RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: For all you .410 RB Shooters - Item of note

Boolit Mold

For all you .410 RB Shooters - Item of note

http://www.dansammo.com/images/inv/AS41001.htm

http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp
    Bottom of the page....

Have not tried these yet myself, got some on order.

Those "Look" like brass shells, wonder if they really are brass or are brass washed steel. Still good price, thanks for the info!

When somebody receives their order, could you post good pics of the base and the crimp of that case please???? Wonder what sort of primer ? And is it boxer or the more likely berd primer? But the crimp looks interesting.... I have crimped my brass shells for the 410, and they done look like that when crimped. Looks like there is a double crimp of some sort..... Sure could use some better pics please... They wont ship here or I would buy some.

subscribed...

AG

Boolit Buddy

In Remembrance

i want one just for the collector value. cool find!
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

In Remembrance

wonder if this is over saami spec psi for a normal 410 bore...
    cant seem to find any info on it.
    the 303brit is 49kpsi, which is way over max for a 410!
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Buddy
    I actually am reading a book that talks about these shells. They where designed by the British to equip Indian (India) police/military troops which a reamed out smoothbore 303 Enfield. So as to be unable to 303 ammunition. They are brass cases and are berdan primed. In a little bit I will go and get the book and post any additional information I find.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I ordered some from Midway and will report on round dissection and chronograph, etc.

In Remembrance

cool! if you decide you want to sell a paper bundle, or trade, let me know.
    C-

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    cool! if you decide you want to sell a paper bundle, or trade, let me know.
    C-
    More info on this load:

.410 inch Indian Musket Ball, Blank & Buckshot

The memory of the Indian Mutiny lingered long in the minds of the British and so they ensured that the large native militia and police units were always armed with weapons inferior to those of the Indian and British armies yet were effective enough to do their job.

For many years these units had been armed with smooth bore versions of British weapons and this continued with the introduction of the .410 Indian Musket in the 1920s. These were SMLE rifles smooth bored to .410 inch calibre and converted to single shot./

.410 inch Ball Mark I

"Cartridge S.A. Ball Breech Loading Smooth Bore .410 inch Cordite Mark I" was approved to design KF360 for service in Indian
    Army Lists of Changes Paragraph A.445 dated February 1929.

The case consisted of a straight sided un-necked .303 inch cartridge.

The bullet was a round ball of .409 inch diameter made of an alloy of 95% lead and 5% antimony. It was held by the mouth of the case being turned over the ball projectile and a single cannelure below the ball.

The propellant was about 14.5 grains of chopped Cordite size 1/.05. There was a thin glazeboard disc below the bullet and a similar one immediately above the propellant. The space between these discs was filled with two felt wads separated by a millboard wad between them.

Muzzle velocity was about 1,700 fps.

.410 inch Blank Mark I

"Cartridge S.A. Blank Breech Loading Smooth Bore .410 inch L Mark IT" was approved to design KF534 for service in Indian Army Lists of Changes Paragraph A.1042 dated June 1930.

The case consisted of a straight sided un-necked .303 inch cartridge, closed with a rosette crimp.

The propellant was 15 grains of G.20 black powder or any other approved powder. Above this was a wad of sheep's wool and above this was a felt or jute wad covered by a paper disc.

.410 inch Buckshot Mark I

"Cartridge S.A. Buckshot Breech Loading Smooth Bore .410 inch Mark I" was approved to design KF516 for service in Indian Army Lists of Changes Paragraph A.1042 dated June 1930.

The case consisted of a straight sided un-necked .303 inch cartridge, closed with the mouth folded over the shot.

The shot consisted of eighteen buckshot with one glazeboard disc above and a millboard disc below.

The propellant was 17.5 grains of Cordite size 1, above which was a glazeboard disc and felt wad.

Page from Kirkee Ammunition Manual dated January 1945.

Boolit Mold
    If anybody orders these and would sell just 1 or 2 for my cartridge collection, let me know!

shot a few of these last week in my enfield,was shooting at 25 yards, groups of three, most groups all touching, did have a couple of flyers, recoil mild,primers did not show any flattening, am going to see if I can convert a few over to the 209 primer.

TC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

the 410 surplus shells with the single ball are highly corrosive, be sure to clean well.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)