RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Scope/ring advice for a Marlin 1895

Boolit Buddy

Scope/ring advice for a Marlin 1895

I just acquired a brand new Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70. ( Had to wait 4 months). For those of you who do not know what they look like, it has a gray laminate stock, along with a stainless barrel, and a full length magazine. First off, I am looking at what scope I want to put on. I am looking very hard at the Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20. It seems to be a decent scope, plus I like the 4 inch eye relief. Also, midway currently has them for 229. Is this a good scope for the gun, or should I be looking at something else?
    Secondly, if I go with a black scope on a stainless gun, I am thinking that stainless rings would look pretty cool on the set-up! ( I am 29 and like pretty guns!!) (I an single so give me a break!!!!)I will want the lowest rings that will work, because of cheek weld. So have at it! Different scope? Black rings? Any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    Before you buy anything, go to Natchez and check out the Bushnell Elite 3200 Bone Collector 250 reticle. Not the 600 reticle, same scope different eye relief and stadia lines. This scope has over 5 inches of eye relief and is as clear as my Leupold VX3 scopes...really! It's $169 on close out and was around four hundred before that. It has a lifetime warranty and if for any reason you don't like the scope the first year you own it, Bushnell will buy it back. I actually sold off a nice Leupold to get another one of these scopes I like them so much. Dollar for dollar I've never seen anything even close to them in quality. Natchez has a printing error on their web page and catalog. They list the 250 reticle as the same eye relief as the 600 reticle but that is not correct. I know that because I called and verified it with Bushnell. The 250 has over five inches of eye relief and the 600 has about 3.5" of eye relief. Same scope but one is for large calibers/muzzle loaders and the other is for other centerfire rifle calibers. They don't have mildots, they have stadia lines. The 250 lines are closer together due to the mortor like ballistics of the 45-70 and most in line muzzle loaders.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the heads up! I do have a question though. With the 40 mm objective, will that place the scope too high for good cheek/stock weld?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! I do have a question though. With the 40 mm objective, will that place the scope too high for good cheek/stock weld?
    Not at all. I have one on a Low Wall with the straight grip stock and the cheek weld is excellent. If any stock was going to cause a problem with cheek weld and a scope that would be one to do it. FWIW, I've never found a 40mm objective to cause a cheek weld problem on any gun I own/owned, and that's a lot of guns.

Boolit Master

You are right to look at eye relief as the number one requirement for a scope on that rifle. Sooner or later, it will get you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    You are right to look at eye relief as the number one requirement for a scope on that rifle. Sooner or later, it will get you.
    I won't use any scope with less than 4" of eye relief on my inline muzzle loaders or my 45-70. I finally got "my mark" at age 63 with my inline.

Boolit Grand Master

I like a low powered variable compact scope on my Guide Gun. Mine's a Leupold but I like the Nikons.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I would like to jump in here and recommend a Bushnell TRS25 Red Dot Sight for your gun. It is much faster target acquisition than any scope and to the limits of a .45-70's range it will work very well.

NSB will comment on the Parallax error of this sight however I assure you it won't be a factor on a rifle.

They are $90 most everywhere and are the most highly rated inexpensive optic you can buy. (check Reviews)

Attached to your receiver (It mounts to a normal Picatinny Rail) it will be lower than any scope. You can mount it anywhere on the gun as eye relief is not a problem. I would mount it even with the front of the receiver above the ejection port. You also retain your iron sights for back up.

After looking at the Marlin Catalog I see your gun already has the rail so for $90 you're up and running.

Here's a pic of one mounted to my Ruger Gunsite Scout for shooting 3 gun events. It is using the same basic XS brand rail as your gun came with.

It is so fast on target I have to tell myself to pull the trigger. For shooting moving targets like pigs a Red Dot Sight can't be beat.

That will be one cool looking gun!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-01-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I had a burris timberline on my marlin 30-30.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition