RepackboxLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 99

Boolit Buddy
    My Savage 99EG in .300 Savage is from 1956 but did not ship from the warehouse until 1962 per letter from John Calahan. The lever boss code is from 1952 as receivers were made and then stored till complete assembly orders hit the factory floor. Mine is one of the most accurate rifles in my collection and kills deer right smart. My hand loads using RL-12 launch a 150 grain WWPP @ 2700 fps and groups under an inch at 100 yards. When it comes to hunting performance, there are no flies in the .300 Savage ointment what so ever.

Here's a photo of my four .300 Savages. My 99EG, 721 Remington from 1949, Rem 700 Classic from 2003, and my Rem 7600 pump from 2006 ( a limited run of 300 pcs).

358 Win

Boolit Buddy
    358 Win,
    I always found RL-12 to be THE powder in the 300 Savage. Others come close but none surpass it in my experience. Too bad it's discontinued

Here's a look at my .300 EG. It'd already been drilled and tapped for a scope when I bought it. I mounted a vintage Weaver 60B in 4x for deer hunting and target work. It's surprisingly accurate for a lever gun. With J-word boolits it'll do a bit over one MOA at 100 yds off the porch rail. The group below was from that distance and typical of what it's capable of. I've yet to try cast through it, but the jacketed groups do indicate a superb barrel. You might try backing off on the fore end screw 1/4 turn and see if that gives you better accuracy. Best regards, Rod

In Remembrance
    I missed a sweet deal yesterday. Always a day late and a dollar short seems like. lol

I went to our local smiths place, he works out of his garage, I was just there to pick up some brass a member here was in need of, and there in his used gun rack was a sweet M99 in 250/3000. Sweet as in a very nice shooter not a collector, just the way I like them. One is not any kind of priority, but I have always thought one would be a great little brother to the 300, and this was a nice gun with a 450 dollar price tag. GROAN, someone had put a hundred dollars down on it the day before, I didn't even know he would do such a thing, it was enough to make a grown man cry almost. lol

Finding a 250 anywhere near that price is hard to do in my area. Prices lately have been in the $600 just because it's a 250. I got lucky and got mine before the interest really peaked. I've never shot cast through mine, maybe some day. If that deal falls through, I would jump on it for that kind of money if you can. Killed several deer and antelope with mine and this year my son has been eyeballing it for coyotes.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance
    I would and will jump on in a heartbeat. The last one I seen for that price was several years ago (actually from the same guy) He had it at a gunshow, and I bet I went back and picked it up at least a dozen times. I finally talked myself out of it because it had a new barrel on it, and to me it just didn't look right with the new barrel on an old looking action.
    I wound up kicking myself, as it turned out a guy I knew bought it and the newer barrels had a different twist, and it was a tack driver with 120 gr bullets. If I had of known about this one, I would have brought it home, even with the risk of getting caught before I could get it to the gun room, where it could have been there for months before the wife found out about it. lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    Here's a look at my .300 EG. It'd already been drilled and tapped for a scope when I bought it. I mounted a vintage Weaver 60B in 4x for deer hunting and target work. It's surprisingly accurate for a lever gun. With J-word boolits it'll do a bit over one MOA at 100 yds off the porch rail. The group below was from that distance and typical of what it's capable of. I've yet to try cast through it, but the jacketed groups do indicate a superb barrel. You might try backing off on the fore end screw 1/4 turn and see if that gives you better accuracy. Best regards, Rod

Don't overlook cast in that EG. Mine shoots them well and isn't very particular about nose profile, though I did have to seat the NOE 311041 clone deeper than the original 31141 I started out with. Mine isn't drilled and tapped so I have the limitations of iron sights, but it still shoots plenty well enough for any hunting application I am likely to do.

Boolit Master

Rodfac what bases do you have for the scope?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 451whitworth View Post
    358 Win,
    I always found RL-12 to be THE powder in the 300 Savage. Others come close but none surpass it in my experience. Too bad it's discontinued
    That has been my opinion for over 20 years of using RL-12 also. That's why when Alliant announced the demise of RL-12 I went on the local gun shop circuit and bought 19 pounds, all in LOT # 012. I have two pounds of LOT # 003, one pound of L0T # 011 and still got sixteen pounds of LOT # 012. I've also worked with LOT # 006. Only LOT # 011 is slower in burning speed than all the other lot #'s tried. I've been using LOT # 011 in my 30-06's where it really shines. Along with being super in the .300 Savage, it also shines in my .35 Remingtons and my .358 Winchesters. It is in the .300 Savage that RL-12 has really shown me what the .300 Savage is truly capable of both in velocity and accuracy. I loaded the 150 grain WWPP in my Remington 721 .300 Savage to 2850 fps and was just starting to get a bit of sticky extraction. My loads are kept to 2700 fps in respect to the Model 99EG's "weaker" action and that's what I shoot out of all four of my .300 Savages. If I can't kill what ever needs killing with a 150 grain soft point at 2700 fps, I'm gonna stay home and play yahtzee with my wife!

358 Win

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

the only one I own. Wish I had a cabinet full of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

the only one I own. Wish I had a cabinet full of them.-fatnhappy

Maybe your only one but it's sure a nice one! Nice wood.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    The savage 1899/99: the Cadillac of lever actions. They're like redheads: once you've had one, you never go back!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    The savage 1899/99: the Cadillac of lever actions. They're like redheads: once you've had one, you never go back!
    I had a redhead once but then my wife quit dying her hair that color...

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know. My 99s aren't bat **** crazy like every red head I know.

taylor Those mount bases and rings are Weavers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    taylor Those mount bases and rings are Weavers.
    base numbers?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    the only one I own. Wish I had a cabinet full of them.-fatnhappy

Maybe your only one but it's sure a nice one! Nice wood.

It gets even better. There's an American made marbles knife in the sheath and bausch & lomb binos in the bag. When I traded for that rifle at a company Christmas party it still had factory grease in the action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

358 WCF
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12