Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Smelting lead ????

Smelting lead ????

I"ve been smelting lead flashing, 4 pots total about 65#. first two pots were mostly pipe flashing and had what looked like a silver ring around where the pipe to roof pieces were put together. Second 2 pots were all just flat flashing. first 2 pots the ingots came out silver in color, second 2 came out with a dark color rainbow to say. What is the difference if any? Is there some tin in one or was there possibly just a temp difference causing the color difference. All my coww and range scrap always come out silvery.

Boolit Man

I think it was just a heat issue, got too hot as you progressed in your smelting session. Best to use a thermometer and keep heat just above melting temps as you proceed...keep a smelting...tx.

Moderator Emeritus

The colors come from getting the lead hotter.
    But you could certainly have some tin in those first 2 batches, since those 'silver' rings didn't have the same patina color of the rest of the lead flashing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I think my temp was pretty uniform,I was casting nearby and watching while casting. Right after the lead flashing I smelted about 125# of coww with all the same silvery color that I normally get. I'm thinking I've got some small amouts of tin in the first two pots which kept it silvery, and the purplish rainbow is closer to 100%. Just scratching my head, because this is my first flashing melt. It's hard to push coww down a CVA muzzle gun. Accurate, but a pita to load.

In Remembrance

Yesterday I finally got around to sorting out the funky weights/trash from the pile of pails I have amassed since last year, my guess is 700+ lbs sitting in 5 gal. pails. I`ll do the smelting process when colder weather arrives.Robert

Ship it to me, I'll smelt it for you. then let you know how it shoots.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Rainbow colors are normal for pure lead! Forget about it!

Those "silver rings" were solder where the pipes were joined together. Adding even a small amount of Sn to your melt will make it shiny and nice. But it will quickly oxidize at normal smelting temps. That is why you need to flux/reduce 3x. You other batch was pure Pb with probably ZERO Sn and was technicolor.

Both are perfectly fine.

Your COWW's have ~0.5% Sn normally.

bangerjim

Banned
    What are you using for your CVA.

My brother bought one not to long ago and I want to start casting bullets for him. Do you use sabots with your bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by 1johnlb View Post
    I think my temp was pretty uniform,I was casting nearby and watching while casting. Right after the lead flashing I smelted about 125# of coww with all the same silvery color that I normally get. I'm thinking I've got some small amouts of tin in the first two pots which kept it silvery, and the purplish rainbow is closer to 100%. Just scratching my head, because this is my first flashing melt. It's hard to push coww down a CVA muzzle gun. Accurate, but a pita to load.

Lee's black powder REAL mold 90394/no sabots for me

Clip on wheel weight= way to hard/but accurate

100% lead is what surposed to be used