MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other Folks Reloads

Boolit Master

Other Folks Reloads

Mods if this is in the wrong place please move.

I know it has been hashed out thoroughly on this and other forums, but in light of today's events I feel it bears repeating. Safety and attention during the loading process (go ahead, yawn.....)

A friend told me a couple weeks ago about some .38 Special loads her father had made for her. Many would not go off and some sounded markedly louder than the rest. I told her not to shoot any more and to let me disassemble some and see what is wrong. What I found has me concerned for anyone shooting this ammo.

A handful had boolits loaded upside down. Lots of boolit shaving from improperly belled cases. Several loaded over fired primers. One primer sideways in its pocket, crushed of course. Probably a third or better of them had no powder whatsoever in the case (BIB anyone??).

All the cases are now unloaded and decapped and the brass is tumbling. I will make her some safe loads.

I know how easy it is to take safety during loading for granted. After all, it is not technically difficult and parts of the procedure can be downright mundane. But please, when you sit at the bench to load a batch, check your equipment. Make sure components are correct, everything is secure, and that the powder measure is working properly. Keep in mind just how much pressure is going off in your hand or mere inches from your eyes.

Stay safe and enjoy our hobby. Remember the "safe" part.

in Remebrance
    Just re-enforces one of my inviolate rules: I never, for any reason whatsoever, shoot someone else's handloads. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Man
    DO not take this the wrong way, but you say not trust someone else's reloads, then say you are going to reload for her. Just sounds wrong. John

Boolit Buddy
    Early in my reloading career I had a couple of squib rounds. I caught both of them before a disaster, as each left the bullet in the barrel.

Then I ran across the RCBS lockout die. I use a Hornady LNL AP progressive, and bell the casemouth on the powder drop. The lockout die occupies station 3 and will catch either a squib load (no powder) or a double charge, and in both cases, lock up the stroke of the press. I probably haven't had it catch more than 6 or 7 rounds in probably 10,000+ rounds reloaded, but how many would be enough? For me, one.

It even has caught a couple light loads, ones that I'm sure would have worked still.

I have two, one set up for my standard 9mm and .40 loads, one for my 45's. I wouldn't reload without it, and while it's not the cheapest die you'll ever run across, it surely is the one that gives me the most peace of mind.

I have one person who I would trust to shoot his reloads. Other than him, nope, don't even buy gun show reloads.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Le Loup Solitaire
    Shooting someone else's reloads is a risky practice; you don't know what they did. A blown up gun and serious injury could result. A better idea IMO would be to remove all doubt and pull down the ammo. Reuse the components if possible,but toss the powder instead of guessing what it might be. Another safe direction is to NOT load for anyone else...you don't know the condition of the firearm they might shoot it in. It is always better to be safe than sorry. LLS

Boolit Master
    There are so many ways this conversation could go...

First - Her father loaded the bad ones - who wouldn't trust their Dad? So many folks out there don't know the first thing about what they DON'T know!! I talk to people all the time who don't know of all the resources available to help them successfully and safely load their own ammo.

Second - as helpful as it sounds, ask yourself if you are doing her a favor by you loading for her, or would it be possible to teach her how to load her own? Don't get me wrong, I load for half a dozen people that would not ever load one for themselves. It's a conscious decision that I made, and one that each person that decides to load for someone else, or let someone else shoot their handloads, should really think about.

I may not know you, but from the tone of your posts on this forum, I would guess you're a pretty good guy, and I don't think I would have any problems shooting your reloads!

my "dos centavos" for what it's worth...

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master

Nhrifle, I think you did the right thing. I am not sure what would cause her dad to do such a terrible job of reloading and then give the boolits to his daughter. I would, however, just to do the right thing, steer her to shot commerical loads if she does not want to learn reloading her own ammo.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

How many of us load for our spouses and kids? How is that different?
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

From personal experience, this sounds like ammunition that was loaded by someone with an alcohol problem they need to get sorted out. I'd pull them all too.

I NEVER shoot anyone else's reloads. If someone gives them to me, I 'll gratefully accept them but will break them down into components.
    I have blown up two guns in my days - a S&W 3914 and my S&W 76 9mm submachinegun. Good thing the 76's are built like tanks. Just blew the face of the bolt off.
    I changed my reloading technique after the 76 blew up. I look into EVERY case to make sure there is powder at roughly the same level every load. I also gauge every round. Yes it slows me down but I have not had one single problem since then....knock on wood.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    I will make her some safe loads.
    One reloading manual I have, says not to spread your reloads around like so many Easter eggs.
    The liability for you is too great. Steer her towards commercial ammunition or buy her a reloading manual to read.
    We as men, tend to "rescue" women from situations. You're no hero and neither am I.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Good insights, all. Yes, I know it is a bit hypocritical to not shoot handloads from another shooter and still be willing to load for someone. If that makes me a hypocrite I'll wear the badge.

The topic of teaching her to load for herself has been discussed and she is anxious to begin. I am giving her a starter press and a good manual, but made the stipulation that she needs to get dies and a scale and showed her what's available. She is currently going over available choices and once she has the needed bits class will start. For now I am just making a couple hundred rounds so she can plink and kill soda cans safely.

I've never taught anyone to reload before, so this should be fun!

Boolit Grand Master

Life is full of choices were we trust other people. We trust other people to drive us around. We trust other people to take care of our kids etc.

I have no problem with shooting someone else's "trusted" reloads. On the other hand I know lots of folks that I would never let drive a vehicle that I am in nor would I ever shoot their reloads.

Personally I have loaded between 3/8 & 1/2 million rounds without an issue. I have taught a couple dozen people to reload and I would not hesitate to shoot any of their reloads. I have tried teaching a couple of people that I had to advise that they should not be reloading. Some people are not safe around tools nor can there use of tools like reloaders be trusted.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-28-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I only trust 2 peoples reloads and my father is no longer here.

Don't give em..don't shoot em...don't trust em..never do give or take reloads from anyone

Boolit Master

Is life not of enough suprises? Every day I go out on the roadways of this USA and I place my life in the hands of complete strangers who are driving 2 ton vehicles at insane speeds. They are also texting, telephoneing, eating, drinking, fighting and sleeping at the same time. If any of them make an error I could die. I have had to practice evasive defensive driving techniques at least a half dozen times to prevent fatal accidents.

I also had a career where I was shot at, shot, stabbed, punched and thrown off a fire escape for twenty years and worked lousy hours for crappy pay in order to be called a Pig or worse for my efforts. I retired from that job in '84 and I have kept my head down, guns loaded and I take every opportunity I can to preserve my hide and life. Why would I ever even consider shooting someone else's reloads?
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by R.M. View Post
    How many of us load for our spouses and kids? How is that different?
    I'm hoping, the attention to detail...
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

I reload for my kids my grand kids and my wife. I treasure them all and we have never had a problem. I have shot reloads from some of my friends and refused to shot reloads from some other people that have the attitude of "that's good enough".
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master
    I've had to date two squib loads and one over pressure load. None of which had any negative impact on the firearms. This over the course of 20+ years. The last one I was teaching my wife's friend to shoot and heard a pop. I quickly grabbed the gun and found a bullet slightly lodged in barrel. I went home and pulled all the rounds apart and couldn't find any other case missing powder. Since this last time I have really been paying attention to throwing the charge and double checking afterwards.
    If someone gives me loads I take them home and pull the apart and load em with my own powder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast