't shoot it any more and will be calling the number on the front of the pamphlet monday.

I had the pin apart but couldn't see how to remove it from the regulator but the last shot I fired was a slug that hit the center of the target so I'm not too worried..

Is this pin loose on your gun?
    Mine is loose enough to rotate but I didn't take it apart.

I ddn't give it much thought and have shot it a bit, maybe 60 or 80 cast loads. Let me know what they say regarding it.