WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA round in a SA rifle

Boolit Buddy

LA round in a SA rifle

I was thinking of a single shot rifle, then got to thinking I read somewhere you could rebarel a SA rifle to la and just single load it. The kicker being having to pull the bolt to unload a live round But with the myriad of rem 700 barrels on gunbroker for $50( way cheaper than a hr) Is this thinking correct, could my 243 be a pita 30-06 ? I realize it will only be cheap if it head spaces correctly , which do to modern manufacturing I think it would be likely.

Boolit Master
    OK, first off, what's wrong with a 243? It's a good round, and with the correct bullets is good for anything from chucks to deer. So unless you're going after bear, elk, or something else big, going to a 30-06 isn't really needed.

That said, next up is the technical issue of headspacing. The Rem 700 isn't like a Savage where you set the headspace with a nut... your odds of having proper headspace with a random barrel is going to be a crapshoot, most likely you would need to take it to a smith to get headspaced, and I doubt any good smith will set a LA barrel on a short action.

If you really need a 30 caliber, get a 308, but you'll still need to have it headspaced properly to ensure that it will be safe to fire.

For the cost of a barrel and headspacing, you could just get a H&R single shot. JMHO, YMMV.

Boolit Grand Master

That used to be common on 1000 yd rifles for high power. Sleeve a remington 700 short action and chamber for 300 win mag, 6.5 284, 7 mag or many others. Worked some what okay but was a real pain when a cease fire was called unexpectedly. ( Can happen at Perry with the whim of any fisherman around the impact area out on the lake ). with the sleeve a scew type bolt stop was incorporated meaninf turn it out open bolt and pull everything out the back. It was a real PITA. Magazines wouldnt work either. There is a guy making barrels threaded savage style with the nut for 700 remingtons now. I think I would have the recoil lug pined using one. A bernard, kelby or other single shot bolt action is much more appropriate in this instance.

JMHO: Keep the .243 Win. as koehlerrk suggests. I also agree with koehlerrk about the headspacing (only a gunsmith, unless you know what your are doing!) I very much like the .243, though the one I have is is a Rem. 700 I shortened and pillar post bedded about 17 years ago for our son to use when he was 14. It can handle a varied weight of boolits, and seems to be an inherently accurate cartridge. Unfortunately, he does not shoot guns now after coming out of the Army as a medic.

The 30-06 is a great cartridge, but as far as putting holes in paper, even if the target is charging the .243 is equal to the job. I also agree with chucks to deer.

I like the idea of the H&R suggestion, or start looking for an older single shot action to use for a project gun. I actually like loading singly, no matter the action when I am target shooting. It slows down the rate of fire, keeps the barrel cooler, and saves on primers, powder, lead, tin, my shoulder, my back, etc.

Geez, I guess I could have saved space and time with a +1.

Boolit Master
    There is really nothing a 06 can do that a 308 can't . If you need to go with more velocity in a short action, go short mag or wildcat round.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Buddy
    I have an elk hunt coming up, and very limited $$$. I have don enough internet research to know its a FACT that a 243 will bounce off of an elk look it up. The 30-06 was mostly just for example since we all no it's standard length same bolt face ect. The crapshoot of headspaceing man I have to believe big green is doing everything in modern. Manufacturing to make as many rifles as they can screw together and be good to go. But yes it's a risk. But for a $50 barrel I can screw in myself it I feel beats a HR and saves me $200 to boot. Thanks for the advice fellas. I did not intend to sound snide just then It typed out wrong. I kindof hate to buy a rifle to use once and if I borrow one it insures something will happen to it and I'll have to buy the dern thing anyway. Plus I like to consider the obscure Thanks much

Boolit Grand Master

A .243 "bouncing off" an elk? A "FACT"?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnba67 View Post
    I have don enough internet research to know its a FACT that a 243 will bounce off of an elk look it up.
    Shawnba67... just a cursory search showed me that there are more posts from successful elk hunts with 243 than there are complaints about bullets "bouncing off". Remember it's all about shot placement, not caliber. If you're not confident your shot will kill then you probably shouldn't pull the trigger.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Generally speaking a REM 700 barrel from one 700 will headspace correctly on another 700. The problem is that the odds of the sights indexing properly are about 359-1 against that happening. I have done this several times over the years (mostly converting 243-308 and such to 22-250 varmint weight barrels which, fortunately, don't have sights) and every time the headspace was correct but I never had the sights even remotely line up. I did a couple of 17s to 223, and 1-222 to 222MAG, filled the holes, polished, blued and scoped the rifle.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

I have an elk hunt coming up, and very limited $$$. I have don enough internet research to know its a FACT that a 243 will bounce off of an elk look it up...........
    That has to be in the top 10 most redonkulous posts of 2014......jmho
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Buddy
    For every one killed with a 243 they're are 1000 people to recommend against. It. Now I've never shot an elk, and I do believe that under the right circumstances 243 will kill anything walking. But if for. $50 I could start off with a bigger bullet seems like money well spent. I do believe I read that the short action will eject an empty shell so then throwing another in wouldn't add minutes to a follow up shot if needed. The bounce off reference was for dramatization So it will likely headspace just probly be gangsta on the sights. Scope won't notice that.

In Remembrance
    Wouldn't 358 be a better choice?? Or is it that you have a line on a cheap 06 barrel already.

If for some reason a 243 was all I could muster up, I would use it, but I started out with 30 cal years ago and only went up from there, so have no experience with 243. I have known a lot of elk hunters, and only knew a couple that used 270, never knew anyone that went with a 243. I have heard many times over the years, that the 6.5 x 55 is the preferred cal for them in places.

Boolit Grand Master

Barnes Bullets - Triple Shock X in the 243 will work for any reasonable shot. Watched a young girl shoot a large bull buffalo with one. Worked very well. Two steps and it went down.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/in...ea16666d45f154

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295989

http://www.biggamehunt.net/forum/killing-elk-243-0

http://www.thediyhunter.com/big-game...270-wsm-rifles

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=424963
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-01-2014 at 01:16 AM.

For every one killed with a 243 they're are 1000 people to recommend against. It. Now I've never shot an elk, and I do believe that under the right circumstances 243 will kill anything walking. But if for. $50 I could start off with a bigger bullet seems like money well spent. I do believe I read that the short action will eject an empty shell so then throwing another in wouldn't add minutes to a follow up shot if needed. The bounce off reference was for dramatization So it will likely headspace just probly be gangsta on the sights. Scope won't notice that.
    Sounds like your mind is made up, but heck if I wouldn't work up a good load with a Barnes or Nosler made for penetration for the .243, as others have suggested. Boolit placement and distance... People DO kill elk with .243 Wins. This late in the game you might be opening up yourself for more problems than can be made right with your barrel swap in the short time you have to deal with. Gunsmiths are pretty hammered with work just now. JMHO.

I would give it a shot. Never had the least desire to use a .243 on elk, and even if the rifle headspaced poorly it would likely be close enough for your needs. If it doesn't work you won't be out much if you sell the barrel.

As far as being a psuedo single shot, so is an H&R... Have fun and be glad you have the opportunity, health, and means to get out and hunt!

Maybe a 338Fed or 358Win would make more sense for your 243, next year? Both are orphans, uh, obscure. Check this site for good daydreaming ideas:

http://www.35caliber.com/

This year borrow something that makes you feel more confident or load up something heavy for the 243 and practice with it. Nolser make a 100gr Partition. Or put a 308 barrel on it for now...

Just a thought...
    Last edited by ol skool; 09-01-2014 at 02:52 AM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koehlerrk View Post
    ...........and I doubt any good smith will set a LA barrel on a short action........
    Remington sent a lot of 40x rifles out of their doors in 300 win mag and a lot of people bought those rifles. There are also a lot of long range guys using short actions with long action cartridges because short actions are supposable stiffer. It will work your looking at a single shot proposition and you will most likely have to pull the bolt to eject a loaded round. Headspacing a take off barrel might be spot on or might be a mile off. You might look into a Remage barrel. Its a barrel with a nut set up like a Savage that works on a Remington action. Or maybe trade the rifle for something with a little more punch.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Love Life
    I have an elk hunt coming up, and very limited $$$. I have don enough internet research to know its a FACT that a 243 will bounce off of an elk look it up. The 30-06 was mostly just for example since we all no it's standard length same bolt face ect. The crapshoot of headspaceing man I have to believe big green is doing everything in modern. Manufacturing to make as many rifles as they can screw together and be good to go. But yes it's a risk. But for a $50 barrel I can screw in myself it I feel beats a HR and saves me $200 to boot. Thanks for the advice fellas. I did not intend to sound snide just then It typed out wrong. I kindof hate to buy a rifle to use once and if I borrow one it insures something will happen to it and I'll have to buy the dern thing anyway. Plus I like to consider the obscure Thanks much
    You are 100% correct that the .243 Winchester will bounce off an elk. It is indisputable fact and anybody who says otherwise is not in the know.

You also stand a very high chance of a random barrel headspacing correctly on your random bolt.

I see much success in your future and please let us know how the 1st range trip goes.

Do you have headspace gauges?

In Remembrance
    I have one of those cheap remingtons in 300 win mag I could sure be traded out of real easy. What ya got to trade. It has never been proven on elk, but worke on moose, bear and carryboo, so probably will not bounce of an elk.

Boolit Master
    So why not a .308, there are usually a few .308 Rem 700 barrels just as cheap. While I do know a few ranchers and guides that use a .243 on elk, I don't believe a single shot requiring bolt removal is the answer, in ANY caliber. A casual glance on Gunbroker showed a few .308 Rem 700 barrels. While I suppose a .243 might bounce off those '400 point shooter bulls' on the whisper channels, I have managed to kill a few elk with the .308. For elk a Barnes or the Nosler Partition will both avoid ricochets of that tough hide using a .243. Under elk hunting conditions (10 degrees and blowing snow, pulling a rifle bolt could be very 'inconvenient' for a second shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast