RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 99

Boolit Master

Savage 99

DOM 1949 in 300 savage with Weaver K4. New to me,just picked it up.Bet you want to see a picture.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Banned

No better hunting rifle exists. Enjoy it and yes, a picture or two would be nice.

Boolit Man
    What model is it, EG, R, or RS?

Boolit Master

All it say's on the receiver top is Savage model 99,26A on the lever boss.I took some pics just got to get them down loaded.

Boolit Master
    Pitchers or it dint happen
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    Pitchers or it dint happen
    Pitchers???

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    DOM 1949 in 300 savage with Weaver K4. New to me,just picked it up.Bet you want to see a picture.
    I recently purchased a '49 Savage 99 in 300 Sav as well and love it. Shot it for the first time earlier this week and was impressed with the accuracy. I only fired 5 Jwords using a Lyman peep at 75 yards to sight her in. Was very consistent as when i drifted the sight or raised the peep it responded accordingly. Hope to shoot some cast boolits in it in the very near future and report back with some promising loads.

Congratulations on a fine rifle and look forward to some pics.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master

Here's some pics.How do you tell what model?Attachment 114776Attachment 114777Attachment 114778Attachment 114779

Boolit Master

Looks same as mine which makes it an EG. I'm not a 99 expert by a long shot but i do believe the diamond shaped checkering on the forearm places it as an EG (although the later 'R' versions have it as well according to the article linked below).

Great write up explaining the varying models -
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...l-99-do-I-have

Pic of mine -
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 08-28-2014 at 05:16 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Savage 99's are beautiful works of art

Boolit Grand Master

Savage 99

It's either an R or EG. I can't see the forearm tip in the pics. If it has a schnable it's an EG. By the forearm length alone in the pic it looks like an EG. The R models had a forearm slightly less than 9" w/ a blunt tip.

It wasn't factory drilled and tapped for the scope so I hope you got a good deal on it.

Banned

It's an EG and a nice one. Mine isn't drilled and tapped, but it isn't that nice either. What it is is an easy carrying, fine handling and pointing and accurate hunting rifle in a good caliber. I put a Lyman peep sight on mine. Of the six 99s I have, that EG is the smoothest. Slick as glass.

An R is going to have a fatter forend and be factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Savage 99's are based off the features they had as well as the time frame, models can be difficult to decipher at times. Often times barrel length, forend, barrel address, rotor (brass or aluminum) etc comes into play. From what I can see of it's features I would agree that it is an EG, one of the easier to decipher and most prevalent.

Here are some photos of a few of mine. The bottom one has since been refurbished and new stock located. I have one more project rifle in the basement that I putting together.

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Banned

I am in the process of detail cleaning a 99H carbine in .303 Savage. I haven't disassembled very many of them, but am always amazed at how simple and well made they are when I do. A design that was truly ahead of it's time, a much, much superior rifle to either Winchester or Marling lever action offerings from about the same timeframe. It's a shame they are not still made.

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats, looks like a nice one. Been looking long?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacker Berg View Post
    An R is going to have a fatter forend and be factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts.
    Only if it was made from 1950 on. They had iron sights before this. And like EGs had the 99 marking on top of the receiver. Which is the dead giveaway that it wasn't drilled and tapped from the factory.

Boolit Master
    Bushwacker Berg
    3-T/Ds and a Feather weight. Lucky dog you!!

Overmax, thanks. It's a small collection compared to many.

When the factory got smart and started drilling and tapping for the scope mounts they moved the Savage 99 from the top of the receiver to the side so they wouldn't drill through the lettering. Some rifles will also be marked with their model designation on the forearm where it butts up against the spindle. I only have one so marked but it is serial numbered and marked with an EG on it. The Book Savage 99 by Murray is the best reference to them. I did my collecting several years ago, so I am not as well versed as I was at the height of my "sickness"

Any way you look at it they are a great rifle and will serve you well. Cast bullets in my 300 Savage and .303 Savage I tend towards the 165 grain roundnose, gaschecks. They seem to shoot better then 150 grain. The 303 also liked the mold my uncle loaned me in 180 grain spitzer gascheck that he had for his 30-06. Can't remember the mold off the top of my head. I believe it was an older Ideal.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Another plug for the Murray book. Just starting my Savage collection and found some very good info in that little book. Found mine on Amazon.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I first got the 99 bug while visiting the wife's family in Rhode Island this summer.Her cousin had one and we were working a deal so I could have it.His wife said no.It was perfect in all aspects! So... I started looking.The one in the picture sn 527xxx,had been d/t'd,a shame too,because one hole is of a different size,now that sucks.The forearm # doesn't match the frame and butt stock.But the bore is really good and the scope is in good shape.Now since it had already been "screwed up",I re-blued and cleaned the wood.The case hardening on the lever was good so I left it be. I have 2 boxes of 150 Remington corelok + 3,I would like to find some more brass though.What would be great is if I could find the original forearm.I'm sure that is not likely to happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast