Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Testing the 30XCB

Boolit Master
    The one I got my hands on was Valvoline 85-140, I hope a multi-grade is ok. Otherwise no big deal to get something else.

I think R5R is right about the LLA, I have recently exsperienced this with a K31. It puts 4 in a hole and the 5th is a flyer, almost everytime.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140809_123522.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	120378

Name:	IMG_20140711_182158.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	120379
    These were just tumble lubed. Then I began to TL and hand dip and found a hugh difference in the 24 hr cure time, over a week cure time. The 24 hr cured lla left a great lube star on the muzzle and no lead in the bore but had a increase of group size twice the size of the fully cured [dried] lla. The 7 day cured lla had a decrease of group size by half the size of the 24hr cured lla but left tin wash in the bore. Now I am shooting a harder boolit, 2-3 pts ww to 1 pt monotype, which for me has proved to be neccessary, maybe because of the lla.

LLA is very slick when not cured completely as I'm sure you all know. If you make a lube that is very slick with thick oil. It seems to me that when put under the pressures of the powder and centrifical forces of the rifling your just undoing you hardness by overcoming the leads ability to keep its form in the rifling and increasing the boolits ability to rip through the rifling, This is one of the reasons for the 30xcb, I thought, for increase material in the groove to add strenght to the projectile while under these forces for HV.

Banned

actually they will be making a sodium stearated grease out of the gear oil at high heat.
    then the grease will be combined with a wax[es] using a bit lower heat to make a homogenized lube.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    actually they will be making a sodium stearated grease out of the gear oil at high heat.
    then the grease will be combined with a wax[es] using a bit lower heat to make a homogenized lube.
    Are you talking about what happens when I make the Satan Lube, or are you describing a commercial process?
    I'm a little slow on this subject.

Banned

the sl-68 lube.
    it's an off shoot of the lube quest thread.
    68 is the series number of lube tests we got to, [kinda like wd-40]
    never mind the .1.2.3 offshoots.

I don't know of a commercial lube that is made with heat as high as the 60 series lubes are.
    to make the soap [and other stearate type] lubes you have to have heat in the 400-450-f range, to get everything broke down and put back together as a whole complete thing.

the satan lube [also known as 6-6-6 lube] has slightly different directions you need to follow.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the sl-68 lube.
    it's an off shoot of the lube quest thread.
    68 is the series number of lube tests we got to, [kinda like wd-40]
    never mind the .1.2.3 offshoots.

I don't know of a commercial lube that is made with heat as high as the 60 series lubes are.
    to make the soap [and other stearate type] lubes you have to have heat in the 400-450-f range, to get everything broke down and put back together as a whole complete thing.

the satan lube [also known as 6-6-6 lube] has slightly different directions you need to follow.
    OK I'm getting my lubes straight here. I'm getting SATAN lube from Tim, along with TAC-1 and Felix lube. The one I am making is Gear's SL-68, as he described it over on Starmetal's forum. The Satan lube is a batch made by 357Maximum, and the Felix lube comes from the original source.

Thanks for pointing out the temperature issue, I didn't see that emphasized in the recipe.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjornb View Post
    OK I'm getting my lubes straight here. I'm getting SATAN lube from Tim, along with TAC-1 and Felix lube. The one I am making is Gear's SL-68, as he described it over on Starmetal's forum. The Satan lube is a batch made by 357Maximum, and the Felix lube comes from the original source.

Thanks for pointing out the temperature issue, I didn't see that emphasized in the recipe.
    We got a couple pounds of Lotak headed your way today.
    Remember Lotak works good when you turn up the pressure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    We got a couple pounds of Lotak headed your way today.
    Remember Lotak works good when you turn up the pressure.
    Thanks Dan! That's excellent.
    I will now have about a 3 week break to prepare for further tests.
    BERTHA UPDATE: A new Shilen barrel was located today,in stock at the factory, has been ordered and is on its way to Goodsteel. The original plan was to wait for a Brux barrel (about 3 months, not bad).
    However, I spend a good portion of my time working on the shooting end of this project (and I absolutely love it), and with Tim finding a bulge in the barrel; that was just a variable that was unacceptable. I have no idea what the barrel damage does to accuracy, and if all my shooting is for naught.

So here was an opportunity to get the rifle shooting much sooner, and she's now all packed up and ready to go out tomorrow. Wish her luck.

Boolit Grand Master
    A couple pounds of lube? That will lube a whole bunch of shooting.

Will be interested to see if the new barrel responds differently to some of the loads you have fired already.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    A couple pounds of lube? That will lube a whole bunch of shooting.

Will be interested to see if the new barrel responds differently to some of the loads you have fired already.
    Yep, very interesting. Gonna have to re-shoot a bunch of loads (oh my, what a punishment! not.)

This gives me time to load up some ammo for the guide gun and prepare for some Arkansas deer hunting with Tim and Glen. Got a box of RD bullets in the mail from Tim today (from your old mould I believe). Got them GC'd and lubed, loading them tomorrow. Good times.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm using my Dads 06 with the 190x bullet for deer. Figure on using up some of my RE19 stock, should be good for that.

That 350 RD is a good bullet. I have the NOE version with regular lube grooves. Shot a deer with each and with the 425 RD too. What load are you running? Would be good with 24 gr of 2400.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I'm testing it with 3 powders: 2400, IMR4198 and RL7. They should all do OK, just another excuse to get some range time.

Name:	IMG_2500.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	120405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	120406

Boolit Master
    Warning , warning thread drift, losing interest.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Warning , warning thread drift, losing interest.

Tim
    You are correct sir. I'll sign off this thread until I have my 30XCB rifle back in shooting order. Others with XCB rifles please continue to post.
    Bjorn

Boolit Grand Master
    Tim, we need time away to play. My accuracy testing is being put on hold for what could possibly be my fathers last deer season. That trumps all at this point.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Tim, we need time away to play. My accuracy testing is being put on hold for what could possibly be my fathers last deer season. That trumps all at this point.
    Its not that I am not interested. Yes, enjoy your time with your Dad, I am jealous, mine has passed. Just put it all in a different thread please. I will read that one too. You don't have to put it in a different thread, it is really ok, I just sent that post as a tap on the shoulder in case you did not see what you were doing.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

This gives me time to load up some ammo for the guide gun and prepare for some Arkansas deer hunting with Tim and Glen.
    Good times there. Tim is in zone 8, I'm in zone 3. Both have the same dates for modern gun, Nov. 8 - Dec. 7. And Dec, 26-28. Get a taste of that and you'll be moving here. Once modern gun season opens I'll be using the Ruger 45 Colt this year on winelover's (a member here) property. Been a nice 6 pointer wandering around there that I hope John doesn't get first. Pretty doubtful I'll get a 50 yard shot there so . . . Anyway, welcome to the Ozark's, little doubt you'll have a great time.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned

I know one forum I will not be joining. Wow! Some people are sure full of themselves on that Beyond 556 forum.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Good times there. Tim is in zone 8, I'm in zone 3. Both have the same dates for modern gun, Nov. 8 - Dec. 7. And Dec, 26-28. Get a taste of that and you'll be moving here. Once modern gun season opens I'll be using the Ruger 45 Colt this year on winelover's (a member here) property. Been a nice 6 pointer wandering around there that I hope John doesn't get first. Pretty doubtful I'll get a 50 yard shot there so . . . Anyway, welcome to the Ozark's, little doubt you'll have a great time.

Rick
    There is a nice six pointer wandering about. However, there is a even nicer 8 point that I have my sights on.

Attachment 120414

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I'm testing it with 3 powders: 2400, IMR4198 and RL7. They should all do OK, just another excuse to get some range time.

Name:	IMG_2500.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	120405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	120406
    Yeah, I think I'm going to roll with Brad's RD 350 also. I just love that boolit. The GC makes it so that it will take anything the 45-70 will dish out, and it fits the 1895 Marlin like a glove.
    I cast them up out of 95/2.5/2.5 air cooled.
    Cant wait to see how an Arkansas deer responds to such overwhelming persuasion.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast