Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Lee who?? Lyman what???

Lee who?? Lyman what???

I guess it's true you really do get what you pay for. Just got my new NOE 180 k31 mold and this has got to be the best mold ever. Sorry lee its been good while it lasted and move over lyman my money is going on NOE's from now own. I can't even imagine it getting any better. I have been a diehard Lee fan because of ecconomics and lyman simply for design but NOE is money well worth spending.

Glad that you're happy. I am too with my LEE molds.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    quality tools make any job easier and can be a pleasure to use

Moderator Emeritus
    I gave up fighting with Lee and their moulds years ago, life is too short and my pastimes are supposed to be fun.

NOE is my mould maker of choice now, Accurate is a close second but their calibre and meplat limitations means that they cannot make many of the moulds I would like them to.
    Last edited by dromia; 08-30-2014 at 03:00 AM.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Noe = money well spent

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Glad that you're happy. I am too with my LEE molds.
    I am happy with my Lee's also, but this Noe mold is for the time being way better. Time may tell a different story, as for now, the first 500 or so cast like a dream. Boolits dropped right out with almost a mirror image and no seams on them. I can't tell were the mold halves are on the boolit [ NO SEAMS]. It looks like it was swaged in a form. That looks like better long range capabilities to me, but only range time can tell that. If they shoot as good as they cast

Boolit Grand Master

Never bought a mould I didn't like once I learned to cast with it. Some need a few finishing touches here and there but I like them all. A quality mould like NOE or HM2 just needs a little practice, proper adjustments and perhaps a little breaking in. Still looking forward to my first Accurate mould but I have no doubt I'll be pleased with his work as well. I've always been happy with my Lee moulds, most were sold by Ranch Dog and I suspect Michael held Lee to a little higher standard than their usual.
    Glad you finally got to experience a high quality mould, NOE is my first stop when I'm looking for a new one.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I think it's:
    Robert E. Lee
    Lyman Beecher -- a Presbyterian minister, American Temperance Society co-founder
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Try an accurate iron mold.

Boolit Master

I fail to see how no seam can make a better long range bullet. I assume you were talking about wind resistance, but by the time a bullet goes down the barrel, I'm pretty sure all the rifling grooves have negated anything the seam might have imparted to the bullet. But then I rarely shoot past 200 yards. For the most part ALL the better moulds I have, Accurate, Noe, HM2, Mihec are easier to cast with than my LEE's, but LEE still makes some custom designs that the others won't make, so I am stuck with them. I have mostly figured out how to make them work, it just takes more dedication and time. I wish LEE would make an optional REAL commercial quality mould. Use a bit harder aluminum and design a pivot system that lasts longer than 500 bullets, not the cheesy self-tapping screws they use now. Something that is adjustable and with some sort of set screw. And figure out a way to keep the alignment pins from getting pushed in/falling out. I have a couple of 44-40 moulds that have cast a couple hundred thousand bullets, but all the pivots have been changed out, doesn't even look like a LEE mould anymore. And also have a smaller block for the bullets that are 150 grains and smaller. One block does NOT fit all. HM2 fit 6 bullets in a 3" block, why can't LEE? Cut the current black in half and double up on the holes or something similar.