WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Household metal for FreeChex?

Boolit Master

I use Amerimax flashing, .014 for 30 caliber, soda can for PB checks, and either .0078 or lithograph plate (from the newspaper) for thicker PB checks or 22 caliber checks. Recently, I started annealing the flashing material which works very well. I cut flashing into strips using a Harbor Freight paper cutter. The strips are dipped into molten lead for 5 seconds which makes them very soft. I can grasp 10 strips at a time and dip them at once as aluminum transfers heat quite efficiently. The softer material punches nicely and seats on the boolits snuggly without spring back. I need to do some bench work to see the difference in my groups. I haven't annealed the soda can or lithograph plate but I'm sure it will be fun to tinker with.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    Cheaper to buy hornady checks than to buy copper coil? Please explain the maths....
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Boolit Buddy
    I use brass shim stock you can get any thickness you want
    At travers tool it is about 20$ for a 6" x 100" roll
    terry

Boolit Master

I've got at least 10 LGSs within 10 miles and only one ever has any checks and she has to special order them! You don't know how lucky you are!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by yonky View Post
    Cheaper to buy hornady checks than to buy copper coil? Please explain the maths....
    Maybe my math ain't what it ought to be, but here's how I figured it, and I may have some of the facts wrong.
    I'll have to guess that if I need 1/2" wide coil It will take 1/2"X1/2" of copper to make one check.
    Your quote for coil to make .30 cal checks is as follows, (cut&paste from your reply)
    Jim we have .012" x1/2" x25'coils they are $25 Plus shipping.regards ian
    If it does take 1/2X1/2 for a check you would get 600 checks from a 25 foot coil.(24X25=600) That would be $.04166666666 Per check plus shipping.
    Midsouth Shooters sells 1000 hornady checks for $29.65 that is $.02965 per check plus shipping.
    If I'm figuring something wrong let me know.
    Jim

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    Quote Originally Posted by spokeshave View Post
    Maybe my math ain't what it ought to be, but here's how I figured it, and I may have some of the facts wrong.
    I'll have to guess that if I need 1/2" wide coil It will take 1/2"X1/2" of copper to make one check.
    Your quote for coil to make .30 cal checks is as follows, (cut&paste from your reply)
    If it does take 1/2X1/2 for a check you would get 600 checks from a 25 foot coil.(24X25=600) That would be $.04166666666 Per check plus shipping.
    Midsouth Shooters sells 1000 hornady checks for $29.65 that is $.02965 per check plus shipping.
    If I'm figuring something wrong let me know.
    Jim
    jim, the coils are $10 each plus shipping ( not sure how much that would be) but if assuming it is $6 I estimate you would get 700-720 checks from the coil which would equal .0222 per check. I do apologise for mid quoting you. Also I would offer longer coils at a better rate than above.

regards ian (coil&foil supplies)
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Tag. I need to measure my strips and see if 1/2" will work in my checkmaker die. I had never considered annealing anything but I do know Ace hardware flashing is quite hard to pop out a check. Its actually made me wonder how long the die would last. So Yonky these rolls you soeak of are aluminum?

Banned
    Yonky sells both

Well I came across some florescent tube light fittings in the skip at work. It uses a curved section that comes out about 8 inches wide when flattened out and five feet long with about twenty or so deflector / diffuser plates. Thickness is .017". The metal can easily be cut with scissors and even accounting for the unusable parts of the main reflector, due to folds and holes punched in, I reckon I will get roughly a thousand gas checks per fitting. As an added bonus on side of the aluminium is mirror anodised so they come out really shiny!
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Aluminum SPAM cans make nice checks for my Freechex IIs. Cut off the rims and cut out the bottom. Then "iron" out the corrigated areas and wrinkles using a smooth faced hammer head with an anvil or smooth steel plate for backing. measures .013-.014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12