Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Reloading 20 gauge slugs

Reloading 20 gauge slugs

I'm 14 and don't have a steady income of cash, so I'd like to keep costs as low as possible. I want to reload slugs for my fully rifled mossberg 500c. I've reloaded handguns and rifles before but never shotshell. What equipment will I need? The press I'm looking at is the lee load all 2. What powder will I need? I know I'll need 209 primers. What kind of sabots/wads do I get? And what caliber bullet goes inside the sabot? And I am going to get a roll crimp too. I will be using these slugs to shoot and hunt deer and coyotes.

In Remembrance

cheapest would be round ball in a wadcup. if thats in line w what you are thinking, ill post a few links - lots of info in this forum on that concept.
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/vid...tructional.asp
    Its been close to ten years I emailed and called these folks they emailed me reloading recipes and sold me everything I needed, there glade to help you over the phone. you can reload shotgun with out a expensive press. Watch the video on roll crimping. they have kits with hulls and everything to go in them.
    Here is another link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4IBv0Bg9U
    I've always wanted one of these kits I think there is a video on YouTube http://lanesreloading.com/index.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK037aQN6qc
    Last edited by Randy C; 08-31-2014 at 08:20 PM.

If you need more help or have questions PM me Ill be of work after tomorrow, I have 2 weeks off. I have 5 shotgun presses and will gladly give you a call if needed. Its nice to see the younger generation taking up reloading.
    I'm a member here. I do a lot of shotgun reloading. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php
    Last edited by Randy C; 09-01-2014 at 10:50 PM.

In Remembrance

are you going to cast your own projectiles?
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    are you going to cast your own projectiles?
    I would like to but at first I will be buying projectiles. Can I use 44 cal bullets in a 20 gauge sabot?

In Remembrance

it depends. First thing is t slug your bore so we know what the actual diameter is.

just take any soft lead ball, around .63" in diameter (*) and oil your bore. then push the lead ball down and use wooden dowels to pound it through till it drops onto a towel or rag at the muzzle.

Then take micrometers and measure the slug at lands and grooves.

then we can talk about slug and wad fit.

(*) you can use larger, but it will be a harder task to pound through.

I own a gun store in Canada where we sell a lot of reloading/casting gear, particularly for shotguns. If you're absolutely sure the only thing you want to reload is slugs you may want to check out MEC's 600 Slugger. The Lee is definitely the cheaper of the two by far, but as someone who sells both I can tell you the MEC's build quality is vastly superior (virtually everything is metal whereas the Lee Load-All II is probably 95% plastic). The 600 Slugger also includes a built in roll-crimping station which is something the Lee does not have. If you don't want to have to fool around with drills and crimp bits the Slugger will save you a lot of time. Just a thought.

Starting out you will be fine with the Lee LoadAll it comes with all of the shot and powder bushings you will need. My Dad bought one of the first Lee Load All's in the mid to late 1970's it has loaded 1,000's of rounds. Wait until you feel a true need for a more durable loader. The bushings of the other loaders cost $4 to $5.50 each. If you ever come across a Pacific 266 these are IMO the best single stage loader ever built, however they are usually very pricey. A scale would be a good addition to your initial setup.

When I was 16 my Dad let me buy a Ruger Super Blackhawk, at the time I wanted the recently introduced Redhawk but did not have enough money for one. I bought a LEE 44 cal mold, Lee 44 mag hand loader, and a friend's Dad gave me his empties to reload. I purchased a Lyman pot and ladle a few years earlier to cast for my black powder revolvers and rifles.
    After a few years I upgraded to a press and dies. Just take your time, follow published data, and be careful.

Boolit Master

cheapest is casting your own 58 cal round balls and putting them into a shotcup. equal weight payload, cut the crimp then dump the shot and press in the roundball.

Accuracy isn't ideal, but you can hit a deer within 50 yards with minimal effort (trying 2-3 shells), and the price sure is right. bout $10 or less per 25 round box.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Accuracy isn't ideal, but you can hit a deer within 50 yards with minimal effort (trying 2-3 shells), and the price sure is right. bout $10 or less per 25 round box.
    I don't think I would consider having to shoot 2 or 3 times at a deer 50 yards away "accurate". If I only wanted to shoot 50 yards I would use my crossbow. I want out to 125 yards. And won't a round ball damage the rifling in my slug barrel?

Boolit Master

My apologies, I was not clear. you make them by buying commercial loaded 20 gauge shells, cutting the top off, dumping out the shot (payload that weighs the same as a round ball), then sticking a roundball in the shotcup that is the same diameter. 58 cal in my experience.

The first random commercial shell you try might not be accurate. Maybe 5-6" at 25 yards. So you might have to try a different brand. Then another. To find one that groups like a rifle, not a shotgun. You may be able to find something that will do 6+" at 100 yards.

I was not suggesting that you would have to take multiple shots at an animal.

In Remembrance

Thats why i recmmended slugging the bore.
    We can then work on the correct fit for a slug or ball in a wadcup.