Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Testing the 30XCB

Boolit Grand Master
    Deer tell me that bullet is to die for....
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

It's not fair you guys get to use rifles. Shotgun slugs only for us. What they don't realize is some of the slugs are more powerful than a lot of rifles used for deer. Heck I would like to just be able to use a lever action 44 mag.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    It's not fair you guys get to use rifles. Shotgun slugs only for us. What they don't realize is some of the slugs are more powerful than a lot of rifles used for deer. Heck I would like to just be able to use a lever action 44 mag.
    More powerful yes but far far less rang capability.

Banned

Warning, more thread drift. I'm signing on through the hospital internet here in Grand Junction, CO. where we've been on a death vigil for my FIL since Saturday. Mind is not in this game right now, but I did check this thread a couple days ago and after Bjorn's "$64,000 question" all I could think of was LUBE, check the LUBE. Cyclic purge flyers due to lube and inconsistent Consistency Of Residuals Encountered (CORE principle) tend to occur very 3-6 shots if related to oil or wax accumulation. Could be what's happening. Hard fouling just makes things go downhill steadily until bore is cleaned. AhHEM, cough cough (alox) cough cough....

Most of you know what I think of Alox. My opinion is based on results, I'd like to like it, but I've consistently found accuracy problems with it at higher velocities and pressures, it just doesn't do the job needed. Alox is basically a cocktail of distillation sludge that contains a lot of calcium stearate soaps, probably some magnesium soap, and possibly some other metal salts. Calcium stearate has the annoying habit of leaving a very hard, cumulative glaze in a bore when the heat, pressure, and speed get high. It's easy to clean out, but plays hoc with CORE at HV. I've experimented with several calcium soap chassis and marine greases and found the same sort of issues, in fact some worse due to the oils.

I'll repeat, mainly for Bjorn or the poster above who mentioned 85W140 gear oil, that I have had nothing but poor luck with multi-grade, napthenic oils. Napthenic oils and most of the synthetics I've tried are simply too slippery, too wet, and don't shoot well. One of my accuracy "breakthroughs" was realizing that straight-chain, unbranched paraffin oils are a good way to soften waxes to 'bullet lube consistency' without making them slippery or unpredictable in the bore. Don't ask me how it works, I just know it does. Vaseline is a combination of microcrystalline wax and paraffin oils, and has been softening bullet lube quietly and effectively since the birth of smokeless powder, we should all take the hint...except... today's Vaseline sucks. Bruce381 may just have the solution to that, I'll get back with him on a product that might solve the issues with the SL-60whatever series.

If you want a good lube for accuracy, I'm going to say make Felix lube, original version, without carnauba wax, is probably the most reliably accurate lubes I've used for HV rifle. Starmetal lube is another, but it's unobtanium and tough to duplicate. I would use Felix lube exclusively if one formula would work "best" for rifle AND the low-velocity pistol work I do (needs softening with Vaseline for that) and if a single formula would also work across my required temperature range. FWFL does not accumulate in the bore past the first 10-20 shots, does not require cleaning out, ever, does not fail in extreme heat or long shooting strings, and is pretty good about not throwing first-shot flyers from a "cold" or normalized barrel. Note that FWFL contains a very minimal amount of lubricating liquid, do not exceed that because more is not better. Use only USP, white, laxative-grade mineral oil and castor.

I encourage others to test lubes, particularly the commercial ones, and decide for themselves, but for now, if you want a shortcut during load development, go with what works so you can focus on other things. A good lube is transparent to accuracy in proper function, yet clearly visible in failure if you know what to look for. Scattergun groups aren't usually caused by lube unless the lube is severely "wet" or too slick in the bore, so lube failure is one of the last places I look for accuracy.

I'll be back to the XCB when I can, but that will likely be a few weeks yet.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Gear, sorry to hear about the FIL. That is something I haven't been thru but know it is coming, probably far sooner than I want. Will keep you and Mrs Gnasher in my thoughts.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

Prays to you and yours Gear.
    Thanks for the "hint" on the lube.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Gear, thanks for the post. Keep your eye on the ball (family), we'll all be here when you get back.
    Bertha is on her way to Arkansas for a re-barrel so we will have time to plan the next attack.
    Be safe,
    Bjorn

Banned

Bjorn, if you want I'll be more than glad to send you some Felix lube when we get back to Texas in a week or so. Thanks everyone for your well wishes, our small but tight family got a lot smaller yesterday afternoon so things are tough at the moment.

I'm encouraged by Detox's NOE XCB testing at HV, he's getting the same groups I was with the 190X and buffer with linotype and no buffer. Imagine how well he'd be doing with a few tricks like blank brass and maybe some strategic duplexing.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Gear,
    I'm very sorry for your loss. We'll talk when you get back.
    Bjorn

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry for your loss Gear. Take care of the family, shooting and testing can wait til later.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear about your loss. Give the family a strong shoulder in a tough time.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

God be with you and yours Ian.

Pete

Boolit Grand Master

So sorry to hear of your family loss Ian. Our prayers are with you and your loved ones.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Banned

Gear, may God be with you. The wife is going to need a strong shoulder in this time of loss.

Boolit Master
    OK that wasn't really thread drift; sometimes life just takes a cr@ppy turn and we deal with it as best as we can.

To bring a little update on the XCB front: Yesterday Goodsteel received both my rifle from Florida AND the new Shilen barrel. By the end of the day it was threaded, chambered and headspaced. Tim doesn't waste any time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barrel1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	120683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barrel13.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	120684

The project is moving forward.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjornb View Post
    Tim doesn't waste any time.

The man has skills. I wish I could have seen his face when I offered to let him borrow my cordless drill to ream some "Clearance" into a chamber!!

Boolit Grand Master

My crowning achievement. LOL!
    Attachment 120805

Boolit Grand Master
    Why that crown style? Why not an 82 degree or a simple flat?

Not criticizing, just wondering.

Boolit Grand Master

The design of the crown is irrelevant as long as it is perfectly square to the bore.
    In this case, I copied the original style that came on the rifle. I may have replaced the barrel, but I'll try not to desecrate the look any more than I must.

Banned

Nothing at all wrong with that style. It gives a little amount of protection and it looks good.

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast