RepackboxLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Navy Arms Company imported Uberti Revolvers

Boolit Buddy

Navy Arms Company imported Uberti Revolvers

I have found a 5 1/2" barreled revolver that is in about 95% condition. Fired very little...maybe a dozen times. It is stamped, "Navy Arms Co. Ridgefield, NJ Made in Italy" on top of the barrel with "S.A. Cal. 45 LC" on the side, and "A. Uberti--Italy" on the bottom of the barrel. On the frame it is stamped, "Pat. Sept. 19, 1871 July 2, 72 Jan. 19, 75" It has the bullseye button on the ejector rod. There are no stamps on the wooden grips.

What can ya'll tell me about this revolver?
    Which model is this gun?
    What is the reputation of this revolver?
    What years did Navy Arms Co. important Uberti replicas?
    In this condition, what would it be worth?

Thanks
    Last edited by Southern Shooter; 08-31-2014 at 02:44 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't help with the "Navy Arms via Uberti" part of your question, but my two Uberti SAA repros--one about 20 years old, the other less than 2 years old--were/are both excellent.

In Jan. 2013 I paid $430/NIB out-the-door for that more recent example.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 08-31-2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Clarity of text
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    I recently purchased the same revolver, but in 32-20. Although Navy Arms no longer imports the Uberti revolvers they still come in through Taylor's, Cimarron, and perhaps a couple of others. They are good, solid guns. As for sale value, since they don't have COLT on the side they are a lot less expensive to buy but don't have a great deal of resale value except as shooters. Check the auction sites like Gun Broker to get an idea of what they actually go for.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I have one in nickel plate, but I had to replace the guts in it, as they wore out. you could probably still get three and a half to four and a half for it.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    it's supposed to be the black powder frame version of the standard Colt Single Action Army produced somewhere between 73 and 98. the bullseye ejector puts it made before 1886, I think
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I was looking at one with interest a few months back and put an inquiry on another site about them. Basically what I got back in replies was that the insides seemed to be on the soft side (I would probably compare to the "softness" of the old ASM revolvers). A LGS had a used on that came in and I think they were asking a bourn $350 for it - it was in 44 Mag or Special - don't remember now. If I remember correctly, the firing pin was the traditional "hammer spur" and someone mentioned that there were sometimes problems with the spur hole wearing and as a result, depending on how stout your loads were, you could get some primer flow. Again . . . this is all "second hand" information so take it with a grain of salt.

I opted to "pass" on the one I found. I waited and ended up buying a new Uberty "Bisley" in 357. Yes, it was more expensive but it is a beautiful hand gun. Over the years, not only Uberti but other makers were sometimes "hit or miss". If you aren't going to put a steady diet of ammo through it - i.e. thousands of rounds - then look it over and if it looks good and the price is good - it probably would be fine.

I ended up wanting a Bisley - I have a New Vaquero so wanted to try the Bisley grip frame. I love it. If I was going to buy another SA though - it would be a new Uberti. The Cattleman series offers a good variety and what I consider a fair price. The "Hombre" is a very nice looking SA with a brass trigger guard and grip frame and is a very affordable revolver.

I guess it's like anything else - depends on the age of it and what the quality control was like at the time. Ubertis now seem to be very high quality - my Bisley is as well as my "51 Navy. I've owned a lot of different brands of "51 Navies and it didn't make any difference who made them, they could have problems - all depending on when they were made and QC. Check out the prices of the new ones - my LGS sold me my Bisley and much less than the MSRP - and if the price on the one you're looking at is decent - go with your gut feeling on it. If it's got a little wear on it then someone must have enjoyed shooting it. Good luck!

Boolit Master

I purchased two of the Navy Arms Uberti pistols in 32-20 a number of years back. Navy Arms imported the pistols and replaced the springs with Wolf springs. Both are excellent shooters, accurate and reliable.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."