Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crickett accuracy?

Boolit Bub
    The cricket I got for my daughter is a tack driver in my hands. I think I like shooting it more then she does. Mine was fine and accurate right out of the box.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the
    recommendations for accurate ammo. My granddaughter was born yesterday and her first rifle at age three will probably be a crickett.

Love Life
    Eley sport and Remington match shoot very well from two different cricket rifles...

Boolit Master

Try Wolf .22 ammo,black box,if you can find it! Some of the most accurate ammo I have ever used,and I've tried pretty much all of the different brands!
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

I shot my daughters yesterday. CCI standard velocity was the best at .401". Mini mags and federal american eagle were in the .5 to .6 range. The golden bullets were around .722". All shot at 25 yards with a cheap 4x barska that in a previous life was used as a hammer.

One thing to note is the was rather hard to close the bolt on. The ae was the easiest.

I will take pics latter and post.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

As promised:

Jerry Jr.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cricket targets.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	115503
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Grand Master

My grandson has a Stevens Crackshot single shot here waiting for him to grow into it, he will be 3 in novemeber. Its a nice little rifle for smaller kids also. Not in the chipmunks price range but If its tken care of should appreciate some in his lifetime also. I have tested it and it groups very good at 50 yds with decent ammo. May hang a mid range tang sight and 17 a lyman globe front on it to give it the same looks as grandpas Sharps. Around here these are known by the term "butcher rifle: as most were used for that purpose. I havent found the 22 for little Avery but hes only 4 weeks old now so I have time/

Boolit Master
    Check the barrel channel. My Savage was putting bullets every where but the bullseye till I noticed a indentation in the outside of the synthetic stock and saw that there was a matching lump in the barrel channel.
    I loosened the screw and slipped a piece of sand paper around the barrel working it back and forth till the lump was gone. The rifle is now a tack driver.

Cleaning the bore throughly has been mentioned. Some short barrel rifles collect vaporized lead near the muzzle. If the bullet is too soft and the pressure curve not suited to a short barrel the muzzle blast can vaporize lead from the bullet base. This works against accuracy in several ways.
    I prefer CCI ammo in a short barreled .22, they are better suited to short barrels. The Viper works especially well.

Boolit Master

My daughter started with a Chipmunk - it's still here and still shoots. It's successor, the Crickett's are made cheaper, (plastic cocking piece !) and triggers are grittier as bought.
    That said IMHO the little Savages are the best starter .22 single shot for wee people out there. Safer, better trigger, still have an aperture sight(on one I've got, it's called a Cub, I think). But, hey, they can hit a squirrel in the head at 25 yards with any of 'em ! And man, do they like the exploding targets - just keep moving 'em back farther !

Boolit Mold
    Hi everyone. I am new on here as of today after i read some of your posts. I see that some of you are finding out how the cricketts shoot as time goes by and just wanted you to know that if you are having problems with the accuracy of these rifles or any other problems for that matter keystone will take care of them.We have the best warranty in the business and if you have any questions you can always ask me and i will be happy to help out.

Boolit Grand Master

Two weeks ago I took my Grandaughters with their Crickets for their first shoot. I was impressed with the ease both girls found and perforated the 10 ring. Both are begging me to return for more.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

My wife has one in pink that the girls like. Our accuracy is about what you mention above around 1" groups @ 25 yards. I have some 8" gongs I hang out at 50 yards and new shooters really like those. They don't seem to have much problem hitting them. The rifle I like for training young shooters is a Mossberg 801 plinkster. I don't think they made too many of them. I was their bolt action 802 plinkster cut down for youth shooters. I put Tech Sights on mine(I had to mill the top of the receiver). It is very accurate. It has one big advantage. It comes as a single shot. They do this with an insert. After the shooter progresses one can remove the single shot adapter and replace it with a 10 round mag. My grandkids love this rifle!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Strarted my granddaughters with one.They were good enough to compete with kids their age on the .22 silhouette range with iron sights.I cleaned up the barrel channel and it shot pretty good with the Federal Auto Match.I think the Keystone was the better manufacture with nice walnut and nicely polished and blued.

Boolit Mold
    I dont know if you guys out there are aware of it or not but we have started putting feed ramps in 95% of the crickett and chipmunk rifles now as well as a free scope mount with every rifle and pistol. They all still carry the lifetime guarantee that they always did if they are made here in milton PA. As randy stated we do have some beautifull walnut that is amish grown and cut 15 minutes from the plant and we kiln dry it and make our own stocks out of it.

Banned

love my older crickett, she's a tack driver out to 50 yards. wish there was a way to add a feed ramp to it - hard to feed the chamber with adult sized fingers. i can attest to the purty walnut stocks, too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03212.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	223305

Boolit Mold
    rfd. What you have there is an adult walnut model KSA300. There is a way to install the feed ramps in the older rifles. Only downside is they need to come to the factory to have it machined in and there is a charge for that. For what you pay for them they really shoot well.

Howdy. can the feed ramp be installed in the Chipmunk pistols ? I love my pistol but since I installed a scope it is a pain to load. What models currently do not have a feed ramp ? Lastly what is the charge to have a feed ramp installed ? Thanks much.

Boolit Mold
    Single Shot. It depends on where your chipmunk was manufactured and how old it is.Currently the only models we are producing without the feed ramp are any of the magnums and a few that are sold to academy sports and walmart. If you can give me some information on your pistol i can let you know for sure if it can be done or not. We require that shipping be paid both ways and there is a 30.00 charge for parts and labor. Quick note: an easy to remember way to know if one of our rifles has the feed ramp or not is to check the SKU#== for example a KSA238 does not have the feed ramp. a KSA#2238 does have the feed ramp and also comes with a scope mount eye and ear protection a lock and installed swivel studs.(3) numbers --no ramp (4) numbers with ramp

Boolit Master
    repair tech I have a Chipmunk that the kids have outgrown. You mentioned that rfd had an adult stock on his Cricket. Do you offer an adult size stock we can order for this older Chipmunk?
    Thanks

Banned

Went and got myself a Henry Mini Bolt
    Pest control
    Short LOP no problem for me and dead-nuts accurate
    Recommended

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast