Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Franken-Ruger

Boolit Buddy

Franken-Ruger

I have been a handgun hunter for over 10 years now. One thing that I always wanted was the ability to rest my revolver without changing the point of impact. If you take your factory revolver and rest the barrel, frame, or whatever differently than how you zeroed it the point of impact will be different most of the time.
    Well one day brain storming and a lot of sketch work later along with a touch of R&D I came up with the Franken-Ruger.
    The Franken-Ruger started life as a factory GP-100. The barrel was removed and a new 10” barrel was fitted along with an aluminum free float shroud. Yes that’s right, a free float shroud on a revolver. Not like a Dan Wesson where the barrel is strung tight through a shroud and connected to both ends. Truly free floating.
    A half inch of the rear of the shroud is connected to the barrel and the rest has about 1/16” of clearance. We also fitted a Mac’s Gunworks muzzle brake.
    The barrel chosen was a Green Mountian 357 pistol caliber barrel with a 1/20 twist. I have never used one of their blanks and thought it was worth a try.
    And of course trigger work, cylinder timing, throats, and so on were worked.
    A factory GP-100 with 6” barrel weighs in at 2.8 pounds. The Franken-Ruger is just 3 pounds with a 10” barrel, shroud, scope mount, and brake!
    During initial testing grouping at 50 yards was right around an inch with factory Remington Golden Saber 135 grain 357 magnum loads. The gun has shot to the same point of impact off bags, free hand, and shooting sticks. I had just a handful of 158 and 160 grain lead bullets and they were showing great promise and I just got more in so more to come on the groupings and how this Green Mountian barrel does!
    All grouping has been done firing all 6 chambers. We are not picking just one!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0065_zps36493dc0.jpg 
Views:	796 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	114875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0068_zps78768d3a.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	114876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0070_zps1eeebcda.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	114877

Boolit Master
    Nice work looks like a tac driver!

Boolit Master

I like the way you did the shroud

Wish I still had a GP 100 to try your idea on

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Looks like a good "Bench Revolver" !!

I`d like 1 to have in a treestand ,then I could rest it on the rails !!

I`d like ya to comment on the muzzle brake, does it make the revolver louder ??? they sure do on a rifle !!
    1 more question, did ya use the shroud on the same threads on the barrel to set the cyl. gap & use the shroud as a lock ??

GP
    Last edited by GP100man; 08-29-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelun wat aels
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy

Once the patent is awarded (almost there) I'll tell you how it's attached.

Muzzle break. Yup it's louder. But it cuts recoil and flip a lot.

The gun is not muzzle heavy. You could shoot it off hand. Or the barrel can be made shorter.

Awesome and creative idea!!
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Buddy
    Not what I expected when reading the title.

Well done.

Boolit Buddy

Obviously it doesn't spark an internist with a traditional wheel gunner. But someone looking to expand the capabilities of the wheel gun should be interested.

Banner Sponsor

I like it! The GP-100 is a great revolver. My 4" is my favorite 357.

Banned

I see nothing there. Does not matter where a revolver barrel is rested, it comes off a rest so fast it means nothing. It is the grip area that counts but the more I shoot from bags, the less I see and all my guns are now sighted from bags and hit the same off hand.
    Any POI change was found to be ME and how I held off hand.
    Yes, I had problems for a while, even sighted for hunting from Creedmore until I seen the truth.
    Free floating a revolver barrel is no solution for a problem that does not exist.

Boolit Buddy

44man. It's defiantly something that changes groupings. Barrels that touch anything change harmonics.
    Harmonics changing change the point of impact. A barrel acts like a tuning fork. Changing the vibration changes the position of the barrel upon the bullet leaving the bore.

This is is why free floating of rifles has become standard.

Controlling harmonics is is why tuners have become standard in bench rest shooting.

Its physics.

Boolit Buddy

Ideally what you are trying to achieve is the barrel freely vibrating the same with every shot so that the bullet leaves the bore at the same point during these vibrations.

Banned

Short barrels do not suffer from that. It is why a pistol can shoot better then a rifle. Short and stiff.

Boolit Buddy

Um.....ok

anyways. Harmonics. All barrels are subject to it.

Im not arguing the point with you.
    I have pointed out the facts. Nothing more needs said.

Looking forward to hunting with a Franken-Ruger.
    I like the field practical concept. A traditionalist I am not.
    I am of the mindset/belief that putting pressure on the barrel will change POI.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Banned

Every rifle I ever customized had a free float, I fully believe in it but never found a problem with short barrels. You can even rest a rifle barrel on a bag if you find the "node point."
    I rest revolver barrels near the muzzle and sight my .500 and .475 from bags, still hit to 120 yards off hand. The front bag has never been a problem, recoil removes the barrel from the bag instantly, it is the grip that causes problems.
    I had a problem hitting high off hand until I found I was the problem, holding lighter then from bags. Gun came up faster. I do not believe in the frame on a bag or sticks.
    That thing might work if you have no control. Just might be a good idea. I would not call it "harmonics" though.

So, you are suggesting that indiscriminate placement on the barrel (and it depends what is actually touching the barrel [bag versus hard surface] may change POI in a revolver depending on where it is placed?
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieBishop View Post
    So, you are suggesting that indiscriminate placement on the barrel (and it depends what is actually touching the barrel [bag versus hard surface] may change POI in a revolver depending on where it is placed?
    No, my barrel can be anywhere on the front bag. It just leaves the bag so fast it has no affect. It is at the rear that counts. Much different then a rifle. I actually rest the grip on a bag too but bag tension will change elevation. The rear bag must be consistent or you will string. It is like "roll" with a revolver. Let the gun roll in hand and you will not hit anything.
    The revolver POI is 100% dependent on recoil. Some grips are sensitive to hold and I can not shoot a Bisley because a few ounces change drives me nuts. S&W 29's the same. SRH just needs FIRM. You can move around on a hog leg. A RH is a pain. It is all in your hand and when I shoot deer with my .475 I talk to myself, "hold tight." The .44 is a lot easier.Attachment 115361This is three shots off hand at 100 with my SBH after sighting from bags. Crazy 3/4" group. Had to go up and get the camera.
    It is NOT the barrel. Please don't ask me to do this again! My normal is 6" at 100 off hand. Just had a good day but I kill deer to 120 yards off hand after sighting from bags.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Every rifle I ever customized had a free float, I fully believe in it but never found a problem with short barrels. You can even rest a rifle barrel on a bag if you find the "node point."
    I rest revolver barrels near the muzzle and sight my .500 and .475 from bags, still hit to 120 yards off hand. The front bag has never been a problem, recoil removes the barrel from the bag instantly, it is the grip that causes problems.
    I had a problem hitting high off hand until I found I was the problem, holding lighter then from bags. Gun came up faster. I do not believe in the frame on a bag or sticks.
    That thing might work if you have no control. Just might be a good idea. I would not call it "harmonics" though.
    I think you have worked out a great set of techniques that work for you and many others. I also think that since so many people have different skill levels than you do, they may need different techniques.
    Different hand sizes, different levels of strength in the hands and arms, Different eyes. All these have an effect on groups and abilities. I used to be able to hold steadier than I do now. I used to be able to see better than I do now. Since my arthritis, I can no longer absorb the recoil I used to. I have to make adjustments to try to improve.
    Some of your techniques work for me. Others don't. I use what I can.
    I was never in your class as a shooter on my best days in my life. That still doesn't mean I can use everything you teach.
    I will be happy to try what you suggest. If it doesn't work for me, I will try something else until I find what does work for me.

Boolit Master

45!

(44 + 1)

I sight and test all revolvers with the barrel rested in a v groove rest and the butt on a sandbag.

I do not notice a change in poi when shooting off hand.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast