Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee Mosin and NEI bore rider in the SMLE and 03A3

Banned

Question Lee Mosin and NEI bore rider in the SMLE and 03A3

Been messing about with Lee CTL 312 160 2R #90361 and NEI 308-188 GC DD in mint SC 03A3 (4 Groove) and unissued 1954 SMLE MK4 #2. They cast out w/wheelweight @ .312 (Lee) & .311.5 (NEI).
    The NEI also comes in @ 197-210 gr as cast. Tried running them thru my SAECO lubesizer @.311 (largest 30 I have), results were lousy. Then I too a bunch and just affixed the GC with the SAECO, pan lubed them with SPG and punched them out with my Lyman .318 Kake-Cutter.

Tried 13.5 Unique no filler, std WW LR and tip up muzzle before shooting.

The NEI would not work in the 03 due to the throating for spitzers. It would shoot 5 of the Lee into 1" @ 50 (6X scope) and @100 4 of 5 in 2".

The SMLE (4X scope) would shoot the Lee 4 of 5 of the LEE into 1" @ 50 and 4 of 5 into 2" @ 100.
    The NEI put 4 of 5 in 1.5" @ 50 and 5 in 3" @ 100.

No signs of tipping in any and all.

Velocity (Chrongraphed) ran +-1300-1400.

The Lee bullet is hard to cast, the NEI easy.

Next idea is cast more, do a tough weight segregation and try different loads. I want to focus on the SMLE as I have not really bench tested it with jacketed loads whereas the 03 with S&B 180 FMJs factory ammo will shoot 5 into 1.25" @100.

As an aside, I have about 500 190 gr .311 round nose GC cast about 30 years ago by a friend, lubed in an ancient Lyman lube sizer with the nasty black Lyman lube. With this load the 03 will shoot 5 into 1.25" @ 50 with 3 touching. Progress ? sometimes I wonder, especially when I see these whiz bang tactical and scout rifles tested in the rifleman that can't hold 1MOA with premium ammo.

Any thoughts, advice appreciated. Please don't tell me I need another mold !

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mr Humble; 09-01-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee 155 gr 2R mold in .311
    Last week I was getting 3/4" groups out of my Savage Tactical in .308 Win at 100 yards using 20 grains of 2400 and the bullets sized to .309
    I did a thread about using it a 600 yards too.
    The bullet shoots well sized .311 in my Lee Enfield, and I get excellent results in my Mosin Nagants.
    In a few weeks I hope to post results from some of the rifles with a NOE 198 gr SPGC mold that I am working up loads for all rifles.
    Using Unique may not be the answer for you for accuracy.
    I am going to try Reloader 7 and see how it will perform.
    I also shoot SR 4759 , 4198 and 5744 with good results.
    I dont think you need a new mold, just a different powder, or more testing with seating depth , and different powder charges of Unique.
    Most of my rifles shoot best at 1800 FPS with any bullet at 100 Yards

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Humble View Post
    Any thoughts, advice appreciated.
    Accuracy comes with much research & experimentation as there are many variables.
    Keep a thorough log book and focus on one rifle at a time.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned

In 308 win the 5744 really shines for me. It is one of my favorite powders. If you can find any 2400 or 4227 those work well too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Accuracy comes with much research & experimentation as there are many variables.
    Keep a thorough log book and focus on one rifle at a time.
    Thanks. Having been a "nut behind a bolt" (and lever, break action, falling block, pump and charging handle) for 58 years, my notebooks would fill a small library. (Want a load for Dupont 80 in an 8.15x46 ?) One rifle at a time is boring, wastes time with cool off and I find no problem in setting up 4 targets, shooting 4 rifles and with the spotting scope and notebook avoiding confusion.

I find, using wheel weights, that the Mosin mold like very hot metal to fill out well. cast a bunch of them yesterday (and 452GCs for Bushmaster, .458PBs for 45-70 and .284s for 7x57/7mag).

Gonna try 30 gr 4895 in the SMLE with the NEI seated to fit the magazine (could be longer if single loaded).

Speed Goat draw got me a buck license opening 9/10 so have a lot of shooting (Deer & Elk open 9/15) quickly.
    6.5x55, 7x57, 7mmRM, 30-06, 300 WM & H&Hs, 400 Whelen, 450/400, 450 Bushmaster and 45-70.
    probably the 6.5 for Antelope (M96 Swede) and 300WM (Benelli R1) for deer and elk (in Griz country)

Boolit Master
    Try adding a little Plumbers Solder 95/5 lead free stuff to your Wheel Weight metal.
    The higher Tin and Antimony will make your metal Flow Better, and the extra hardness will help too.
    I buy pure Tin and Antimony for my smelting, but being in construction, the plumbers are always leaving scraps of solder, or a wind or two on the spool when they throw a roll away.

Banned

Question

More on the SMLE. It is a new rifle only lacking the greased burlap wrap. Segregated a bunch of the NEIs that came in (naked) at 207 +- 2/10th gr. Locked on the GCs in the SAECO and then pan lubed them (no sizing).
    Tried 30 gr of 4895 and the group is a mystery. There was no "cool down", I just shot them. The hotter the barrel got the smaller the group. Target pic tells it all (50 yards).
    As a "control" I tried 5 Privi 150 gr jacked SPs with 40gr of 4895. A terrible group (50) with vertical stringing that IME is usually a bedding issue.

The metal is very hot and mold fill out is no issue. I have some Ideal #2 metal and may try that if I can find time among hunts.

cast

jacketed