RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR scope needed

Boolit Master

AR scope needed

i have a A2 upper with scope on top works but its just too high to get a good cheek weld on the stock so i was looking at this http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?f...ategory_id=326 but what would be a good optic
    for this just punching paper at 100/200 yards
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Those are made to co witness red dots with the factory irons. You could mount a long eye relief "scout" style scope, but do you want to look through the rear aperture and have the front sight in the scope?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

i have never looked through a red dot is there magnification with them at all or would i just be better off replacing my front post
    to a fiber optic one if they make one my eyes just as good as they were

LD13: I own two scopes for my Rock River Arms AR For a reflex sight I have a Trijicon Tri Power. For a standard scope an AccuPoint Trijicon. Either of these work very well on an AR. Very fast target acquisition GP

Red dots work good for fast shooting, not so much with accurate target shooting. Most dots are 2MOA or 4. Of course budget is everything, for precision I like mil/ mil with FFP reticle. For fast and precise, illuminated 1-4(or x5 or x6)with mil/mil works great. I'm not a fan of BDC reticles, as a reloader I'll spend more time trying to load to the reticle, chasing 5.56 ballistics in once fired brass worries me a bit. My current "do all" scope is a Burriss XTR II 1-5. Fine enough to shoot for groups, not too busy to shoot to 500yds+ and quick enough to stay on target at short range.

http://burrisoptics.com/xtr1x5x.html

Boolit Master
    it sounds like your rings are too high. I have an M-223 4x16x44 nikon on mine. no iron sights. it is setup for shooting little itty bitty targets, real far away. If you have the solid m-16 style stock on it, look at a strap on cheek piece kit.

Boolit Grand Master

The carry handle upper really limits your options. Yes they make magnified red dots, but I doubt you will be happy. The real solution for you is to swap out for a flat top upper.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    OOOOOOOOOPS, Is an A2 upper have the carry handle? My bad. I have a RRA flat top.

I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    OOOOOOOOOPS, Is an A2 upper have the carry handle? My bad. I have a RRA flat top.

Then it gets easy. Add a RRA Hi Rise mount (designed to be at the same height as the sights on an A2) and your choice of scope. Or keep the scope you have. It's what I have on my target rifle. Works very well. Note A2 on the left, A3 (flat top) on the right.

imashooter2: Looks like you swiped my RRA A3 LOL, well almost my Trijicon AccuPoint wears one piece ring set by Wilson Combat, easy on easy off, holds zero very well. Love those Rock River Arms ARs mine is Very accurate and never misses a beat if you don't load it down enough to cause a short stroke. GP

Boolit Grand Master

That one is a DPMS A3 upper on a DPMS forged lower with a JP Fire Control Package and plain Jane A2 stock. With the truck axle barrel and a stock full of #9 shot, it weighs just a touch less than 2 standard A2 rifles. It does OK.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The carry handle upper really limits your options. Yes they make magnified red dots, but I doubt you will be happy. The real solution for you is to swap out for a flat top upper.
    i think your right i love the look of the A-2 carry Handel but i need a scoped rifle. looks like a new winter project in the making
    may have to pick up a stripped lower so i have a place to put my spar parts. just a Vicious circle LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Don't want to spoil your fun if you want to build another lower receiver. But the AR is designed so that you can easily use one lower with two different uppers. Just install whichever upper you want to shoot on the lower. What you need to buy is a flat top upper with a good barrel and mount a scope on it.

If you have some money left over, get a Geissele SSA-E (Enhanced) trigger for your shared lower. You can enjoy one great trigger with two (or more) rifles.

Boolit Master

good point i need to shot this one more i will leave scope on it for now just for load development. and see how well this barrel shoots
    then see how i can shoot with iron sights.

Boolit Bub
    I tried several A2 scope mounts without any luck whatsoever. Asides from the sky high cheek weld the carry handle itself had enough flex to make good results impossible. My advice is get a flat top receiver if you ever want to use a scope, otherwise iron sights, nice though they are, are the limit.

Boolit Grand Master

The cantilever base is an excellent idea. I got one for my M16A2 in '04 prior to deployment to Iraq. I put a milspec EoTech on it. Mounted forward over the handguard the EoTech is co axial with the issue sights. I zeroed the issue sights at 300 meters and then adjusted the dot to sit on top of the front post with good sight alignment of the issue sights. That gave the dot a 250 meter zero which is what I preferred. I used it all during train up and had the opportunity to do considerable comparison with other sights being used. I found the EoTech with its 1 moa dot to be extremely accurate. $0 hits out of 40 on the 300 meter qualification was all too easy. I also found it vey quick to use in CQB, quicker than any other sight as I just looked over the top of the rear sight, put the dot on the target and pulled the trigger. With that longer sight radius there was no parallax and the dot was true 1 moa. Accuracy at 300 meters was excellent. I got the EoTech that took AA batteries and never had a problem with battery life. Now that they make lithium AA batteries it is even better.

They kept telling me as 1SG I could have an M4 as it would be "easier to carry". I told them I'd keep the M16A2 as the "carrying" wasn't what was important to me.....then I'd tell them I'd take an M14 though and that really got me the "deer in the headlight look"...........on returning from Iraq I kept the EoTech and mount and it is on my own modified AR/M16A1. Wouldn't trade it for the world, especially since my eyes have gone south with age also. Picture shows it on the top AR, obviously.

Suggest you look into that for your 'A2.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 115268

Boolit Grand Master

BTW; The milspec EoTech is compatible with NVGs. With a PVS/14 it made a pretty nice night vision sight.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Larry you have some nice looking rifles those Eotech are nice just out of my price range

Boolit Master
    You could get yourself a riser for your stock so you can get a better cheek weld. They make all sorts of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast