Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kittens on the spare; cats behind the turbo

Kittens on the spare; cats behind the turbo

Before you all flame me, I am asking how to get these varmints out from engine compartment and off spare tire of our pickup trucks. The alternative is to employ cast bullets to thin them down.

My wife and I dearly love cats but these little critters have learned to get up into the engine compartment to keep warm in the winter and to escape the tender mercies of our hound (cat hunting Bluetick). It can take an hour to get the cats out so we can drive to town. Don't have the heart to just drive down the road.

Help! There has to be some means to make the F350 and Ram 1500 undesirable to the furry little b--easties.

Boolit Master

My fil used to have us thump on the hood of our car before we started it up for the trip home. He also had a curtained wooden box on the porch with a heat lamp set up to give them an alternative.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Honk the horn and pop the hood. Use a live trap to move them on.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Honking the horn will work not sure about spare tire though. We had that issue off and on and blowing the horn seemed to work. It can be a real mess when one jumps down into a running fan and fan belt. Engine compartment could be screened off maybe. but would make oil changes and maitenence a real pain. Same with spare tire could be screened off but what a pain if you have a flat.

In Remembrance
    The cast boolit idea is sounding better and better. Very glad my wife is allergic to cats. lol

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I leave the hoods up to keep pack rats out. No idea if it work for cats.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

So your trucks have 'Cat' powerplants?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    So your trucks have 'Cat' powerplants?
    Yeah! They are real screamers!

Boolit Master
    As another cat lover, I must commend you for your concern, DC. Unfortunately, I don't have an easy answer for you. The idea of providing an alternative location sounds like a good idea. BTW, we once had a cat that we named DC. Just the initials.

Boolit Master

Worked on cars and trucks for a bit, removed a few.
    One lady went so long that it was just skin and bones left, we told what was causing the belt squeal
    and she remembers a cat was missing for about a month.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Spray some citrus spray about your vehicle. Cats hate it.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

If your F350 is a 7.3L all you should have to do is start it up. I can't imagine anything wanting to stay around it when it is running (at least that is how mine is). If that fails I would take them for a ride. But then I am not much of a cat person.

Sounds like these are not your cats. Since lead poisoning seems to be out I would catch them and relocate them in some way that lets you sleep at night. No cats, No problem.

Maybe put some coyote or mountain lion pee on or around your truck? I am sure that there are some scents that would keep pests I mean cats away.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master

And use moth balls in the engine well with the citrus spray
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I second the moth balls i know they work on squirrels i used it after they cost me a $1000 in a rewiring job on my tundra

MR O
    Remember sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees

mothballs does work, the fumes will cause their eyes to burn. just put them in a container and set in a corner under the hood.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    The judicious use of dog proof trap baited with cat food should work wonders and should reduce your raccoon population to.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Citrus spray and mothballs are up for a try. The cats are nominally ours and have heated cat houses and play boxes on the porch a few feet from the trucks. The hound and eagles snags a cat from time to time but reproduction seems to keep up with the inventory shrink. The engine fan is pretty hard on them though.

Boolit Grand Master

Drive your truck as normal and the problem will sort itself out. Feral cats are annoying, not stupid.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

If you have an air hose, especially with a long wand, shoot a of blast of air under your car.
    Cats and dogs both HATE an air hose. It wont take more than a couple times and they will learn.

Banned

About three years ago, one of our cats who was just a big, fat, loveable lump, but had been an outside kitten and still had a fascination for it, got outside and crawled into the engine compartment of the wife's mini van. She started it and drove to work and it killed him, but he had always been a very quiet cat and she apparently didn't hear him over the engine and radio. I was away when it happened, and she noticed him missing pretty soon and mounted a search, we didn't realize until a day or two later when there was a small puddle under the car that didn't look like engine oil. We loved that little guy dearly and my wife absolutely came unglued blaming herself over it. It seems to be a pretty common occurrence. We ended up selling the van shortly thereafter, had planned on keeping it a couple more years, but neither one of us could stand to drive it after that (sounds silly, I know). The old saying, "Curiosity killed the cat" is so true. The one we have left has been inside since before he was weaned and is afraid of the outside, which is fine with us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast